Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking The Habit page

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member

Breaking The Habit

Primal Fuel
    I've been trying to be primal for about 2 months, however, when I'm around 3 days into doing it, I find myself compelled to go back to my old habits. I take 100% full responsibility for my actions and I know I have only myself to blame. I think the problem is, I have a sweet tooth and crave sugar constantly after a year-long binge of eating it 24/7. I also hate the taste of vegetables, I really want to make them more palatable, but I cannot stand the texture and taste of them. I'm really struggling to break the habit and I want to break through these barriers so I don't fall back onto the candy wagon. Anyone else been in the same boat?

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    For veggies. Maybe saute them in some butter. Or pour melted butter or cheese (if you're ok with dairy) on it.. well, depending on the veg I guess heh.
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Asparagus is okay if you nuke it or boil it, but AWESOMELY good if you cook it on the grill with olive oil and garlic.

You really have to look outside the box when it comes to veggies. Most of the time, people don't like them because we have the same 4 or 5 vegetables our whole lives, and usually cooked beyond recognition. Go through the grocery store and just see what look interesting. Then do an internet search and see if there's a way to cook them that sounds good.

Seriously, I'm 46 and never had an acorn squash before. I tried it, liked it, then Dr Bork popped in with a recipe that made it even better.

As far as caving a few days in, I wish I knew a way around it. You just have to suck it up and do it. After a couple of weeks, you won't remember why you needed the crap so badly. The cravings dwindle down to nothing.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    The sugar gremlin is a mean bastard and hard to get off your shoulder. I tossed sugar years ago - long before primal and thank goodness I didn't have to toss that at the same time. I started by cutting back sweetness. For example - I loved super sweet coffee. So I started drinking it at half as sweet for a month or so. And then cut back to quarter as sweet. Finally, I was just holding on to the smallest sweetness and did so for about a year before I realized I could just get rid of the remaining sweetness and it would be okay.
    Soda's tougher to get rid of - it's not only sugar but a continuous flavor add to your mouth all day long. Really, you are telling your brain, all day, that you are eating sweet things. When you think about it - it's an absolutely crazy thing to do to yourself.

I can't imagine going cold turkey and I am in awe of those who can. Maybe, if you can't go cold turkey you could try cutting back - cut back, get used to it, and then cut back again.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Veggies + bacon +garlic = delicious.

This holds true for pretty much any veggies, actually.

Mostly the first few weeks are the hardest, and you'll have to suck it up and get through it if you really want to do this. Another option would be planned reduction in sweets and carbs, reducing them over time.

At the very least, buy some good quality chocolate or candy. I've found that the better it is, the less it takes to feel satisfied. I could eat a whole Hershey's kingsize in an instant, but a good quality chocolate I might eat two squares, at the most.

Other options are to make your own sweet snacks- coconut oil and cocoa powder and nuts and raisins or dates, plus just enough sugar.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Veggies + bacon +garlic = delicious.
    +1

Also, roasting makes brings out the sweetness of veggies and reduces the bitterness. More
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasePaleo View Post
    I've been trying to be primal for about 2 months, however, when I'm around 3 days into doing it, I find myself compelled to go back to my old habits. I take 100% full responsibility for my actions and I know I have only myself to blame. I think the problem is, I have a sweet tooth and crave sugar constantly after a year-long binge of eating it 24/7. I also hate the taste of vegetables, I really want to make them more palatable, but I cannot stand the texture and taste of them. I'm really struggling to break the habit and I want to break through these barriers so I don't fall back onto the candy wagon. Anyone else been in the same boat?
    I used to be an out of control sugar addict. It's been 4+ months no sugar for me. Two things helped me get over that. 1) Education. Watch Dr. Lustig's video on youtube "Sugar, The Bitter Truth." Really KNOW what it's doing to your body. Read, read, read. It's a lot harder to see that piece of candy as just a benign little thing when you know exactly the damage it's doing. 2). Protein. Physically speaking, I think protein is like the antidote to sugar. Really load up. The more protein I eat, the less I want sugar. And I know sweeteners are not exactly favorably looked upon, but they might help you taper off the real thing. When I was first kicking sugar, I made quite a lot of sweet tea and other concoctions and I didn't always make the best choices in sweetener....not proud to say I bought a few boxes of Splenda before I knew how bad that was too, then on to Stevia. Now it's a very rare thing that I'll use even Stevia, just in tea every once in a while, and very little. If you think that would help transition off the sugar habit, try it, or if you think it leaves the door open and is too tempting to indulge in the real thing, then maybe going cold turkey will work for you.

Regarding vegetables, I never used to be much of a fan either. That's because growing up, I'd never really had them any other way than cooked in a bowl in the microwave with a little margarine (gag) and salt & pepper. The only fresh vegetable to ever enter our house was iceberg lettuce. Until about a year ago, I despised all vegetables. Even before I went primal though, I'd made it a goal to find out why people like vegetables, and I definitely have. There are some that I absolutely love, some that I like, and some that I never will (broccoli will never pass through my lips). Look over recipes, try one new veggie every time you go to the grocery store. A vegetable cooked in some animal fat is a whole new world. Roasting is totally different than steaming, so try one, then the other and see what you like more. Slice a veg thin and fry it like a chip. I'm on a butternut squash kick right now. Plain? I think it's kinda gross. Cut it up and fry it in a pan I just cooked a beef patty in, and it's to die for. Kale chips in the oven are also a favorite. I love steak & peppers wrapped in lettuce leaves. Cauliflower takes on a sweet flavor when you roast it until it just starts to brown, with a little oil and salt. And so on. There's such a variety in taste and textures and cooking methods that if you keep at it, and keep trying new ways to cook them, you'll start adding to the list of those you like.
    Last edited by Ummmmya; 08-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i dont eat very many vegetables other then salad and carrot sticks

as for sugar, you just got to push through it. after about a week or so itll be a lot easier
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    So many supermarket vegetables are UNFIT to eat. They've often been grown in huge fields on depleted soil with chemicals, then picked early, shipped too far, and kept too long in storage. And they've been bred for perfect appearance, and to heck with taste.

If you can find some veggies grown on allotments, or from local organic growers, with the varieties chosen for taste, and picked the same morning they are sold, you might feel better about them.

Italians love their veggies, but then, they almost always get top quality produce, and then saute it very lightly in olive oil with a little garlic. That (and good quality butter from grassfed dairy cows) tastes so delicious one is instantly spoiled.

Bacon, lard, butter ... and avoid overcooking. Use veg as fresh as possible, don't let veggies hang out in the fridge day after day.

If you try a young carrot fresh from the garden row, just with the grit washed off ... well, it will be very good.

As for sugars and addictive eating -- we've been there. If you are really strict for several days the cravings will subside, but a single TASTE of sugar, or even a PHOTOGRAPH of sweet food, and you'll be right back to square one. Then you'll have to put in several more hard days getting over it again.

Best plan, perhaps, if it works for you, is to strip the kitchen of everything which might cause you trouble, buy fresh good food, like bacon, etc., then don't go into a food store till you're past the danger point.

it can be done. Lots of us have done it, and often <groan> more than once. Plenty of good grassfed meat with the fat, eggs, butter, and so on ... the cravings for sugar will lessen. There's also a trick you can try: find some l-glutamine powder, and have a spoonful in water first thing when you wake up. It's supposed to lessen carb cravings by feeding the brain. Should be on an empty stomach, and wait an hour before eating.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    About kicking the sugar-cravings: I did a 10-day herbal detox by the help of a naturopath. Drank special teas once a day while starting out on PB. Haven't had sugar since, it's been 9 weeks. I was a massive sugar-junkie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast