Thread: Possibly having Gall Bladder removed. How do I stay lean post-surgery? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Possibly having Gall Bladder removed. How do I stay lean post-surgery?

Been having pains for awhile now caused by my gall bladder and my doc wants to take it out. I don't really have a problem with this but i;ve read places people after this surgery can gain weight easily because your gall bladder isn't regulating fat intake anymore? Is that right?

How do I keep eating the things I love while remaining lean and feeling good?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I had my GB out in 1984. Put weight on, took it off, put it on again. Can't relate this to my lack of a GB but can relate it to poor eating habits

Without a GB, and after some conventional dieting and 5 months on the PB, I'm now down 35 lbs with no issues whatsoever.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I had my GB out in 1984. Put weight on, took it off, put it on again. Can't relate this to my lack of a GB but can relate it to poor eating habits

Without a GB, and after some conventional dieting and 5 months on the PB, I'm now down 35 lbs with no issues whatsoever.
    Pretty much the same for me - mine came out in 2000 and I didn't notice anything different in how my body handles (or doesn't handle) fat (but I sure did appreciate the absence of crushing pain from gallbladder attacks!). I lost 125 lbs on a low-carb diet in 2003-2004, and have gained/re-lost 40ish lbs of that several times since then. I can attribute the gain/loss to times when I was and wasn't eating well, not to my gallbladder!

I was 29 when mine came out; my dad was 65. He's had very mild diarrhea since he had his out (controllable with light medication), but he's 75 now and still lean and healthy.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Mine came out in 2005 and didn't have any bearing on my weight one way or the other. I needed to loose 20 (ish) lbs. before the surgery but didn't gain any extra after. Started PB in February of this year, the 20 lbs. dropped like a stone and no digestive changes otherwise except an immediate and complete stop to indigestion and acid reflux.

Now, I was never much into the CW scene anyway, always ate full-fat, tons of meat & veggies, a fair amount of dairy and very little sugar, so switching to Primal for me was pretty much just cutting the grains & legumes - easy, peasy. I regret not learning about PB before the fact because I hate the idea of missing parts but not having a gallbladder hasn't had any effect that I can see.

Boy_Dinosaur is offline Junior Member
    I had mine removed in October. The first couple of weeks was certainly an adustment period. I would routinely be in the bathroom 20 minutes after eating most anything. I lost a couple of pounds the first week or so, but haven't seen any weight loss or gain I can attribute to the surgery since. There aren't really any foods I can't eat, but I know that if I put hot sauce on anything I need to have a bathroom handy within 20 minuntes. I don't think you will see much of a change at all (except for the loss of pain) and nothing primal approved has ever given me any grief.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    I had mine out a little under three years ago. For a while I couldn't tolerate red meat, but that seems to have sorted itself out. Otherwise, the only changes have been a distinct lack of pain.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf mentioned in one of his podcasts that complications from the gall bladder may be a sign that you are celiac.

If you aren't strict with your grains already, you may wish to try that first and see if your problems clear up. Or not! I think this is the podcast that covers it:

gall bladder

Good luck!

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah i've been tested for celiac disease and it was negative but i dont eat grains of any kind.

Well thank you to you all for putting my mind at ease.