Thread: Introduction of a Newbie (Grok Jr.) and a Question page

jpickett1968 Guest

Primal Fuel

Ever since I came across this site about 3 weeks ago, I'm like a Grok Jr. in a butcher shop. (not a kid in candy store cuz...ya know...) My familiarity with P90X somehow led me to Mark which led me to this site which led me to his book. In the meantime my passion with running led me to the Vibram Five Fingers which also led me back to Mark's Daily Apple. It's destiny I am going Primal.

Anyway I am 3/4 through the Primal Blueprint book and I'm chomping at the bit to get more and more info.

I'm a 41 year old father of 5. I just came off of Round 1 of P90X and obtained some good results. (You can see my pics, etc. at http://lifeisntover.wordpress.com. I'll be posting more on Primal very soon!) Lost 15 lbs., started to get some abs showing, but would like to get more lean so I can then go back, add some more mass and settle in at around 170 or so. I'm 5'10". Ever since I completed P90X and started the Primal lifestyle, I have not gained any weight even though I've only run a handful of times and had one workout.

So, here are my questions for all in no particular order:

1. I have done a good job this past week at keeping my carbs at or below 100g per day. I'm adjusting and eating mostly meat, eggs, bacon, almonds, cream, berries, a little almond milk, veggies, salads a little cheese, and protein powder. I do find myself getting the munchies. I know PB wisdom doesn't want us to count calories, so how long does it take to understand your body well enough to get in tune and not have to use the scale on a regular basis?

2. Until I locate a grass fed beef supplier in my area, I've been eating the commercial crap, keeping that as lean as I can since the fat can store the bad stuff as Mark points out. Can lean choices be acceptable in Primal should grass fed be an issue locating or purchasing? With 5 kids in the house, it's difficult upping the grocery bill that much more.

3. Snacks - I'm eating nuts mostly for my snack and I'm looking to get a dehydrator so I can make my own beef jerky. What other recommended snacks does everyone enjoy the most?

Thanks to all in advance for the assistance. Like I said earlier, I am a Grok Jr. eager to hear more from the elders of this tribe.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I used Fitday/My Fitness Pal for about 8 weeks after going primal -- not to count calories, but to count carbs. Once I had a good feel for the carb count of the foods I typically eat, I quit counting and have done fine since. Nothing wrong with a bit of counting (carbs and/or calories) until you get your primal feet under you.

I, too, eat mostly CAFO meat for economic reasons. To minimize the impact, I use leaner cuts and cook them in beneficial fats and take a fish oil supplement to help counteract the Omega-6 blow.

For snacks, try hard boiled eggs, unsweetened coconut chips, avocado slices (or veggies dipped in homemade guacamole), tea with a generous splash of coconut milk, cold leftover meat, etc.

Welcome!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

You can buy the cheaper cuts of grassfed stuff... like stew meat, ground beef, etc... in bulk and freeze. buffallo might be an option because it's at grocery stores and generally leaner.

jpickett1968 Guest

Thanks for the suggestions BG and Arthur - much appreciated. I love new experiences, but this Primal Blueprint/Paleo diet makes perfect sense - and who doesn't like to question "Authority" (aka Conventional Wisdom). What I enjoy also are the many blogs/sites supporting this like yours BarbeyGirl. I'm excited to read more and accumulate/trial these recipes.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hey, thanks JP. Glad you like the blog...I'd best get busy and post more!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid