Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (tim_1522) page 2

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I think it is great that you are including some of the often ignored details in your goal such as getting outside and getting good rest.
    Well, these are the kind of things that seem to set this way of living apart from most of the latest "just another diet/exercise plan" so I'm trying to make sure not the lose focus there, even though I know my personality would tend to have that start to happen if I didn't.
    It is funny, when my husband and I moved into our current house a couple years ago, we were so excited for the huge pantry that would accommodate our enormous pasta, rice, and other grain inventory. Now it is a room with one shelf dedicated to food that contains only coconut milk, coconut oil, and a few cans of atrichoke hearts, black olives, and maybe some tomato paste. The extra space was ideal to shove a big freezer in for bulk buying meat though!
    I have a pantry full of stuff that I don't eat anymore. I'm undecided as to what to do with it since my wife and I are making a go at it now, we don't know for sure if that's something permanent or not. Also, the kids (especially the oldest) are much less willing/convinced on the matter. Sure, they like the endless meat creations that we have been churning up and they are pretty good about eating more veggies, too. But, they are less inclined to give up their pizza, pasta, and ESPECIALLY sandwiches. This is a bit of a hot-button issue right now as school is starting soon and they are making a lot of rumblings about wanting to take sandwiches in their lunches. Also, my wife was a semi-professional cake baker/decorator (good enough to get paid for the cakes she made, but no something she wanted to do ALL the time) and so she has quite a bit of decorating supplies.

For the moment, I just try not to go in the pantry unless I'm going after something I know that I'm looking for (like coconut oil, coconut milk, olive oil, spices, etc.)

So, Monday, August 15 (2 week in) weigh-in results and thoughts:

8/15/2011 - 200.0lb total weight, 24.2% body fat, 55.3% H2O. This works out to a "calculated" mass of body fat 48.40 lbs. This week, even though a slight uptick in total weight, I'm showing both a loss in "calculated" mass of body fat (down 1.00 lb) and a gain in "calculated" lean body mass (up 3.40 lb). As always caveats apply regarding the accuracy/precision of the measurement tool and since all the of the "calculated" measurements rely on the %-bf measurement, they are all a bit shaky to use as individual measures. Over time, the trends of these "calculated" values should show a fairly accurate picture, but I don't know that if that's the case just yet.

**ADDED when I finally remembered - Took my blood pressure and it was 127/77 with a pulse of 55.

Bottom line, too soon to tell if any new progress is being made, but (a complete side issue) I do like the fact that it appears that I've managed to stay UNDER 200 lbs since mid-April (at least I believe so as I didn't weigh-in regularly during the time between ending SCD and starting Primal...but I was under 200 before and after, so...) Anyway, that's almost 4 months and 200 had been a point that I would go back and forth across without staying under for a long time.

it would make sense that doing two LHT workouts and also sprinting (which is supposed to encourage muscle development) would produce results in the "lean mass gains" department, especially for a beginner in the strength department like me, but the results so far seem to be very "ideal" almost bordering on "unrealistic" to me. I suspect that at the very least the pace will not continue.

However, two "positive" weeks (and despite some slip ups) is something to be happy about and so I'm going to try to continue to "run with it", but remain a bit cautiously optimistic.

Next week, I (still) want to do a better job logging the pertinent data such as eating logs, activity/exercise, etc. I also want to continue with the success I had last week doing 2 strength ("Lift Heavy Things") workouts along with 1 Sprint workout AND increase the overall time of "Moving Slowly" and "Play" and continue to focus on getting good sunlight exposure and YES! rest/sleep. Finally, I want to focus on my veggies and try to eat more of those instead of quite so many treats/PB "gray areas" (fruit, cheese, sweets like dark chocolate and stuff made with coconut, etc.) as well as try to reach an up-tick in protein consumption -- especially since my increase in lean mass would dictate I need to do that anyways.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Weighing in after slip-ups can be tricky for sure. Once adapted to this way of eating, I can easily put on 3+ pounds by eating a single grain heavy meal (i.e. pizza, burger) due to water retention. It is kind of the reverse of those first few water weight pounds we all drop fast when we initially start eating a primal/paleo diet. You do seem to not be too obsessed with the scale numbers, which is awesome, because the scale is incredibly deceiving, especially as you are working out more and building muscle. You can easily see a lot of trimming out without losing much poundage.

Stick with it, you are doing great! I feel your pain, my husband was a professional baker/pastry chef also! We were seriously bread-a-holics before going primal over a year ago. We would easily make a meal out of a couple loaves of fresh baked bread and a vat of good olive oil. About 6 months in to this diet we decided to have a "cheat" night and have that meal again...boy was it different. The bread tasted so different and bland, and the gastric debauchery it caused was very much not worth it!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Monday, August 15, 2011

(Going to try this one post, one day for awhile...)

Breakfast: none
    AM drink: 24oz black coffee combined with 6.75oz (half the can from Whole Foods) coconut milk.
    Lunch: none...I received the "Primal Blueprint Insider" in my email mid-morning and decided to take Mark up on his challenge to "Skip your next meal!"
    Dinner: Came home pretty hungry having only had the coffee since sometime last night and had a pretty big meal -- healthy serving of slow cooked beef stew meat along with broccoli, asparagus, lettuce, and spinach (and I had a LOT of each! ) Also, had one of those coconut blueberry balls that my wife made yesterday morning.
    PM snack: After doing my LHT workout (see "Activity" below) I had a small kiwi.
    Activity: Had to attend a wake for a friend of my wife after dinner and did a fair amount standing and walking. After we got home, it was time to Lift Heavy Things again with the 5 essential Primal movements. Results:

Wall Pushups - 65, 70
    Two Legged Assist Pullups - 17, 15
    Full Squats - 65, 70
    Elevated Jack Knife Press - 27, 30
    Front Forearm/Knee Plank - 90, 91 seconds
    Side 1 Forearm/Knee Plank - 60, 65 seconds
    Side 2 Forearm/Knee Plank - 71, 90 seconds

This makes 3 times in a row doing a LHT workout. As a result of the past few LHT workouts, I'm moving myself from Level 1 to Level 2 on the pushups, so next time out I'll be doing the Knee Pushups. I'm close to moving myself up on the Overheard Press and the Planks...but I think I'm going to stay at the Levels I'm at for now. Overheard Press because this is the first time I hit number on both sets and I want to make sure I can repeat that. For Planks, I read the thread about really engaging the abs and glutes and feel like I haven't really been doing that as well as I could...so, I'm going to stick where I'm at for awhile and REALLY focus on that. Overall, a pretty good day...but, I didn't really get much sun today, though!

Supplements: none...forgot again...
    Cheats: none...surprising to me after skipping two meals today. I ate a LOT at dinner, but it was all good stuff and even the one thing that I'm trying to keep an eye on (fruit) I only had one serving and it was post-workout, which is the ideal time to do it.
    Thoughts: Lately I've noticed that I sometimes get a strange burning/funny feeling in the back of my throat. It's not hunger and it's not indigestion (believe me, I know what BOTH of those feel like) but, it's sometimes very distracting. When I mentioned it to my wife (who started a primal based blog -- Primal Homes and Gardens ) so asked if I had a metalic taste in my mouth since that's something associated with ketosis. I didn't hardly think I could be in ketosis with all the cheating I did lately...(Friday and Sunday) I am curious if anyone has experienced stuff similar to this...
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Breakfast: chicken thigh cooked in coconut oil, 3 pasture raised eggs cooked in bacon grease, big thing of steam broccoli
    AM drink: 24oz black coffee combined with 6.75oz (half the can from Whole Foods) coconut milk.
    Lunch: none...wasn't hungry, was busy...the lunch I packed went as "dinner"
    Dinner: 2 secret BBQ sauce chicken breast (leftover from Sunday), 1 small avocado, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, small mix of blueberries and strawberries. This was probably a lot, and I probably should have skipped the fruit, but this food was "lunch" from Monday and I wanted to get it eaten. Still have the "clean plate / don't waste" mindset.
    Second Dinner: Not really sure what to call it... I am somewhat ashamed to admit, but I ended up eating again when I got home from work -- First Dinner was in the 5pm time frame, while Second Dinner was in the 8-9pm time frame. I had made plans (in the morning) to fire up the grill when I got home from work and cook a big package of chicken breast, then follow that up with cooking a package of Sirloins. Well, that was before my eating schedule went all screwy during the day, BUT I didn't want to disappoint the family who was counting on me following plan. So, I grilled the chicken, then the steaks. I had a fairly large one, along with a small amount of broccoli and lettuce/spinach salad. I think that I probably could have easily come home and not had anything to eat. In theory, the mostly steak meal should provide me some nice protein to help stave of catabolism, but I probably could have done without this meal.
    Activity: Walked the youngest up to her first day of school this morning (about 1 mile round trip) -- some "Move Slowly" and I suppose a little bit of sun exposure. Did about 2 hours of house cleaning/work and handyman type work before going into work at noon. Not much else, but did get to bed at a pretty good time, so I guess we can call a lot of today "Rest".
    Supplements: 3(1200mg each) fish oil capsules
    Cheats: none -- other than taking in an extra meal that I didn't really "need"
    Thoughts: On the way home from work, picked up another 4 dozen of the naturally raised eggs from the local individual (the same one we got eggs from on Sunday) and I'm really happy about the whole arrangement here. Next, it's time to order a grass fed cow (or half of one anyways...)
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-17-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    Weighing in after slip-ups can be tricky for sure. Once adapted to this way of eating, I can easily put on 3+ pounds by eating a single grain heavy meal (i.e. pizza, burger) due to water retention. It is kind of the reverse of those first few water weight pounds we all drop fast when we initially start eating a primal/paleo diet. You do seem to not be too obsessed with the scale numbers, which is awesome, because the scale is incredibly deceiving, especially as you are working out more and building muscle. You can easily see a lot of trimming out without losing much poundage.
    Well, if you want to think I'm not too obsessed with scale numbers, then that's great! *Hides spreadsheets containing weigh-in data from nearly every Monday since May 19, 2010*

But, seriously, I do record data often, but I try to look at the trends of it. AND, I think I benefit from having done the weighing so often. I can often spot a bogus reading and even though I record it, I kind of mentally throw it out and not worry too much. Also, as imprecise as the %-bf measurement may be, I can look at things like this week where I gained total pounds, but LOST fat and GAINED muscle -- both good things!. Now, is the reality of what happened to me over the past week *exactly* what those numbers say? Probably not, but they are at least reasonable and pretty close...and much better than just coming away with, "Welp...I gained 2.4 lbs this week" Despite all my "logical" approach to it all, emotionally I would like to stay under 200 if at all possible, though. Sometimes it's tough to completely break away.
    Stick with it, you are doing great! I feel your pain, my husband was a professional baker/pastry chef also! We were seriously bread-a-holics before going primal over a year ago. We would easily make a meal out of a couple loaves of fresh baked bread and a vat of good olive oil. About 6 months in to this diet we decided to have a "cheat" night and have that meal again...boy was it different. The bread tasted so different and bland, and the gastric debauchery it caused was very much not worth it!
    Thanks for checking in and encouraging me! I should return the favor and visit your journal sometime. Honestly, just keeping this up to date and trying to read SOME of the huge amount of info (along with trying to get another few more pages into GCBC each night before bed) is a lot!

I have heard that after being away from breads/grains that you notice feeling like crap a lot more than you used to. I'm not sure how this will translate for me as I feel like I'm someone that's pretty grain tolerant. I've not really done much grains since taking the plunge into Primal -- most of my indiscretions have been in the excess sugar, excessively processed, excess potatoes, and the times when I really don't know what's in the stuff. I have to say, though that ditching the usual grain fare (white buns for example) hasn't been too hard -- I look at them and just don't WANT them. Now, if the time comes when it's a REALLY good loaf or a well made cake, that will probably be a different story. Who knows, though...maybe when that time comes I will get the full effect of grain kicking me in the gut...

My wife the former baker is trying this along with and has actually started a blog -- Primal Homes and Gardens It's not much just yet, but I expect it get up and going soon.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Breakfast: two of the "blueberry/butter/nut balls" that my wife made on Sunday. They went good with the coffee and I wasn't really hungry for anything more -- not surprising after last night!
    Lunch: Chicken breast, broccoli, avocado, lettuce, spinach, blueberries
    Dinner: I had a second chicken breast while I was still at work (~6pm, I worked late) but then wasn't really hungry when I got home
    PM snack: Before bed, I had 3 slices of Volpi Salami (good stuff!) some KerryGold sharp aged cheddar, and a square of 72% dark chocolate.
    Activity: I took a 30 minute walk after lunch, basically as soon as I finished the blueberries...which I think is good since it was recommended to try to get your activity close to the intake of any higher carb foods such as fruit. I also really wanted to get outside during the daytime to get some more sun. This was thwarted slightly due to the pretty heavy cloud cover during my walk. But, at least I got outside!
    Cheats: none
    Thoughts: I still have the weird burning sensation in the back of my throat (described on Monday). I need to do a little more digging on this one.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-18-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Breakfast: None...had an early meeting and besides, at this point if I get my coffee with coconut milk on the way out the door in the morning...I'm good...
    AM drink: 24oz black coffee combined with 6.75oz (half the can from Whole Foods...well, actually a little less cuz I slopped a bit on the counter and then cussed myself out. Hey there killer! watch the Cortisol!) coconut milk.
    Lunch: Chicken thighs, broccoli, green beans, avocado, spinach, 1 small kiwi
    Dinner: T-bone steak, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, organic raspberries
    PM snack: square dark chocolate
    Activity: Upon getting home from work and before Dinner, I wanted to Lift Heavy Things again with the 5 essential Primal movements and also get some sun at the same time. So, up to the elementary school I went, this was the first time doing "Level 2" on the pushups.. Results:

Knee Pushups - 21, 18
    Two Legged Assist Pullups - 20, 19
    Full Squats - 70, 72
    Elevated Jack Knife Press - 35, 29
    Front Forearm/Knee Plank - 105, 96 seconds
    Side 1 Forearm/Knee Plank - 63, 61 seconds
    Side 2 Forearm/Knee Plank - 81, 68 seconds

So, should I Level up from 4 to 5 in Squats? I read the description for the "Side to Side Squat" but it didn't make much sense to me and unfortunately after Level 4 there aren't any helpful videos out there. What about Overhead Press -- time for Level 2? I'm thinking one more round first. Planks -- I think it's time to move up here, so next time out it's Hand/Feet Planks.

Cheats: none
    Thoughts:
    1) If I *am* actually in ketosis as Amie suggests, then it doesn't seem to be helping me much in the weight department...yes, I cheated and did an in-between weigh-in this morning, but I'm not sharing what it was!
    2) As of about 2pm, I'm actually looking FORWARD to getting to LHT tonight (I've kind of gotten into a Monday-Thursday pattern here...yes, I know Mark says I should mix things up because "life is fractal"...but I like/need structure, especially when I'm starting out) In the next week or two, I'll look to mixing the days up a little bit.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Breakfast: sausage, eggs, and spinach (although I ate it at 12:30pm)
    Lunch: chicken thighs, asparagus, avocado, lettuce, spinach, strawberries (this was about 4:00pm)
    Dinner: after coming home I kind of foraged -- the last of those "blueberry nut balls" from Sunday, some Volpi Salami, some Kerrygold Aged Sharp Cheddar, then a little while later, Amie made me some steak and spinach.
    PM snack: Square dark chocolate
    Activity:
    Cheats: 4 "NorCal" Margaritas after work -- drinking IS cheating right, even if it is "low carb"
    Thoughts:
    1) Woke up this morning before the alarm...which has happened a couple of times recently.
    2) Also woke up with pain/soreness in my left knee. This has always been my "problem knee" -- if I'm going to have knee pain, it's going to be this one. First was a problem back in 2002 when I was running (during one of my MANY times of "gotta get back in shape" scrambles over the years) and surprisingly did NOT cause me too much trouble in the April 2010-May 2011 timeframe when I get into running a LOT and was probably doing some serious Chronic Cardio. I was surprised that after it not popping up during 13 months of serious running that it has now shown up after 3 or 4 weeks of following PBF. I think for now, I'm definitely going to stay at "Level 4" in squats...and possibly dial down the reps to 50 per cycle for the next few LHT workouts.
    3) After work was a "happy hour" celebrating the promotions of 2 team members. The timing of my meals was intentional so that I was eating just before heading to the happy hour. I think I managed to do well, only having the 4 drinks. I would have preferred to have drank a little less, but as least I didn't dive into one of the many plates of "carb-o-riffic" that was at the table we were all sitting at.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 08-19-2011 at 08:56 PM.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday sounds delicious! I have actually been reading some recently on the best time to drink, meaning directly after eating or on an empty stomach. If the liver prioritizes alcohol processing first, one theory is that it may be better to drink on an empty stomach so there is no "competition" with food. And most of us know that drinking without eating often makes for a cheap date
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast