Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger Tip Pushups page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Finger Tip Pushups

Primal Fuel
    Anyone do pushups on their finger tips? I tried this today, and I could barely support myself on my finger tips. I hear they are great for building hand strength, and they are used in martial arts training. Do you guys find them to be useful/necessary? Are there any risks that outweigh potential rewards? Did you start out doing them or did you have to build up to them?

In one of the martial arts forums, someone said they could lead to blindness due to the force on certain pressure points in the finders and hands. I find this highly improbable though.

Just trying to evaluate if I should go down this road.

Thanks!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Do you guys find them to be useful/necessary?
    Anything that specialized can't be necessary.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I had a piano teacher that made me do finger presses against a wall, much like a push up but with a lot less weight. Eventually, I graduated to fingertips on chairs, fingertip knee push ups to full blown fingertip push ups. I haven't had any problems with functionality. My eyesight is fine (doing them since 8 years old. I'm 36 now). The only benefits I can perceive on myself are better piano/guitar playing. I haven't attempted any tiger claw kung fu strikes or such. There might be a correlation to my grip strength but don't quote me on that.

Fingertip push ups look cool for sure.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    As with anything, start easy and progress but I hardly doubt you'd be missing out on much if you never bothered with them. I sometimes do finger tip push ups (full push ups) but not often enough to really build that up.

I've seen a guy do handstand push ups on only three fingers (thumb, index and middle) now that shit was impressive. I've also seen a video of a buddhist monk doing a handstand using only his index fingers, that shit blew my mind.

I should be more diligent at them. I'd like to hold an L-sit on fingers, or someday do a planche on fingers... but that's assuming I ever achieve a plance in general.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand this is something Roger Maris used to do and would make sense that it would improve grip strength. I have done it and it intensifies any pushup routine. I wouldn't call it specialized at all. Why not make push ups more difficult by getting up on your fingertips.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Ted Williams used to do 100 fingertip pushups, with his feet up on a chair. That has to have helped his legendary power. As for having an effect on eyesight, his remained excellent.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I do 'em! Like others have said, however, they aren't a fundamental or essential exercise. They will make your hands stronger though!

You could do one hand flat/one hand fingertips and do alternating sets like that until you're strong enough to do both hands on the fingertips together. Or do knee fingertip push-ups.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the thoughts. Maybe if they help me get closer to becoming a hall of famer or kung fu master or both, then it's worth it!

Maybe I'll work at them separate from my normal workout routine, and see how far I get.

I guess the question is how essential to me is having strong hands?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Strong hands mean strong arms, don't neglect that ... doesn't have to be just through finger tip push ups, but grip strength is important.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Considering Kenpo has an entire set or two devoted to finger strikes, we practice these to harden the fingers for gouges and soft tissue strikes. It's important to make sure your fingers don't bend back too much or you are just inducing joint stress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast