Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jen's Journal page

jens522 is offline Senior Member

Jen's Journal

Primal Fuel
    I was reluctant to start a journal, but I am really enjoying reading everyone's and it's helping me a lot so if mine could possibly help someone else then great.

A little about me: Overweight most of my childhood until about 19 or so. Never did any sports, didn't like the competitive nature of it. Loved to eat and I loved TV so the weight piled and piled on as the yrs progressed.

So I couldn't stand being the heavy girl anymore in college and went on the typical low fat, no carb diet, did chronic cardio until I died and the weight came off. FAST. Yay, right? It was great at the time because I was in college and lost 50 lbs total. I was skinny fat though, but at the time still better than just being fat fat.

Once I graduated college and was working a desk job, the lbs creeped up a bit. I joined a gym and got a trainer who got me doing weights. I loved it, but I'd always stop usually due to financial constraints or time constraints and then take a long hiatus. In this time I gained a lot of the weight back.

Two yrs ago I was getting married and wanted to lose weight for my wedding. I did barre classes, working out with a trainer and lost some weight, while improving my diet. Not eating pasta, bread and the like, but still eating oatmeal and candy (because candy would allow me to lose weight on the scale so it must be OK). The trainer I was working out with sucked (a lot of machine work and boring 3 sets of 15) so I quit him and the barre classes and hip thrusts weren't for me anymore either. I was married now, but still wanted to lose more weight so I found hot yoga. Became addicted to that and went every single day for a yr. I did see changes initially, but after over a yr the lbs were starting to creep up again on me.

So Jan 2011 I found the paleo diet because my husband sent me an interesting article on it. I thought I could never give up my oatmeal in the morning! Eat bacon, hamburgers? WTF? I will blow up like a balloon. Well, one day at barnes and noble I found the primal blueprint and it resonated w/me. I gave up the oatmeal in the am, the beans, the mentos and toosie pops and sorbets and was no longer scared of fat. I got a trainer and started doing weights instead of daily yoga. I did lose some weight and noticed changes in my body. I feel stronger and better overall. I also now do Crossfit 3x/wk, weights, which I love. I like short, intense workouts, while incorporating walks and yoga too.

However, the summer is hard for me. I love my cocktails and ice cream on a warm summer day. I am working really hard exercise wise and during the week I can maintain a good diet, but my weekends are my downfall. My husband and friends love to go out to a nice dinner and get drunk (so do I), but I feel like it's derailing me from my goals. So here I am. Trying to get leaner, build muscle. Weird, I know.

Today's menu: Two meals: around 1350 cals
    Bkfast: Four eggs and 3 pieces of bacon
    Lunch: Large ass salad. 8 oz of mesclun greens,
    a few grape tomatoes
    one avocado
    1 cup of broccoli slaw
    1 cup of cabbage
    1 cup of broccoli
    a packet of sardines
    3.5 oz of sockeye salmon
    3 oz of tuna
    balsamic vinegar

This is pretty much a typical weekday for me. I hope this is ok for my goal of leaning out?
    Currently around 5'6, 125 lbs. I want to post pics but kinda afraid.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I can't imagine why you would be afraid at 5'6" and 125! Hard to imagine you needing to lose any weight in the first place.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Well, not lose weight per se, but fat. I want to be lean and muscular and still feel like I have ways to go.

I think it was your journal that resonated w/me re: the alcohol! I want to do a whole 30, but giving up the wine and vodka clubs on the weekends may kill me.

Here are a couple pics.
    One is in May, being primal for about 2-3 mos and moderate weight training.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/66204474@N03/6029143571/

Me from a couple of wks ago. Yes, I am more tan, but don't really feel like I look any different even tho I've upped the intensity of my workouts. But I've also had more cheats since it's summer. UGH!!!
    http://flic.kr/p/abLWkx
    http://flic.kr/p/abPPVs
    Last edited by jens522; 08-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I gotcha. We have very similar bodies actually. I am a bit over 5'7" and currently right at 129-ish. I try to stay off the scale, because it lies to women when we weight train. The thinnest I have ever looked was when I weighed more than I do now, I just had more muscle going on at the time. Unfortunately, becoming very lean had consequences and I did not get my period for a long time, so I was forced to put some fat % back on to be able to function as a woman. So I currently live a life of compromise and try to strike a balance between gaining strength and athletic ability while not becoming too lean.

You have read my journal, so you know my position with alcohol, and I feel for you with having a partner that loves to drink too. It certainly makes things more difficult when you have a live in enabler for sure!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm 5'6" and around 130. You're closer to the body I want, but I think we're both at good starting points I'm also looking to get a bit more lean and build some muscle. Focus on eating right and eating enough, the rest will follow, or so they say.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Supersellen, I hear you. I need to toss the scale. What workouts did you do to gain this muscle? Drinking (or not drinking) is probably my biggest challenge in getting lean! One weekend at a time.

How's it coming along, nameless?

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I can't really handle my liquor anymore now since I've been doing the leptin reset. One-two drinks, I'm pretty much wasted with a godawful hangover the next day. Keeps my alcohol consumption down. Way down.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I can't really handle my liquor anymore now since I've been doing the leptin reset. One-two drinks, I'm pretty much wasted with a godawful hangover the next day. Keeps my alcohol consumption down. Way down.
    Do you miss it?

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jens522 View Post
    Do you miss it?
    Not really. I probably won't touch alcohol until the 27th at my husband's b-day party and that may be a glass or 2 of wine. Then again, I don't want any sugar whatsoever now. With the reset, I keep my carbs under 50g usually 30-25/day or less. I've never been a big fruit eater so this is easy. Ice cream was a deal breaker and now I look at it and I'm think, eh, they can have it.
    Georgette

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast