Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nourishing the Mind, Body, and Soul- Star Whisperer page

Nourishing the Mind, Body, and Soul- Star Whisperer

Time to journalize! Being that I'm feeding my body completely differently from how I have in the past, a journal seems to make sense one for accountability, two for hopefully sorting out my relationship with food, and third a rambling from a good ol "crazy" is always fun too (okay I'm really not crazy, I just like to poke fun, although we are all probably a little bit crazy!)

A little bit of your standard intake type of stuff:

Your location: Detroit, Michigan

Age (If you want): 29

How Primal are you: Right now 100% (I think)

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Nope, trying to do this caffeine free too (eek, will people really want to be around me?)

Motivator for switching to Primal: I really needed to make the switch from the mindset of a diet to the mindset of a lifestyle that I can live by. As well as taking to heart the aspects of nourishing the mind, body, and soul

Favorite exercise: I have to admit, right now its probably flipping 300 lb tractor tires

Favorite Primal food: Avocados, Beef, Almond butter (hey! thats three you big cheater!)

Best part about being Primal: That I get to horrify people when I tell them that I don't eat grains, dairy, sugar, anything processed etc and the look they give me as to imply that I am drastically killing my body and will surely be dead within the week.

Worst part about being Primal: Figuring all of this out, and twitching in fear as to how my body will respond to all the changes I'm making. (I'll just sit here in the corner rocking back and forth in the dark, don't mind me!)

Blurbage:

I came across the whole primal/paleo concept when doing an online search (for the life of me I can't remember what exactly it was that I was searching for, but all things happen for a reason, right?) I became intrigued and found myself immediately downloading the primal blue print (well okay, I read a bunch of blogs first and then downloaded it)

I've always been one of those crash dieters of sorts (as I have horrible relationships with food, I chalk a lot of it up to being an emotional eater as a result of a past of sexual/domestic abuse, along with having absentee parents growing up) Granted they are all excuses and ultimately I have the power to control my own life (I'm getting there, and one day I will be there).

I know there are better ways to start taking control of my life especially when food is involved, and hopefully that is where the whole primal/paleo thing will come into play. What I'm finding is that I just need to find a lifestyle in which works for me in which I can allow my entire being to become "nourished"
    Its amazing how as a society when others hurt us we in turn hurt ourselves. What kind of a life is that? Further more why do we find comfort in food (especially horrible food).

The deciding point in taking the plunge and attempting this lifestyle became the result of a four month stint where I completely destroyed my body and became quite miserable in the process. Exercising way to much barely eating (if at all eating) and as a result I killed my body, maimed my spirit, and fighting tooth and nail to regain all of it back. Its "funny" how easy it was to destroy it and how long its going to take to regain all of it back.

Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction

Hello, everyone!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I hope to hear more from you on here! Welcome
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Okay so I'm noticing a few things that are frustrating me:

1.Ridiculously tired after eating I'm not sure what the deal is with this but right after I eat I become instantaneously exhausted to the point that I actually fall asleep for awhile. What gives?

Headaches It seems that this is normal, with all people that are starting out from what I've read. Does anything curb them? (I want to avoid medications

Lightheadedness I'm noticing that from going from sitting to standing I'll get dizzy and everything will go black for a few moments, is this normal?

I'm sure most if not all of it is just basically my body detoxing and that I need to just ride out the storm, kind of like a drug addict going through withdrawals? Tell me it does get better...lol

Food Log

I've been meaning to start a food log and it just kind of skips past my mind. So heres to starting a new habit...lol

Breakfast: No breakfast today
    Lunch: 1/3 lb hamburger patty, Cup and a half of broccoli, a quarter of a cucumber with guacamole, smoothie (with coconut milk, a cup of berries, coconut oil, almond butter, and cinnamon)

Any thoughts, comments, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Your first three bold points are most likely (like almost 100%) due to the switch over your body is making from getting its energy from fat rather than from carbs. I promise these symptoms will go away In some people it only takes a day or two - in others it can take a week or two. But it's definitely worth fighting through.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I had a lot of the same problems, and it lasted for a couple weeks. It was tough, but stick with it, it will be worth it, I promise!

I have never been a high-energy person, so I didn't believe I would ever feel all energetic like everyone keeps saying. It really does happen, though! I can't even tell you how many times I just need to get up from my desk and walk around, just to burn some energy. I went for a two-mile walk yesterday and didn't feel a bit tired afterward. I don't go through that 3 pm slump any more, and I wake up in the morning ready to start the day rather than just wanting to go back to sleep like I used to.

There's not a lot you can do about the carb flu symptoms except push through them. Make sure you're getting plenty of water, and keep eating good food, and vent here in your journal, there are plenty of us that understand
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Ugh I wish that I could just bypass this whole low energy thing, its getting annoying. Not going to toss in the towel though. No pain no gain, right? On the upside though I do find that after I go to the gym my energy levels peak back up again. Interesting. I'm just ready to be back at 100%.

Breakfast:Coconut milk smoothie (coconut milk, frozen berries, coconut oil, almond butter, vanilla)
    Lunch:Chicken breast, broccoli, shrimp, guacamole, salsa
    Pre Workout:Coconut milk smoothie (coconut milk, frozen berries, coconut oil, almond butter, vanilla
    Dinner 2 hamburger patties, broccoli

Generally speaking I drink around 75-90 ounces of water a day, it used to be more but I found that upon having my body fat level tested that my water level was well over 20% of what a woman should have (actually I even over exceeded the amount for men as well by about 10%) So I decided to cut back on the water a bit.

Exercise today consisted of 6 33 second rounds of the following:

*Tractor tire flips
    *Updowns with a bosu ball/abdominal pull ups (3 rounds/3 rounds)
    *single arm swings with battle ropes/plank pushups
    *Single arm swings with 25lb kettle ball

*1 hour on the punching bag
    *Engine run with 20 people, first person sets the pace and then passes a medicine ball to the person behind and the ball travels person to person until it reaches the end of the line, once the ball is at the end of the line the last person then runs the ball up to the front of the line, and then sets the pace and so on and forth

Why do people have to suck so bad? Ugh. My co-workers basically staged a mini intervention because I'm "starving myself to death." Really? Mind you this is all because I didn't indulge in their pizza, sub sandwiches, donuts, etc. I was prompted with the question of well if you don't eat wheat, processed foods, sugar, dairy, etc what DO you eat? Explaining to them that I eat copious amounts of meat, vegetables, fruit, good fats, etc was not good enough. Grains, you don't eat grains? You have to eat grains. Really? The last I checked I can get my carbs through vegetables and fruit. Blah. Mind you that on top of all of these these co workers that are accusing me of "starving myself to death" are all over weight. Jealousy, maybe? Narrow minded? I don't know. Frustrating none the less. Especially given my struggles with food.

Does anyone else find smells of pizza, subs, doughnuts, etc to be ridiculously overpowering now to the point of migraines? Eeek.

On to the food (thats always more exciting)

Breakfast: Coconut milk smoothie (berries, coconut milk, almond butter, cinnamon, vanilla)
    Lunch: Skipped (no time in between work and class, no hunger pangs though)
    Dinner: Two hamburger patties, and some makeshift zucchini spaghetti (The sauce came out a bit runnier than I would have liked, but in general it was pretty tasty!)

Exercise
    * 4 mile walk
    * 2 mile light Jog

Regarding the carb flu
    Energy level was surprisingly good today! I'm curious as to if it was because I skipped lunch, or if I am finally beating this carb flu with a mighty fist.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I really don't like your co-workers. How is it any of their business?

There is a bakery in a shopping center where I often go on my lunch hour, I really don't find the scent of their bread pleasant at all anymore. The combination of wheat and yeast just isn't appealing. I used to love fresh baked bread.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

My only concern is that you might not be getting enough protein early in the day. A couple of things you can do: crack a couple of eggs into your smoothie or add a scoop of protein powder. A handful of spinach blended in there would give you some good nutrients too!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Did the smoothies with eggs added today, definitely going to be a new addition!

Imagine my annoyance today when I discovered that the family decided to eat my left over zucchini spaghetti!!! Arggh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast