Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (tim_1522) page 3

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Saturday, August 20, 2011

Breakfast: Amie made a huge omelet of eggs, chicken breast, and spinach all cooked in left over bacon grease. We also had some leftover slices of bacon that I "snacked" on with the omelet.
    Lunch: We took my son to a local bar/grill on the edge of a small lake and had lunch on the patio. I had a cheese burger with lettuce and tomato and with no bun and fries. The fries unfortunately were kind of "iffy" since potato is technically allowed, but I'm sure they were fried in crap oil. But, this was mitigated a bit by the Activity (see below)
    Dinner: Rotisserie chicken, avocado, and some lettuce and then had a "snack" of raspberries and Amie's homemade Nutella -- which this time she made with Stevia.
    PM snack: Square dark chocolate
    Activity: The three of us took a walk around the lake after lunch. It was 2.6miles and took about and hour and got some good sun along the way, too! Also, after that we ended up going to about 4 different stores and did quite a bit of walking while we were in each.
    Supplements: none...I forgot...
    Cheats: The fries...the Nutella...
    Thoughts: Ok...so the past 36 hours or so has seen a pretty absolute dearth in veggie consumption. I'm going to try to bump that up going forward! Interestingly enough, I'm currently reading the part of GCBC that *suggests* that man could literally live (and thrive) on meat alone!

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    Yesterday sounds delicious! I have actually been reading some recently on the best time to drink, meaning directly after eating or on an empty stomach. If the liver prioritizes alcohol processing first, one theory is that it may be better to drink on an empty stomach so there is no "competition" with food. And most of us know that drinking without eating often makes for a cheap date
    It was pretty delicious. But, it's looking like the alcohol may have stalled things a little bit. The point of eating beforehand was not so much to have an empty/full stomach before drinking, but rather to prevent me from EATING the bad stuff that I knew would be at a bar/grill type place. And, since I managed not to eat anything there, I think that was accomplished pretty well. The drinking was not optimal, but I had decided to stick NorCal margaritas to limit the damage. I was pretty lightheaded after I was done, though -- probably partly due to the fact that I've done very little drinking lately.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

AM Drink: 24 oz coffee and half can of coconut milk
    Breakfast: Amie made a smoothie with coconut milk, whey protein, raspberries, almond butter, and cocoa powder. I had some. It was pretty good. But, frankly I wasn't terribly hungry.
    Lunch: I was a little concerned I might be shorting myself in the protein department, so I had some leftover T-Bone steak and then big stack of asparagus with butter to address my dearth of veggies concern.
    Dinner: Amie made Pork with Apple or Blueberry Topping:http://primalhomesandgardens.wordpre...berry-topping/ and naturally, I had to try BOTH! I also had another pork chop plain (3 pork chops total), 1/2 a sweet potato, lots of steamed broccoli, as well as a mix of chilled veggies: celery, romaine, spinach.
    PM snack: a couple of slices of Volpi salami and Kerrygold sharp aged cheddar.
    Activity: Quite a bit...

SPRINTS: I got up pretty early this morning and tried Mark's WOW: WOW: Steep Climb | Mark's Daily Apple which is supposed to be a LHT type workout, but also seems like it can work for a Sprint as well. I suppose at some point the line between LHT and Sprint can blur. I usually do my Sprints on Saturday, but got distracted with other things...Oh well, as Mark says -- Life is fractal. In any event, I found a section of my back yard with a good slope, then measured off 10 big "Grok steps" (to estimate the specified 10m) and got started -- sprint up, sprint down, crawl up, crawl down -- 10 times!. It was hard and got me panting the whole way, but strangely not as hard as I thought it would be. One issue that presented itself is that I tore the skin on my knees up pretty badly doing the crawls even though I was doing it on grass, which may have slowed me down a little. I finished the 10 cycles in 10 minutes, 30 seconds and felt pretty good afterward.

MOVE SLOWLY: After breakfast, I went for a walk with my youngest who was cooling down after she had dome (regular) sprints of her own. After dinner, walked with the two younger up to the local elementary school and played around on the playground, swings, etc.

PLAY - Before dinner, walked up to the neighborhood pool and swam for an hour. Also, got some "play" in stuff listed above.

SUNLIGHT - I got lots today, which is good because I didn't get as much as I would have liked on the weekdays.

Supplements: none...forgot...
    Cheats: none technically, although I'm probably pushing the envelope on the fruit consumption.
    Thoughts:
    1) Continuing to have a fair amount of luck with "waking naturally" in the morning, that is before the alarm clock. I suppose if nothing else, if this benefit is on that's permanent, then "going Primal" would be worth it.
    2) I either need to find a set of knee pads...or I need to "toughen up" the skin on my knees before trying that Sprint/Crawl workout again. Talk about rubbed raw!
    3) So, this ends the 3rd week...or 21 days...of really "going Primal" and I suppose when I do the weekly update I need to muse about the journey a little.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-22-2011 at 10:53 AM.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Your knees should never touch the ground on those crawls. i would slow down a bit if you find your legs beginning to fatigue enough to start making contact with the ground.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Your knees should never touch the ground on those crawls. i would slow down a bit if you find your legs beginning to fatigue enough to start making contact with the ground.
    Oh....

I didn't realize that. I tried to follow the description of the "Grok Crawl" in the WOW the best I could, but I did feel like I wasn't really sure about the *right* way to do it. There was not a good video link or similar in the WOW post. I finally decided to say "screw it" and try it the best I could, rather than waiting around to make sure I knew exactly the "right way" as that would probably lead me to just never doing it -- Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good and all.

I thought that what I was doing was correct. So, next time I try it, I'll modify my approach. In other news, when I drove into work this morning it was hard to turn the steering wheel, so I think the workout had SOME effect!

So, Monday, August 22 (3 weeks in) weigh-in results and thoughts:

8/22/2011 - 199.4lb total weight, 24.9% body fat, 54.8% H2O. This works out to a "calculated" mass of body fat 49.65 lbs. So, from last week, "officially" I am showing a slight gain in body fat lbs and a slight loss in body lean lbs. But, since it all hinges on the bf %-age reading, which is not terribly accurate, I don't think it's much to worry about. Most likely, last week's percentage read a little low and maybe this week's read a little high. I may have not been fully hydrated this morning -- usually I make an effort to really consume sufficient water before bed on Sunday night in preparation for the Monday reading, but this week I didn't do that.

However, I can't ignore the drinking on Friday and the much higher carb consumption (even if they are the so-called "safe" carbs) over the weekend and possibilities of stalling out fat loss, especially fruit. And, I've heard that even if the dairy is low or no lactose, that too much of that can stall fat loss as well.

Overall, I'm still showing a 1.79 lb loss in fat and a 2.59 gain in lean. So, two weeks positive, with one week a slight negative with an overall positive trend. And, you know what? Regardless of the numbers, there places where my body "feels" like it's trending in the right direction body composition wise.

**ADDED when I finally remembered - Took my blood pressure and it was 125/79 with a pulse of 57.

So, it's been 21 days since I "went Primal" although I had been flirting around with it earlier and the previous protocol I was on (Tim Ferriss's Slow Carb Diet) was "in the ballpark". I have to admit that I am a bit dissatisfied in the "body composition" department. Whether it was fat loss or muscle gain, I was kind of hoping for more than what I've seen so far.

Still, I don't think it has "sucked", either and there have been benefits in other areas: better sleep, having more "fun", being active in a way that includes the kids (instead of me just off running by myself) are a few "intangibles". Additionally, I don't really have a desire to change the way I'm eating (walked by a container of pretzels/chips/snack grains cooked in whoknowswhatoil several times last week and didn't even miss not having donuts Sunday morning) or exercising (actually liking the LHT workouts and looking forward to sprints and trying "new" kinds of ways of working out, such as the sprint/crawl I did Sunday) or any of the other stuff -- just maybe hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel toward being on the right side of 20% BF a little more.

I am going to try to tweak a few things, though:

1) I say this every week, but never spell it out, so here goes: Going to track my macro nutrient numbers throughout the day/week. I'm not going to WAM everything I eat, but keep an "honest estimate" -- that is don't eat half a block of cheese and call it "1 oz" (hopefully, I won't eat half a block in the first place, though...) or similarly eat a small piece of chicken and call it "8 oz" Try to be fair/reasonable, but not overstress or spend a lot of time on it.

From my "back of the envelope" calculations, I should be shooting for: 150g protein (or more), 150g carbs (or less), 144g fat(adjusted to round out total calories = 2491) I'm going to be more concerned with taking everything across, say, a whole week and "averaging" versus any single day, but I think it's advisable to keep carbs under 150g each day no matter what and to get at least 100 g of protein each day.

2) It's time to limit fruit consumption. One serving a day, maximum -- and preferably eaten in conjunction with some physical activity.

3) Dairy needs to go, which for me means the bedtime cheese snacks.

4) In the activity department, I think I'm doing well, so I just want to make sure I keep doing what I've been doing: 1 sprint, 2 LHT, lots of "low level" stuff in between with some "fun" mixed in and out in the sunlight whenever possible and then sleep well!
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-31-2011 at 03:56 PM.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Monday, August 22, 2011

Breakfast: none
    AM drink: 24oz black coffee combined with 6.75oz (half the can from Whole Foods) coconut milk.
    Lunch: 3 chicken thighs cooked in coconut oil, broccoli (filled a 48oz container), spinach(1qt ziploc about 2/3 full), avocado, celery(3 large stalks)
    Dinner: 2 pork chops, 10 blueberries, ~1tsp almond butter, ~2tsp nutella
    PM snack: 3 bowls chicken broth that I made after having rotisserie chicken last week
    Activity: After Dinner, tried to Lift Heavy Things, but wasn't feeling really great about it. As I mentioned I noticed this morning that my upper body was really sore (in theory from Sunday's sprint workout) but we went up to do the 5 essential Primal movements. We made it through one round and then the pushups in the second round before deciding that it might be best to call it a night and come back stronger/rested on Thursday. Results:

Knee Pushups - 27, 15
    Two Legged Assist Pullups - 20
    Full Squats - 50
    Elevated Jack Knife Press - 25
    Front Hand/Foot Plank - 48 seconds
    Side 1 Hand/Foot Plank - 17 seconds
    Side 2 Hand/Foot Plank - 21 seconds

This one was *really* wrong from the get-go. Probably should have just not even started, but I guess at least I eventually listened to my body and didn't do anymore. I only did 50 full squats since I had some knee soreness after the last time I did LHT. Also, I tried to move to Level 3 on the planks, but that was pretty disastrous -- especially the side ones. I seemed to have a hard time holding myself up, but it was my arm muscles that failed not my core. Perhaps I'm doing this one wrong -- need to check the video again -- perhaps I'm just not strong enough in the arm to do this level plank, or perhaps (as Amie pointed out) my core needs to get stronger to take some of the strain off the arm. I don't know for sure, but I think if I can't figure it out by re-watching the video, I need to back off to Level 2 until both my core and arms gets stronger.

Not much else today other than a short mid-morning walk outside (about 5-10 minutes) meaning that I obviously didn't get enough sun today, either.

Supplements: 3(1200mg each) fish oil capsules
    Cheats: none...well, maybe the Nutella...
    Thoughts:
    1) Listen to your body...listen to your body...I didn't really take that to heed today.
    2) I got the "Primal Blueprint Insider" in my email today and it was supposed to be a further explanation of a previously written article. The article in question I had not seen before: How Light Affects Our Sleep | Mark's Daily Apple and it presented me with all sorts of new goodies for ideas on how I want to "tweak" my PB way of living. Unfortunately, I kind of already made some commitments for this week. But, the stuff in the article was very interesting (especially the F.lux program for computers) and I want to work on trying to get more blue light during the sun up times (especially morning hours) and less during the sun down times. (especially before bed)
    3) Today things kind of got hard. The frustrations at the apparent "lack of progress", the aborted LHT workout, and for the first time in a long time feeling hungry and also feeling like I shouldn't eat anymore...it all kind of piled up. Ultimately, I had those bowls of broth because I figured they would be pretty nutrient dense, but not add too much to the carbs/fat/calories/etc. It turned out to be a very satisfying experience.
    4) Macros for the day -- a rough estimate since I was not super exact on some portions and I didn't have nutrient content for stuff like the chicken broth so I had to kind of guess: 2208 calories, 157g protein, 92g carbs, 151g fat. Not a bad start as I hit protein target, stayed under carb target and all told stayed under calorie target. If anything, I *could* have possibly gotten a few more calories, but from a "long term" standpoint, that's not worth worrying about.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled, 4 strips bacon, ~1 cup spinach
    AM drink: 24oz black coffee combined with 6.75oz (half the can from Whole Foods) coconut milk.
    Lunch: 3 pork chops, broccoli (filled a 48oz container), spinach(1qt ziploc, full), avocado, celery(3 large stalks)
    Dinner: 1 large chicken breast
    PM snack: 1 square Lindt 85
    Activity: Not much. A short walk with Amie after she got home from work. Mostly, just Rest today.
    Cheats: none
    Thoughts:
    1) Woke up *extremely* tired and sore. Hopefully next time I'll know better and listen to my body sooner.
    2) Lunch at 4:30 pm -- wasn't hungry until then.
    3)
    Thanks! When I've recovered, I'll give it another try!
    4) I stopped to pick up four more dozen eggs at our local source on the way home from work. Since they are a cash only operation, I first stopped at the local Walgreens to buy *something* in order to get cash back. It turned out that something was the Lindt 85. But, while I was there, I noticed that roughly half of the store's business (based on product layout) stemmed from products/services related to Diabetes. Of course, there were 2 full aisles of candy (with the Lindt 85 being one of the few redeeming itesm) along with another full aisle devoted to chips and soda...coincidence? Anyways, the whole experience was somewhat uplifting and re-emphasized the importance of what we're trying to do here which was good considering I've been navigating a rough patch the past few days.
    5) Macros for the day -- still a bit of a rough estimate. I'm getting better at sizing portions, although for stuff like spinach where the counts are pretty low regardless, I'm less precise. Anyway, here's what I came up with: 2394 calories, 192g protein, 66g carbs, 157g fat. Heavy, heavy protein day...too much?? Still, I stayed under my target average daily calorie count again, mostly by having a pretty carb limited day -- NO fruit at all -- so, I guess I'm still doing ok...
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-24-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, chicken breast, ~1 cup spinach
    Lunch: avocado, can of tuna, spinach (3oz by weight), chicken breast, chicken thigh, broccoli (1/2 lb by weight), 3 stalks celery -- at this about 3:30pm
    Dinner: 1 tilapia fillet with a squirt of lemon juice
    PM snack: none
    Activity: Mid-day walk of 1.5 miles in 27 minutes also got good sun. "Play" of swimming with the kids for about 45 minutes and a little more sun. Some more "Move Slowly" in the evening, walking about 45 minutes while my youngest was at volleyball practice.
    Cheats: none
    Thoughts:
    1) Still want to think about the whole blue light when the sun is up and no blue light when the sun is down thing, but haven't had much time to consider it.
    2) Macros for the day: 2156 calories, 216g protein, 40g carbs, 123g fat. Again, high protein count (even more than yesterday) so I guess I need to maybe curb that a bit. OTOH, perhaps this may help with repair from pushing myself too hard Sunday/Monday. Even fewer carbs than the day before as well and once again I was under on calories. I suppose I should eat more, but honestly wasn't really hungry.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-25-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast