Thread: Flank/"Kidney" pain after 4 weeks of going primal? page

georgiek50 is offline Junior Member

Flank/"Kidney" pain after 4 weeks of going primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've been on the primal diet for about 5 weeks now. I think it's the most amazing thing. I've lost 5 pounds effortlessly (literally) and my energy levels have gone through the roof. However, there's one thing bothering me: I started having pain (and continue to do so) under my right lower rib and right flank about 3 weeks into this dietary change. It comes and goes but seems to be present on most days.

I had my scheduled yearly physical and blood work after about 10 days of going primal and everything was fine.

There are two things that come to mind:

1) I'm dehydrated due to very low carb (I've also cut out fruits temporarily for weight loss reasons)

2) It's the multivitamin I'm taking (from GNC, has many vitamins that are several times higher than the RDA; e.g. vitamin D, vitamin A, etc...)

I'm stopping the vitamin today to see if the pain goes away. I'm also upping my water uptake (however, I don't feel thirsty to be honest).

If anyone has any insights or similar stories, please share. Thank you.

Primal Woman is offline Junior Member
    Your kidneys might be detoxing or slowly breaking down kidney stones . I have pain in my liver/gallbladder area at times, and I believe it's due to detox and parasite expulsion.
    http://modernpaleowoman.blogspot.com
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    The kidney/liver area is notorious for *not* feeling pain unless it is actually inside the kidney (as in stones). If you are having deep pain in that area it could indicate something serious, and I would get that checked out. Is it on the right or left side?

If you have been taking serious levels of Vitamin A, like 100x the daily amount or more for an extended period of time, it could damage the liver. This is why eating a polar bear's liver will kill you and why babies sometimes get jaundiced if you feed them too much carrot.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    For me, if I had kidney pain, I'd go right to a doctor, and I'm not one to run to them.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    How many grams protein are you eating daily?

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Stones can sit in the kidney for...ever w/o any notice. It's when they try to 'pass' and don't fit through the ureter that the pain kicks in...and it can be severe....even causing shock.
    Small stones can pass w/o notice or a brief period of discomfort/nausea may occur. This may only last for seconds and resolves quickly when the stone is passed.
    Blood in the urine can also indicate a stone sitting in the kidney and digging into the tissue. Often w/o any symptom at all other than blood.
    Having stones is not terribly unusual but no one looks unless they specifically view the kidney or happen across during an abdominal ultrasound.

rhee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
    Stones can sit in the kidney for...ever w/o any notice. It's when they try to 'pass' and don't fit through the ureter that the pain kicks in...and it can be severe....even causing shock.
    Small stones can pass w/o notice or a brief period of discomfort/nausea may occur. This may only last for seconds and resolves quickly when the stone is passed.
    Blood in the urine can also indicate a stone sitting in the kidney and digging into the tissue. Often w/o any symptom at all other than blood.
    Having stones is not terribly unusual but no one looks unless they specifically view the kidney or happen across during an abdominal ultrasound.
    I agree with the above. The color of your morning urine will be dark and almost redish if it a kidney problem. If you experience any strange gut pains then I suggest seeing a doctor to at least rule out anything serious.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I agree with everyone else.
    You probably had kidney stones and didn't know it. A primal diet will start to break up stones to be eliminated through urine.
    I've been on a primal diet for 1.8 years. I did however drink a TON of raw dairy daily during that time too.
    Just recently (about 4 weeks ago) i stopped dairy cold turkey and came down with severe kidney and lower back pains. Couldn't even find a good position to sit or sleep.

This pain is now totally gone. I've researched on the forums and stumbled upon the whole kidney stone threads. It all made sense then.
    I think the calcium/magnesium imbalance I continued to have even switching to primal left the kidney stones intact (or possibly got even bigger) and I should've eliminated dairy from the get-go, but was too addicted to the milk opioids to stop.

Also, since eating primally I can feel the girgling and tickling of my glands inside my rib cage (good tickly feeling) when they empty their biles...something I haven't felt since I was a young child. It's a refreshing, kinda 'minty' feeling.
    Stones can't form when glands empty their biles on a regular basis

rhee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wonder just how many of us passed stones after just starting Primal. I passed one a month after being primal 90% of the time.
    I have an awsome tea recipe that breaks down and relaxes you enough to pass stones if that is your problem. I used it and did not require pain killers and still remained functional while passing my stone.