Page 3 of 204 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (FlyNavyWife) page 3

Shine is offline Member

Shop Now

I waitressed for a long time, and any chain restaurant like the Olive Garden will definitely accommodate a request to sub veggies for starch sides. It's become really common since the Atkins & South Beach diet crazes and is not a big deal for the server or the kitchen staff; a "sub veg" button or something to that effect has been implemented in most restaurant computer systems.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I never have any problem asking to sub sides... but this olive garden has HORRIBLE service (every time I've been there, seriously). Today I got the steak and subbed the mixed veggies for the potatoes... they brought it out w/potatoes the first time, then took about 5 minutes to bring it out with veggies instead. blah! but it was tasty...

Day 4:

Protein: 65g

Carbs: 113g (stupid dessert... but still pretty low)

Fat: 95g

Calories: 1579

B: none, because I wasn't hungry.

L: mixed greens with chopped hard boiled eggs, bacon, and tomatoes, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Sliced tomatoes with olive oil on the side.

D: LOTS of salad at olive garden (no bread or croutons), half of a 14oz steak with squash and zucchini on the side. Then... tiramisu (oops).

I ordered tiramisu because 1) I love it and 2) I thought it would be pretty low-carb since it's made with mascarpone cheese (supposed to be). Looked up the nutrition facts when I got home... why does Olive Garden not list the protein in stuff? So weird. I know tiramisu has some protein because of the cheese... but no idea how much. Anyway, it was the lowest-carb dessert there, so I was right... but 48g of carbs, so pretty high... I'll do better tomorrow.

I'm just really proud of myself for resisting all of the garlic bread. I didn't have any urges toward any of the pasta, but man... buttery puffy garlic bread...and not one bite. yay!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Dude, the tiramisu was also nearly 1/3 of my daily calories... that's just nasty.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Nick Guest

Hehe. I make a mean tiramisu, and the most time consuming part (aside from making the mascarpone), is drizzling the pint of syrup you just made onto each sponge cake (ladyfingers are for wimps) layer to saturate it as you assemble, before spreading the mascarpone/egg yolk/sugar/coffee filling.

Ah, yeah, there's probably a reason I haven't made one in over two years.

man... I wonder if there's a way to make a less sugary, more primal version. Let me know if you have an idea for it Nick. That rich cheesy coffee treat is just so yum...

Nick Guest

Honestly, I always found the version I made to be a little too sickeningly sweet, so I'm sure it's possible. I'm pretty sure you could make the sponge cake with almond flour and erythritol, and then you'd just have to make a coffee/liqueur flavored syrup using sweetener, and you could probably go lighter on that than normal. And then the filling, which is egg yolk, sugar, mascarpone, and coffee (I use cold-brewed Toddy concentrate instead of Kahlua, etc. because I like it taste like coffee, not rum.), you could probably just replace the sugar with another sweetener, yet again, as long as cooking it in a double boiler still thickened it, which with the egg yolks, there's no reason it shouldn't. And dusting with some cocoa is fine.

I could attempt it, but I don't have any of the usual sweeteners people use for cooking here. Maybe I'll try getting some erythritol and stevia and giving it a shot.

That sounds so good... and honestly, I'm not sure the sponge cake part is 100% necessary for me... just the filling part would be amazing (it's that creamy rich coffee-ness that I love so much about tiramisu). If you figure out a recipe for it let me know! I'd love to try it.

I'm just starting out with the primal thing so I don't have any alternative sweeteners lying around really...just sugar, honey, and some sweet'n'low which is what I had in my pantry aleady.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

FlyNavyWife, some thoughts:

- While one of the basis of the PB is going low-carb, one of the main aspects of it is the quality of the carbs (and protein and fats, of course). Keeping carbs low is the way to go and will make you lose weight, but it's way better (health-wise) to have low/non-starchy veggies instead of deserts or other non-primal foods as sources of carbs.

- I think your calorie intake might be too low. With that calorie count, you will lose weight regardless of what you eat, because your body is in constant starvation mode (not-healthy).

- I'd pay less attention to the number of calories and more to the *source* of the calories. Go for good fats and proteins. Grok did not weigh his food nor counted the calories in it. He didn't need to because of the quality of what he ate.

I think that, overall, you are doing great. Ditching grains is not easy and you seem to have succeeded, plus you show a lot of discipline and self-control.

I would say that we all, to more or less degrees, are struggling to transition from a CW diet to a proper primal one. In the process, I think it's fair to resort to artificial sweeteners and non-ideal sources of carbs and fats while making these dramatic changes in our lifestyles. But then the main objective of the PB is enabling us to maximize our health. Weight loss is just a by-product. Plain low-carb and low calorie count diets will make you lighter, no doubt. But they will also tax your health if you are not careful.

Anyway, my 2 cents. Hope they help!

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SerialSinner, thanks for your input. The tiramisu was definitely a mistake... and other than that I've been having fruits and veggies be my source of carbs (which you'll find if you read my other days' logs).

I appreciate your concern over my calorie intake. I'm not worried though... (nor am I counting calories). I'm eating more calories on average than I was before my surgery and while trying to lose weight via conventional methods (calorie restriction, low-fat, "healthy whole grains", etc).

The reason I'm not worried about it is because I just eat until I'm full... if I'm still hungry, I eat more of the same thing or have another thing later. (Also, sometimes I have a piece of fruit after writing my log for the day which raises my calories for that day too). Going from a diet with very little protein or fat to the PB all at once, I'm finding food far more filling than before... so I'm listening to my body and stopping when I'm full, eating when I'm hungry.

The reason I'm keeping track and weighing things is because I want to make sure I get enough protein... I've never been a protein girl (big salads w/no meat, pasta with veggies was my daily fare), and before starting the PB, I ate meat (usually boneless skinless chicken breast) maybe 3 times a week. Big change. Also, I'm curious about what I'm putting in my mouth, and don't think it's bad to have an idea about the caloric range I'm in anyway...

Sooooo... thanks for your 2 cents. I really do appreciate it. Please don't worry though!

And about the non-primal things I'm eating (I'm sure those peanut butter balls are in your mind)... it's a transition that will take a while. I don't want to totally waste everything that's already in my fridge/freezer/pantry (nor can I afford to), and peanut butter balls are a better choice than ritz crackers. I have turkey bacon in my freezer, and I will be eating that at some point, but probably won't buy more. You know? It's not an instantaneous change.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

FNW, I hear what you say about the pasta, and I feel your pain. Half my family is Italian and pasta is something I miss a lot. I am still struggling to transition (beer, late-night pizza, lasagna, potatoes, etc). I actually struggle with anything that requires moderation. I am glad I can indulge in nuts and meat though.

I think that if you are listening to your body you are fine. I thought you were purposefully depriving yourself from calories. Good luck and grok on.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 3 of 204 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast