Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry dog food - FYI page

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

For those of you not feeding your dog raw food, I've been feeding my dog Orijen for a couple of years. I thought I might feed him something else, but I looked at all of the grain-free dry foods and they all have large doses of vegetable oil, some even being the second ingredient in the list, EXCEPT Orijen. It has no vegetable oil, and is grain-free, and meat (not meal or whatever) is always the first ingredient.

It's pretty pricey, but he's done well on it, and it's not any more expensive than most of the other grain-free foods.

TexTodd Guest

Thank you. Im researching this now as well.

Acmebike is offline Member

Not as easy to serve up to your beasts, but check out Slanker's Meats for their pet food:

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

Keeps in the fridge, can be served cooked or raw, pretty simple and likely how our animals should be eating. And you can mix a bit of the high organ meat mix into your own nutrition as well.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Great tip, AuH2Ogirl. Thank you!

I'm currently feeding my dog Canidae Grain Free, but as you said, they use vegetable oil and even barley.

I will look into this brand. Does your dog enjoy it?

onelasttime Guest

Looks like an interesting source but this goes against what I have researched for feed a raw dog:

"Edible dog bones are a treat that should not be a daily event. Dogs ate a limited quantity of bone in the wild and too much bone in their gut is not recommended."

Many people who feed dogs a prey model - no vegetables or supplements - try to feed all animal parts such as a whole rabbit or simulated through meat, offal and edible bones.

My dog eats bird backs, wings, necks and rabbits that include meat, organs and bones as well as large animal cuts that include edible bones such as pork ribblets everyday with no problems. I stay away from heavy weight bearing bones unless they are large enough not to be consumed - just teeth cleaning.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Ive got my pup on grain free dry food right now. I keep trying to test her with chicken wing tips and such but shes a gulper! I had to pick a wing tip out of her throat 2 days ago after my "test". Scary! Seems to me, she will be getting chopped up pieces! But, she does love gizzards and meat scraps, as well as egg yolks!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

jrherring is offline Senior Member

My 3 have excelled on raw diet. That's chicken, beef hearts, whole fish, whatever is on sale. I'm also part of a co-op here in austin to help with the cost.

Just like with us...grains are bad.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Jenella... do you give them any veggies occasionally?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

jrherring is offline Senior Member

My dogs get frozen/overripe veggies that have been steamed then run through a processor to make a pulp. That helps break down the cell walls of the veggies. Otherwise, the veggies pass right through them!

I guess they get maybe a tablespoon or two at meal...? They also get an egg or two and depending on the season, some fish oil. My cat eats chicken wings, hearts, skin, breast, canned tuna, etc. She doesn't really get many veggies...maybe a half tspn every few days. Cats don't really need it.

I try to think of the prey model...a dog kills a chicken/rabbit/whatever and they eat the entire thing or until they've gorged themselves. I could go on but plug in raw diet for dogs and you'll find tons of info. I read a lot and formed my own decisions about how to feed them. Pretty much how I came to the PB way of life...

If you can, find a co-op that caters to raw feeders. Huge cost savings!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

So I've been reading up on Orijen today. Found a great site that has over 300 customer reviews of the brand. A lot of mixed reviews though.

It seems as though a lot of owners experienced their dogs getting bad runs and terrible gas. My dog is gassy the way it is, so I don't know

On the same token, they feed that stuff to little 20lb dogs or smaller. Those guys don't need that much protein.

I think this would be a good brand to try for my lab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast