Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm finally going to buy some Coconut Oil... page

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member

I'm finally going to buy some Coconut Oil...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Now that I have my food allergies all sorted out, coconut is a go! Yay!! I'm going to go with the Nutiva brand, but what size do I want to buy & what does everyone do with it? There's a 426gm, 823gm, and a 1.5Kg.

Also, what's the difference between the Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut oil & the Nutiva Manna?

Thanks!

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    id start out small to make sure you like the stuff since its pretty expensive
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I bought 500 mls for my first go. Now I have ordered 2 more, one will be used as a body butter in the bathroom, and the other I'm just trying to see if it tastes different. I'm not a huge fan of it in savory food, but like it melted on top of a small bowl of berries and Greek yogurt.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Babe View Post
    Also, what's the difference between the Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut oil & the Nutiva Manna?

Thanks!
    The manna is like a coconut butter, so totally different than the oil. It has the flesh of the coconut. It's good to just eat, or blend with coffee, but if you're looking for something to cook with, you'll want oil.

livingprimal is offline Senior Member
    I get a twin pack of 15 oz tubs, delivered, through Amazon for under $16 using their Subscribe & Save feature. Don't worry, you can always go in and cancel the subscription or put it off for months until you decide how fast you will go through it. I'm always looking for a good deal, and ounce for ounce, this seems to be a good price.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    I get mine here. Good size. Good price. Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 54 oz Liquid - Swanson Health Products
    Coconut oil keeps for a long time. I use it to cook with and put 3 tablespoons in whey protien shakes when I make them.

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member
    I buy the refined and unrefined - the refined has no coconut taste, so use that for savoury cooking - the unrefined tastes of coconut and that's what I use in coffee, baking, and wherever I want the taste of coconut. I've used Nutiva, Spectrum and Jarrow - all with good results. If you buy it from somewhere like WholeFoods, it will be 2 separate places, the oil aisle AND the supplement aisle. Have fun and enjoy.

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    I'm in Canada, so I'll be ordering it online. I think I'll get the coconut manna for my coffee, (yummy!) and the unrefined for baking, etc... I use my organic bacon grease for cooking savoury foods.

Thanks everyone!!

cremare is offline Junior Member
    can you let me know where you order it from? I'm in Canada also and would like to find a cheaper option then the grocery store!

Corwin1968 is online now Member
    I bought a middle-eastern variety at one of the local international food markets and I've found that it's fantastic for cooking potatoes, much better than butter and maybe even better than bacon grease. I have found that at room temperature the coconut oil has the consistency of a candle....pretty difficult to spoon out of the jar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast