Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep the Fat on Meat? page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

Keep the Fat on Meat?

Primal Fuel
    As I was preparing beef stew and dumplings for my family today, a thought occurred to me: Should the fat be cut off beef stew meat? I've always cut the fat off meat, but I think I read on one of these threads that meat fat melts when cooked. Is that true?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

canio6 Guest
    Some will say to cut it off conventional (not grassfed) meat because of O6. I leave it on, unless it is such a fatty, gristly piece that I can't eat it pleasantly.

As to your question - yes, some of the fat will render off but in my experience with beef/steak etc much of the fat stays on the meat.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Some will say to cut it off conventional (not grassfed) meat because of O6. I leave it on, unless it is such a fatty, gristly piece that I can't eat it pleasantly.

As to your question - yes, some of the fat will render off but in my experience with beef/steak etc much of the fat stays on the meat.
    this
    Georgette

I didn't even think about the toxins in fat, thanks for pointing that out. I still buy quite a bit of conventional meat. I try to get grassfed whenever the budget allows, but it's not as often as I'd like. So trimming the fat it is!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Some will say to cut it off conventional (not grassfed) meat because of O6.
    The PUFA content is still low relative to SFA and MUFA.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    The PUFA content is still low relative to SFA and MUFA.
    Agreed, which is why I said, 'some will say', and why I do not cut it off myself. I just wanted to give both sides

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    In a long slow cooking process, a lot of the fat will render out of the meat, leaving a nice sheen to your stew. Depending on the cut of meat and what I'm doing with it, I'll trim the fat, but more often I leave it on and trim it after.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

peril is offline Senior Member
    Slow cooked lean meat is not as nice as slow cooked fatty meat. Better still with bones. I think the toxins in fat issue is over played. Certainly the O6 content is nowhere near as bad as it made out. Indeed the O6 content of grain fed beef is very similar to that of grass fed beef. It is the O3 content that is different. But even then the O3 content of all beef is insignificant (brains excepted)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    How do you make primal dumplings? Can you post the recipe?

Fat - eat it!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Slow cooked lean meat is not as nice as slow cooked fatty meat. Better still with bones. I think the toxins in fat issue is over played. Certainly the O6 content is nowhere near as bad as it made out. Indeed the O6 content of grain fed beef is very similar to that of grass fed beef. It is the O3 content that is different. But even then the O3 content of all beef is insignificant (brains excepted)
    Well, this is interesting. Now you've got my curiosity raised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast