Thread: Primal pest control for bell pepper? page

strom is offline Senior Member

Primal pest control for bell pepper?

I have been growing bell peppers and cayennes for the last 60 days. I had one bell pepper that was starting to get nice and big, but than it disappeared. I have a feeling a rabbit ate it. i also have black dots on the stem of the plant. So what can I do to prevent critters from eating my peppers and prevent fungus and insects? Anything not super toxic?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    We're in a drought here and the deer climb a .25 mile driveway to eat our tomatoes, bell peppers, flowers, and jalapenos. My parents put up an electric fence, which only succeeded in zapping the dog. I think putting a barrier of chicken wire pretty close to the plant, such that you can still open it up to get in there and tend to them when you need to, would keep out the big critters. As far as insect pests I have no idea, luckily we don't have that problem.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I have a raised garden and quickly fenced it in last year to keep the rabbits and squirrels out. My biggest issue has been keeping my pepper plants from falling over and have had to stake nearly all of them. Now my tomato plants are outgrowing their cages and I have to tie them up. It is a constant battle and my wife bought me a huge book on organic gardening at a garage sale that has been a big help.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    For the first time we had a rabbit in our backyard this year. We set out a trap and released our rabbit in the local park 2 miles away - no more rabbit. If you fence in your garden you have to dig deep so the rabbits can't dig under the fence. There are some plants they don't like; I believe garlic is one of them. If you have a cat, sprinkle used litter. you can try the following

Critter Chaser XR™ Deer and Rabbit Repellent Strips
    Plantskydd<sup><font size=3>®</font></sup> Animal Repellent

Keeping Rabbits Out of the Kitchen Garden - Vegetable Gardener

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    For the first time we had a rabbit in our backyard this year. We set out a trap and released our rabbit in the local park 2 miles away - no more rabbit. If you fence in your garden you have to dig deep so the rabbits can't dig under the fence. There are some plants they don't like; I believe garlic is one of them. If you have a cat, sprinkle used litter. you can try the following

If you cut your hair at home, or know a barber, you can sprinkle human hair clippings liberally around the garden, and it will keep out animals. Dog hair also works very well. As for stem blight... well, I'll leave that to a horticulturalist.
    Last edited by keithpowers; 08-10-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post

My rabbits must be dumb because they have never burrowed under my fence. Chipmunks on the other hand are little bastards and will constantly burrow under neath and take two bites out of each veggie.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

strom is offline Senior Member
    the strip might work. Also how often is the optimal time for watering them to get the most growth? The animals know not to eat the cayennes though. You need to prep the fry them to tone down the spice.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    eat the critters? that would be very primal

I've heard of people who save their urine and sprinkle it around the borders of the garden-I'd guess it would work like the hair clippings. I've also heard of people using blood meal-the smell is supposed to drive them off plus it helps the soil. Sorry-all I know is hearsay since the dog keeps the garden free of most pests.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener