Thread: Atopic Dermatitis, Eczema and Restricted Diet page

Bluedrew is offline Junior Member

Atopic Dermatitis, Eczema and Restricted Diet

Primal Fuel
    Trying to get some advice on some chronic skin issues. 45 yr male, who has almost always had itchy skin. As a kid, they said I had eczema. Comes and goes and/or flares. In recent history, Dermatologist just gave me topical steroids, oil, and moisturizer and scolded me for taking scolding hot showers (which at times is the only relief).

I butted heads with said dermatologist and eventually got a referral to an allergist who ran the spot test on my back. He said I had atopic dermatitis with an allergy to:

1. Disperse Blue 106 (blue/black dye in synthetic fabrics)
    2. Benzoyl Peroxide (found some in mouth wash)
    3. Mercuric Chloride (leather curing chemical?)

Definitely made sense with the Blue, as I've worn polyester blue pants/jackets since high school, US Air Force, and now with JetBlue.... blue uniform and sit in a blue polyester seat! For a long time exposure was minimized by having thoroughly washed uniforms and using a seat cushion.

Prior to Jan of this year, I was a complete lippo-phobe. Avoided fats, ate conventional healthy, big cardio, weight watchers, etc. I started Paleo in Feb, and very quickly noticed that my skin was wonderful. I even stopped using lotions, oils and my handy seat cushion. I was very happy!

The relief didn't last long. For the last two months, my sensitivity to the "blue seat" has returned and I'm frequently itching and scratching and scolding myself in the shower. So I'm trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it? And last week, I had to have a slice of this wonderful garlic sourdough adorning a beautiful bowls of clams. The grain definitely set things to a flare...

1. My initial 1-2 months of paleo, I did have a goal of loosing weight. I remember eating very little if any fruit. I also ate nuts sparingly in an effort to limit carbs. I never cut out dairy entirely, but just some cream in my coffee, and small portions of cheese for snacks.

2. Didn't really loose weight until a month into it. Then lost about 20 pounds, one a week. I began to broaden my diet eating more fruits, and Larabars, and a good amount of almonds.

3. Starting Sunday, I decided to eliminate all fruit, dairy and nuts (in addition to grain) for about two weeks to see if things can stabilize. Black coffee is a bit weird, and it's tough to snack without cheese and almonds! Easy to make mistakes... I guess champagne is kinda fruit, and so is the wonderful tomato I had yesterday.

So does this sound like a sensible plan to get the autoimmune back in check and determine a possible food sensitivity? The other idea I had was maybe "bad things" have been released back into my system as I've lost fat? Any and all comments/suggestions/help is appreciated. Thanks.

PS If you had to live without either dairy, or fruit or nuts.... which would you pick?????? I think I'd give up the nuts.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    My eczema is very much connected to dairy. Without dairy, I'm almost 100% eczema free. It took me a while to figure it out... in the end I needed an elimination diet (take out all possible allergens for a couple weeks, then add them back in one by one) to identify the problem. Dairy and nuts are very common culprits, so I think your plan is a good one!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedrew View Post

So does this sound like a sensible plan to get the autoimmune back in check and determine a possible food sensitivity? The other idea I had was maybe "bad things" have been released back into my system as I've lost fat? Any and all comments/suggestions/help is appreciated.
    Sure. There are probably a few more things you could do. I was listening to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride recently. Fascinating. She's had some success treating patients with autoimmune conditions with the GAPS diet, which her own modified version of the SCD. Her own son was autistic but is now, apparently, normal, thanks to her treatment.

It's similar to the SCD in that it avoids all packaged foods—everything made from scratch—and disallows all unfermented dairy foods and all starchy foods, both of which can be hard to digest if your gut flora is disrupted. But it also specifically recommends some of the foods encouraged by the WAPF people—coconut oil (if tolerated), bone-broth, stock etc. (with every meal Natasha Campbell-McBride says), and fermented vegetables, like sauerkraut. These are all gut-healing foods.

Here's her site:

GAPS Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) - Natural treatment for autism, ADHD/ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression and schizophrenia

And here's that interview:

Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio Feed - Download free podcast episodes by Underground Wellness on iTunes.

Episode dated 11 Aug 2010 and currently numbered 45.

Bluedrew is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks. Dairy is a definite possibility, and I def eat more cheese as snacks and more cream in coffee. Recently I've even had some of the kids raw milk. The hard part is that I never eliminated dairy or nuts, even during the first two months when things where great. Granted I eat more now then when I was trying to loose weight... maybe there's a threshold or something?

When things where good I totally remember staying away from fruit entirely... but did eat tomatoes. Now I see another thread about Nightshades?