Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat some more sugar you fat b*stard page

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member

Eat some more sugar you fat b*stard

Primal Fuel
    I'm addicted to sugar as if it were a drug. Even though I know my life is better without it I find it difficult to go a few days without sugar/refined carbs/chocolate. My sugar addiction mirrors a friends alcohol addiction uncannily.

The feeling I get is the same when I used to drink alcohol (I've not drunk alcohol for one year and do not miss it), craving for a 'blow out' for the rush.

I've found stopping eating sugar really very difficult, especially when I'm tired or stressed.

Any advice welcome.

primal bill-e is offline Member
    My advice is to go for a month with NO sugar or sweets of any kind, including all of the fake sweeteners. Do you use them now? They really mess up your natural sweet taste. Drop it ALL for at least a month. That should get you through withdrawal and, even better, kill your taste for all of that too-sweet garbage-----which is what is will taste like to you when you get through this.
    Then, you will be satisfied with the sweetness of fruits, and even plain sweet potatoes will taste sweet to you. And then, maybe, you could do a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate now and then. But maybe not, if this is a true addiction.
    I dropped smoking cold turkey, you can do the same with sweets. I didn't say it was easy, but it is very doable if you will just tough it out for a month.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Eat bacon instead. Seriously. Sugar is incredibly hard to kick, I had a terrible time with it and still do sometimes. Making sure I had enough protein at the start of the day was a big help, and using bacon as an immediate substitute helped.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottsmith View Post
    I'm addicted to sugar as if it were a drug. Even though I know my life is better without it I find it difficult to go a few days without sugar/refined carbs/chocolate. My sugar addiction mirrors a friends alcohol addiction uncannily.

The feeling I get is the same when I used to drink alcohol (I've not drunk alcohol for one year and do not miss it), craving for a 'blow out' for the rush.
    Yes, nothing uncanny about it actually—it is just the same. A drink will spike blood-sugar even faster than sugar. It may be regarded as simply very, very fast sugar. Apparently, AA meetings are full of people who eat sweet things and rush off for doughnuts and coffee afterwards. There are a few people beginning to say that they think that sugar-addiction, which after all begins in childhood, may set people up for alcohol addiction (and possibly drug-addiction, too).

I haven't much advice. I suggest keep pretty low-carb. Once you are basically a fat-burner rather than a sugar-burner, it does become much less of a temptation. Also, you might check out Nora Gedgaudas' book: she suggests some supplements that can help with sugar-craving. One is l-glutamine, which, she says, the brain is capable of using instead of sugar for fuel.

Amazon.com: Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life (9781594774133): Nora T. Gedgaudas: Books

Possibly, if you have trouble with blood-sugar dropping too low, it might be helpful to add in a small snack or two between meals temporarily—say, celery and raw cheese or a hardboiled egg or whatever. (Apparently, even a tablespoon of coconut oil out the jar can work as a pick-me-up.) The current view among the mainstream that frequent small (and carb-laden) meals are necessary all the time for everyone seems darn silly, but maybe a snack is useful sometimes for some people.

The other thing that occurs to me is that it might be worth doing the Mood Cure questionnaire to try to work out whether you might be low in a neurotransmitter—the sugar craving may be an unconscious desire to manipulate your biochemistry to try to make up for that.

The Mood Cure

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    I'm starting with The Whole-30 on Friday in order to kick my sugar habit... I have it in my coffee/tea daily & crave sweet stuff. I think going cold turkey is the way to do it. Go big or go home, right?

We shall see....

croí is offline Senior Member
    I was in the same boat around this time last year. I was a Carbaholic. It takes alot will power. And really unless you set your mind to it, you won't kick it. I thought I had it under control, and then around the holidays last year, it crept right back up. Really you have to stop eating them. You can't wean yourself off of it... that never works. After a month, of mentally holding yourself back from eating the sugar, you'll find it's something you don't really miss.

If that doesn't work, I see that you said you stopped drinking. Could you follow the same method with sugar?

Bettie is offline Senior Member
    i have exactly the same problem and i did had it with alcohol too (i only drink very occasional now).

l-glutamine is something you could try, dr. atkins used it to treat addiction (alcohol sugar and even cocaine) 5-htp could also help you.

good luck!!!

7/14: 156 lbs.
    weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
    7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    The Whole 30 changed my relationship with sugar. Even when I have a bender with it, which I still do, and it seems to set it off for weeks at a time, I am aware of it. I am aware of the way it makes my body feel, of the rush I get, the way my brain reacts, and also aware that I need to curb it and brainstorming ways to reduce sugar. My sugar use has actually ramped up lately, so i am considering a September Whole30 just to get back on track. It is freedom to not be owned by your brain's reaction to a substance. There is also a book called the 21 day sugar detox diet that could help.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottsmith View Post

I've found stopping eating sugar really very difficult, especially when I'm tired or stressed.

Any advice welcome.
    Former mega-sugar addict here, now 4 months sober haha. If you have an hour and a half to kill, go to youtube and watch Dr. Lustig's "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" video. You'll never look at sugar the same. That helped me more than anything, knowing exactly the damage I was doing to my body. Hard to look at those cute little marshmallow peeps as anything other than agents of destruction and disease now. Knowledge is power, you know?

Second thing that really helps is really loading up on protein. The more protein I eat, the less sugar tempts me. And because I did spend such a long time being so addicted to sugar, it's hard for me to think I'll never, ever eat another candy bar for the rest of my life, so I don't look at it like that and when the craving hits (and honestly, it's really not that often anymore) I don't say "no, never!" I just say "no, not now"...it's a little easier to take that way. Will a day ever come that I will dive in to a big bowl of sugary something? I don't know, but now now :-)

If you get sugar cravings at night, try some 5-HTP in the afternoon. It's supposed to help with those evening carb munchies.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a sugarholic until I started the leptin reset. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html Read through the thread and see if its something you can make happen. I would also stay away from fruit, eat low carb(under 50g a day) eat a large protein filled breakfast and make friends with fat. You can do it. Eight weeks later, I can look at sugar and tell it to go the fuck away.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast