Thread: MaLink's Primal Journey page

MaLink is offline Member

Cool MaLink's Primal Journey

Each journey begins with a step and for me, the primal step happened 24 hours ago. I'm excited and worried all at the same time, but I anticipate good things to come if I try this Primal Blueprint stuff for at least thirty days. In this thread I'll attempt to keep track of my food intake and exercise, my moods and my overall health.

A bit about myself and why I was initially hesitant to begin this diet (or any diet): I'm a cashier for Wal-Mart working the graveyard shift and just passed my first anniversary there. Though I love the laid-back family feel of the night shift, it has thrown my life into confusion when it comes to the food I eat and the sleep I get. An average day off means that I get no sleep during the day, but still cannot get sleep at night because I'm now accustomed to being awake during those hours. Food consumption is irregular and varies in amount from not enough to way too much. I'm worried that starting a diet under these conditions is setting myself up for failure, but I'm hoping that PB will instead help me with this...

The main course: I've been overweight since fourth grade, and four years ago I passed into the morbidly obese range. My mind is in constant denial about how I actually look and every time I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself I'm shocked and hurt. I get sick often, my joints hurt occasionally, my back hurts if I don't move regularly, and I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, major depression, and severe ADHD. Emotional eating and portion control are my biggest eating problems.

Something has to change or I'll just keep spiralling deeper into this crazy, useless way of life until I die from an obesity-related preventable disease.

Last week I stumbled across Mark's Daily Apple and the Primal Blueprint. I've been researching the paleo and primal way of life and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I might as well try it, right? In science, testing a hypothesis is the best way to find answers.

So here I go.

MaLink is offline Member
    DAY ONE: Monday, August 8th, 2011 at 12:00pm.

Lunch: A bowl of homemade Greek salad with crumbled feta cheese. Dessert was a smaller bowl of fresh blueberries and raspberries. Felt full and satisfied after this meal.

Snack: A couple hours later, started getting the munchies again. Decided to have another bowl of Greek salad.

Dinner: Pan-fried minced beef in a bit of olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.

Slept from 5pm to 12am.

Breakfast?: Greek Salad with a generous helping of Greek yogurt (I'm all Greek today).

Went into work at 2pm.

Started getting hungry about 3am, had some minimally processed beef jerky on my break with a vitamin water.

End of Day: Thinking about eggplant pizza, or just polishing off what's left of the salad.

Overall Feelings: With the exception of the beef (it felt greasy and made me feel a little nauseous later-- if i make it again I'll use leaner meat), I felt proud of myself for making good food choices though I don't have much to choose from so far. I needed more sleep but I have a hard time allowing myself to sleep all day sometimes. I'm not used to being hungry so often though... is that normal when your main food group is vegetables? Must research.

No exercise to report today, though I do walk around a lot at work (move frequently at a slow pace even?) and lift things, though they probably aren't heavy enough to count. Tonight I'll work out on my lunch.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on finding - and starting - the PB!

Make sure to check in with us here if you run into any rough patches along the way. We love to help

Watch the sugar/sweetener levels in the vitamin water. You'd probably be better off with a bottle of water and a multi-vitamin. Also, if you're sleeping during the day and working at night, you won't be getting much sun. Make sure to take some Vitamin D... and a fish oil capsule or two wouldn't hurt either.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Congratulations on finding - and starting - the PB!

Make sure to check in with us here if you run into any rough patches along the way. We love to help

Watch the sugar/sweetener levels in the vitamin water. You'd probably be better off with a bottle of water and a multi-vitamin. Also, if you're sleeping during the day and working at night, you won't be getting much sun. Make sure to take some Vitamin D... and a fish oil capsule or two wouldn't hurt either.
    Vitamin D and fish oil, got it! I'll be more conscientious about my drinks now too, I didn't even check it yesterday when I drank it. :P

MaLink is offline Member
    DAY TWO: Tuesday August 9th, 2011.

~ Eggplant pizza with organic tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and blueberries

~ A bowl of Greek Salad with feta cheese and a small bowl of minced beef plain

~ Another salad and a side of Greek honey yogurt and 3 oz of grilled chicken

~ Beef jerky

~ Chicken and spinach salad from subway with ranch dressing (lunch at work)

~ Salad and yogurt and avocado with cherry tomatoes

Lots of meals! Wow. I can't figure out if I'm eating too much or eating too little or what. I had a hard time finding something to eat at work because I didn't bring a lunch from home.

Exercise: Moved frequently at a slow pace and lifted lots and lots of boxes ranging from three pounds to twenty pounds.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Another tip for you

Try to eat meals that are large enough to keep you full for 5-6 hours without needing a snack. If that means your meals are 200-300 cals more than you would normally eat, go for it.

I think that typically you'll burn more body fat the longer you can go without 'fuelling up'. Try to avoid thinking of the conventional wisdom that says you'll starve and wreck your metabolism if you don't eat every 2 hours. As if!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

MaLink is offline Member
    I'm not used to eating like this I guess. My meals used to be more compact but higher calorie I'm guessing, so maybe that's why I didn't have to eat as often.

Omg... my sister just walked in with McDonalds. I'm surprised that it smells gross to me! Fries used to make me drool.

Anyway, I'll try eating more at my meals. It's been pretty hard to know when I'm done, actually. Maybe I've been undershooting it. I'm a little afraid to get too many calories but that might be hard to do on a diet that's mostly vegetables?

MaLink is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DAY THREE - Wednesday August 10th, 2011.

~ Greek salad, avocado and tomatoes, yogurt when I got home from work

~ Eggplant Pizza, cottage cheese before I went to bed, with a few nuts

~ Greek Salad, chicken, yogurt, when I woke up

~ Jerky and honey yogurt on my break

~ small Cobb salad and pomegranate yogurt for lunch at work

~Lots of water!

Exercise: move frequently at a slow pace and the occasional heavy lifting.

Overall thoughts: I've been trying to eat more at my meals so I don't eat so often but I still feel like I'm eating way too much plus often. Something to keep working on I guess. I'm also drinking more water.