Page 1 of 204 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (FlyNavyWife) page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (FlyNavyWife)

Primal Fuel

Hi all.

I was first introduced to the Primal Blueprint when I saw that Mark was looking for new Worker Bees to develop recipes for his blog. I spent a couple of days exploring the site in depth and loved what I saw.

Unfortunately, I wasn't hired to be a worker bee (Mark, let me know if you change your mind on that!) but after getting so excited over the PB, I couldn't let go that easily.

So here I am.

My husband is highly resistant to becoming Primal for several reasons. One is that he's afraid he'll not have enough energy for air combat maneuvers (he's a student Naval aviator) and if he passes out or something he could get kicked out of the Navy if they find out he's trying a new diet without the flight-doc's approval. Another reason is Oreos.

I'm excited about it though! I am making the change even if he isn't. Earlier this year I decided to go from "living to eat" to "eating to live." Food is just too woven into my life in ways that have nothing to do with sustenance (social context and such) and I realized that the foods I was eating didn't always make me feel energized. I've been doing really well with eating BETTER but I think this is the next logical step for me. Though I love grains and cheese, I know they don't make me feel my best.

As far as activity goes, I had been going to the gym regularly and doing cardio and weights. Right now it's on "pause" because I recently had surgery and am taking some time to heal before I jump back in. I'd love to find some more varied exercises though... bike riding, frisbee, other "playing." I didn't grow up in a super-active family so playing physically doesn't come naturally to me. Any tips would be appreciated!

So, I guess that's my introduction. Some of my goals in "going Primal" are:

1. Furthering the "eating to live" goal and having a healthier relationship with food.

2. Losing a few pounds, and it would be awesome if my abs were visible again. (Currently 5'6" and 130 pounds)

3. Feeling more energetic in general.

4. Learning to enjoy being active more and figuring out how to play.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

I suppose today will be my official Day 1.

Today I made a list of lots of primal foods I'd like to base some meals and recipes around, planned for breakfasts/lunches/dinners for the week, then made a shopping list for the week.

I'm currently not working because I teach preschool (in my house which is awesome) and right now school's out for the summer.

So while my husband was at work I rearranged the pantry. I isolated all of the totally "out" foods so that I know where NOT to look when preparing meals for myself. I also put all of the canisters of pasta/rice/oats/flour on those shelves, which gives me more counter space.

I worked in the garden a bit, and it looks like we'll be able to harvest some squashes soon. Very exciting! Ate some green beans straight off the vines with some neighborhood kids (they LOVED eating raw green beans warmed by the sun), and taught them a bit about gardening and insects.

I need to get some calcium in my soil though, because the zucchinis are suffering from blossom-end rot. Man, I seriously cannot wait until the zucchinis are producing healthy fruits. Everything else is doing well, and we have some little green roma tomatoes and baby watermelons starting to form.

Struggled with getting all my protein in but I think I did pretty well overall today.

Protein: 79g

Carbs: 83g

Fat: 95g

Calories: 1484

Tomorrow I'll be trying my hand at some homemade breakfast sausages. Yum! I am looking forward to that!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Yesterday I made some non-primal "cookie balls" that were basically just peanut butter, peanuts, oats, and chopped dates. I ate one for breakfast and then started cooking my homemade sausage. I didn't get hungry through the whole process, and now it's just about lunch time (11:30).

I just tried to figure out the nutrition facts for my sausage, and my best guess is (per piece, and it made 30 pieces):

93 calories, 6.3 grams of fat, 7.8 grams of protein, .6 grams carbs

Going to freeze some of it and fridge-ify some of it, and will have it around for breakfasts for the next week or two (depending on how much my husband eats).

One of my good friends is also going primal w/her diet, and her husband is basically doing what mine is... primal dinner because they're eating together, but on his own for breakfast and lunch. I asked her if she wants to get together each weekend, alternating houses, to cook dinner for each other and exchange primal recipes. She's really excited about the idea and so am I! Hopefully we'll start this weekend.

Day 2:

Protein: 75g

Carbs: 53g

Fat: 98g

Calories: 1353

B: a peanut butter ball thingy and a piece of homemade sausage

L: salad (mixed greens and baby spinach) with 2 hard-boiled eggs, bacon, cherry tomatoes, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette

D: homemade turkey burger over tomato slices and topped with avocado, with asparagus and hollandaise sauce

I may have a handful of blueberries for "dessert" in a bit... may not.

If anyone can give me input as to how my protein/carbs/fat intake is, I'd appreciate it. I feel like I'm on target but not sure.

I'm 130 pounds and 5'6" ... not sure what my body fat percentage / lean mass is.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i'm not the right person to comment on your ratios [although from what i have been taught, one should aim for 50% fat] but your calorie count seems really low to me. maybe i am just a big piggy [very possible] but i usually get 2000-2200. sometimes more. and i'm not gaining weight [although i am not losing it...].

perhaps someone wiser than i could comment on this.

i'd also ditch the peanut butter in favour of a true nut butter [peanuts are legumes]. i thought it would be really hard. i felt i was addicted to peanut butter. but after a week of almond butter, there was no going back.

Yeah, I know about the peanut thing... I actually just made the peanut butter thingies to use up the pb that we had and I'm not buying more.

I checked for almond butter or sunflower seed butter at our store and they didn't have any. So I'll have to look in other stores and/or order online. so sad.

About the calorie count... I've been trying to lose weight for a while and have actually lost about 10 pounds in the last couple months by doing lower calories and exercise... my goal for calories has been between 1200-1600 a day.

BUT... that said, my focus with eating primally has been to try to get enough protein. Other than that, I'm eating whatever other veggies/fruits/fats I want, as much as I want. And it just happens to be in this calorie range. I'm not restricting portions at all and I'm quite full, so I'm not concerned about eating too few calories.

I just list the calories because my nutrition tracker tells me how many calories I've eaten, and why not track it too?

Are you male/female? Height/weight/activity level? 2000-2200 could easily be a reasonable amount for you, but unless I'm eating sweets and/or fried foods (fried mozzarella, chicken fingers, that sort of thing) I haven't gotten up that high in a while...

Also, when you say 50% do you mean by grams or by calories? 63.3% of my calories were from fat today, but if you're looking at grams it was less than 50% of my intake.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i meant 50% of your calories. and i am female, 5' 10" and weigh about 142 lbs right now. i crossfit regularly too. i don't really watch calories, i just eat when i am hungry. and it sounds like that is what you are doing too so if you are full, have lots of energy and doing well with those calories then it sounds like you are doing the right thing!

Miriam Guest

FlyNavyWife, definitely ditch the peanut butter, and try proper nut butters. You could make your cookie balls with walnuts and walnut butter with the dates and maybe some shredded coconut instead of the peanut butter and oats…mmm sounds good to me!

Your garden sounds fantastic and great to see you’re teaching the young ones about gardening.

If you are feeling full with your current meals then perhaps instead of counting calories just see how you feel each day and eat accordingly and you will probably find that you will lose the weight easily (don’t they say worrying about weight keeps people fat!).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks sammylou.

Miriam, I'm totally on board with the peanut butter thing. haha. Like I said before, I just made them to get rid of the peanut butter, and I'm looking for a source for almond butter... or I'll make my own. Also, couldn't find any UNsweetened coconut in the grocery store so that's on my list too.

Thanks for the reassurance about what I'm eating you two... just have to share this:

Usually I weigh myself in the morning before I eat anything, naked (not every day, just when I do). It's been at 130 for several weeks.

This morning I ate breakfast, drank some water, got dressed, and then weighed myself out of curiosity. 130.5! So my naked-pre-food-pre-water weight is definitely less than before. Woot! haha.

Page 1 of 204 1231151101 ... LastLast