Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 day overnight hike - need primal food idea's! page

tarzanfeet is offline Junior Member

4 day overnight hike - need primal food idea's!

Primal Fuel
    My sis and I are headin out on a 3-4 day overnight hike on the west coast of BC. 50 km in length. Mostly through the rainforest and on the beaches. All the trail guides are suggesting oatmeal etc. I need some advice from you daily apples! Whats somethin portable, light and wont spoil for a few days?

In a perfect world I could catch a salmon every night but I have no training in that and no gear as well. I'll probably go with a bunch of dehumidified fruit and almonds. I'd like to expand that a bit though. Thoughts?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Do a search on this forum for Primal Trail Foods. Mark did an article on it and the people who commented had lots of great ideas for multi-day trips.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Dried meats like pemmican or beef jerky. Pouches of tuna and smoked salmon. Trail mix w/a variety of nuts, dried fruits, and shredded coconut.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Ouch this is hard, with no cooler...

Cured meats? I would throw some of those vacuum-packed salami meats in my pack. I once had some proscuitto out on a camping trip for several days, with questionable cooling, and it was fine. I am not afraid of germs though. Maybe compromise and grab some gluten-free crackers to eat with them.

Tuna and salmon in pouches is a great idea. By the way, they also sell nut butter in packets now, at least in Whole Foods.

I think for four days you'll find it easiest to go the nut and dried fruit route a bit, and just do the best you can with the omega 6 and fructose. Prunes have the least fructose of the standard dried fruit. I personally don't reach for Lara Bars (made with dates, which are high fructose) but they are also so simple, ingredient-wise, that it seems like an attractive option for a lot of people, or something like them, you know, real food.

Have you checked out those dehydrated camping meals? Are those so offensive? (I mean, besides their taste, that is. )

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    According to NWHikers.net, PackitGourmet meals are so superior to Mountainhouse if you choose to go that route.

What about cooking up a few heaping helpings of bacon and shredding it down into bacon bits? Does bacon keep over 5 days in a warm/wet/ pack?

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    This is my backpacking food shopping list: Jerky, nuts, hardboiled eggs, foil packaged fish and chicken, freezedried packaged meals. Fresh fruit and veggies if room. Oberto makes relatively low processed (no soy) beef and pork jerky. Tanka makes decent (no soy) buffalo jerky. 90% of freezedried backpacker meals are non-paleo/primal, but there are a few that pass muster.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Well, you could do some quick research on what the Coastal Salish people ate. given that you're in BC. (Are you going to do the West Coast Trail, btw?) That's pretty damn primal by default.

But you're on the right track, I'd say. Nuts, berries (rather than dried fruit preferably), apples (they travel well), jerky. Some crunchy veg like broccoli, cabbage, celery, peppers are decent, but that's more for nutrients and variety than energy. You can eat them raw. They are decently tasty (I think anyway) with some salt, paprika, oregano, etc. Pack them raw and bagged, cut them up in the morning and put them in baggies with the spices. Quick easy snack right there. All primal, if not exactly traditional First Nations food. There's also seaweed- super super light, dried, great traditional snack, keeps in your cupboard forever. But it's also a nutrient/variety thing. Very very few carbs, fats, proteins, calories, energy anything in seaweed. I think bull kelp actually has a negative calorie reading, you burn more digesting it than it has. And you will need energy for all the hiking, naturally.

Not perfect-primal, but more energy-rich: tempeh. I don't think smoked tofu will kill you either, though there is some PB advice against tofu. But you'll be getting so much exercise, I don't think it will matter much. Hardboiled eggs will keep for the first 2 days just in your pack, and that is perfectly primal.

For the evening meals, given that you've only got 4 of em, there's tinned fish- sardines, tuna, salmon, etc. You could toss in a few sweet potatos, those would be pretty good boiled on a fire (IF they let you have cookfires this time of year in BC, not sure) and then roasted over the flames.

You can make your own energy snacks with coconut oil, nuts, berries, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate squares and, if you like a bit more sweet, stevia. You can microwave them to mix it up, then break up the resulting 'chocolate nut bark' and cling wrap it to snack-size portions. That will keep for 4 days easy.

You could also just cut yourself a primal compromise if you can't get enough energy from all that. A scoop of oatmeal here and there is still in your 20%. Or maybe just have a beer every night if that's more to your liking- same damn thing imo.

I just hope the weather is better by then, it's been one cold, rainy non-summer here in Victoria/Vancouver.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    How about those little cans of Thai kitchen coconut milk (or some other powdered milk) and some protein drink mix? Salami or pepperoni is a great idea, too. I would throw in some individually wrapped cheddar cheeses and eat them during the first 2 days on a hike along with the salami. I save the less perishable nuts and fruits for the end of the hike. YUM!

You can make your own energy snacks with coconut oil, nuts, berries, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate squares and, if you like a bit more sweet, stevia. You can microwave them to mix it up, then break up the resulting 'chocolate nut bark' and cling wrap it to snack-size portions. That will keep for 4 days easy.
    This is sooo cool i cant wait to try. Its actually the jaun de fuca trail that I'm doing. If all goes well it'll be the west coast trail next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast