Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enhancing Pull up Bar Grips page

primalrob is offline Senior Member

Enhancing Pull up Bar Grips

Primal Fuel
    so, i do my pull ups on a power tower with a fairly small bar, and my hands are turning into one big callus. i want to increase the circumference of the bar so i can focus more on strength and form, and less on the pain in my palms. a thicker bar would also help my grip strength.

i don't really want to get fatgrips, so i want to try a homemade macgyver thing first. i'm thinking a little tennis grip secured by some athletic tape might do the trick and save me some money. any opinions on whether this will work?

any other suggestions on getting that bar thicker?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I haven't done this but I was thinking of trying to get some thick PVC and somehow wrapping it around the bar. I also use what you use for pull ups when I'm home.

Maybe pipe insulation? I made a dip belt using that I think that could work if you tape around it with athletic tape maybe.

However, you could also in the meantime at least, try to grip the bar to reduce callous. Instead of putting your palm on the bar grip the bar where your fingers naturally curve in, this minimizes callus formation a lot (since your skin doesn't get trapped) and also works on your grip strength.

Even if you get bigger bars, if you don't grip right you will get callouses.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I love my fat gripz and use them for all sorts of things, including dips etc.

You could also just use tennis balls. Google Jens Pulver pullups and you'll see what I mean.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post

Maybe pipe insulation? I made a dip belt using that I think that could work if you tape around it with athletic tape maybe.
    ooooh...how did you make that?

that's a good point about how to grip the bar. i'll try moving a bit and squeezing a little harder. i'll probably tape it at the very least since i have to keep it outside and i'll need something on there come winter.

Ridiculously easy: ‪Dips belte 9 5 09‬‏ - YouTube

Get a chain, some carabiners (I used two), some tape and pipe insulation. Shouldn't run you more than $20.

Buy extra pipe insulation and throw that on top of your bar, boom, fat gripz.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    I love my fat gripz and use them for all sorts of things, including dips etc.

You could also just use tennis balls. Google Jens Pulver pullups and you'll see what I mean.
    I didn't find that, but is it the same as the soft-ball grips? I wanted to make that but never got around to it ...

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Do you wear gloves? My calluses are a whole lot smaller since I started using fingerless weightlifting gloves. Both my hands still have calluses but I don't seem to have to cut them down anymore.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I had the similar issue with dumbbells and used 2in pvc pipe to fatten them up

Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    I had the similar issue with dumbbells and used 2in pvc pipe to fatten them up
    That's sort of what I was thinking but you unfortunately can't slip PVC into the bar as it doesn't... actually wait mine does come apart at the top! but there's a bend in it (for the stupid "wide" pull ups) so it still won't work... dang it.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I didn't find that, but is it the same as the soft-ball grips? I wanted to make that but never got around to it ...
    don't need to make the grips. You just take tennis balls and go, rest them on top of the bar, and grip. It's hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast