Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Cramps anyone? page

Mrs. Griffin is offline Junior Member

Muscle Cramps anyone?

So after being woken up very early this morning with a painful cramp in my calf, I have to ask: Can anybody explain why I am getting muscle cramps and what I can do to prevent them? I started having muscle cramps with my first pregnancy, but my youngest child is now 8 years old, so pregnancy cannot be my excuse anymore. My calf usually seizes up during the night or early morning. I have been noticing some minor cramps in my calf over the past week or so, but was able to just walk it off. Last nights however, was the full blown, wake-up Mr. Griffin, tears kind of cramp. I was once told it had to do with my lack of calcium (I have always had problems eating dairy). Any thoughts?

croí is offline Senior Member
    It could be lack of potassium or magnesium. They usually go hand-in-hand. You can either up the veggies that have these vitamins or you can take suppliments around bed time. I still get these on occasion when I forget to take those sups. Best way when you do get them is to stand up, the pain goes away fast.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Up your magnesium intake. Take mag chelate pills or use a powder like Natural Calm. I used to have nightly leg cramps. Also make sure you are well hydrated. Most of us are magnesium deficient and the fluid loss that sometimes accompanies the transition to Primal eating makes it worse.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Classic charlie horse. Do what both ladies have mentioned. I take potassium supplements in the morning and then 500mg magnesium citrate and I very rarely get them anymore. I also drink a gallon+ of water daily. It really, really helps.
    Georgette

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium has helped mine considerably.

Mrs. Griffin is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all! I will definitely have to check out the supplements. Anything has got to be better than the pain . . .

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium also helps with TOTM cramps as well.
    Georgette

davem is offline Senior Member
    what are your micros at?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    We haven't been tracking our macro-nutrients, let alone our micro-nutrients.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is dumb but when I was pregnant my nurse (laughingly) told me to put a bar of soap under my mattress at my feet and they'd go away. I laughed. I did it. They went away. No idea why but its all the help I can offer. Also make sure your getting enough water-I tend to get calf cramps when I'm dehydrated.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast