Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excessive carb refeeds.....really? page

Paleofan is offline Senior Member

Post Excessive carb refeeds.....really?

Primal Fuel
    There are several posts out there on using carb refeeds to lean out. I believe that some level of carbs are fine, but it seems like some people have moved in to an obsession about being lean and are not considering long term health.

I get the desire to lean out, but large and several days of carb loading, and even fasting seems close to obsessive behaviors found in other CW type diets. Mark's definitive guide to insulin should really ring some alarms for those that are carb loading. At some point, don't you care about your health more? Prolonged Insulin spikes, excess glucose = bad.

Have you taken care of someone elderly with diabetes? It slowly robs you of life. If so, this would scare you.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I somewhat agree with you. However, I think most people are being pretty smart about it. To my knowledge, most people here are using Leangains style, with a daily fast (8 hour eating window with 1-3 meals) and taking in the carbs post-workout. Your muscles are at their most insulin sensitive, and your glyocgen is depleted, so most of the carbs will go toward replinishing glycogen stores. And this is an acute insulin spike as opposed to a chronically high level as would be seen if you were eating 5-6 mini-meals thoughout the day with carbs at each meal.

Part of me still believes that high carb intake might be bad for long term health, but is that still true when they are used strategically as outlined above? I would think that something that leads to improved body composition would be a benefit for long term health, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's more healthy to just be fairly lean (as opposed to ripped) and follow a diet more in line with PB than it is to be ripped and rely on Leangains style eating.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Really could have kept this in the other thread.

Oh and ... Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark himself says "go for it, eat tons of potatoes" and says there's nothing wrong with doing this "once or twice a week" in fact, his only problem with doing it more often is "don't want to go without a nice ribeye more than 2-3 days or a week" can't say I blame him.

So, thread... over.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Part of me still believes that high carb intake might be bad for long term health, but is that still true when they are used strategically as outlined above? I would think that something that leads to improved body composition would be a benefit for long term health, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's more healthy to just be fairly lean (as opposed to ripped) and follow a diet more in line with PB than it is to be ripped and rely on Leangains style eating.
    Well sure, I thought it was general knowledge that being ripped = unhealthy, or at least, not ideal. The human body isn't too keen on having no body fat (stored energy) which is why it's so hard to get to those aesthetically pleasing levels. They're not in accordance with our basic needs as humans, we need to have body fat "in case shit"... I surely would rather get trapped under a boulder today, with 15ish lbs to use up, than a few months from now when I'll only have 5lbs (fingers crossed...) know what I mean? From a survival stand point, being very lean is undesirable. However the chances of such an occurrence where you'd need to rely on your body fat to survive aren't so likely. The problem we face as a society is most people have enough body fat to afford not eating for 2-3 months.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    one must also keep in mind that those who train heavily actually will feel better with higher carbs. I am one of those. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with carb feeding on primal carbs and that feeling better does = health.

In my opinion, and we have seen it here, those who train hard and stay low carb can stress their thyroid.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Speaking for myself, the carb loads that I do are relative to the fact that I'm pretty low carb usually. The amount of sweet potatoes or other primal carbs that I choose to up my carbs are still a lot less that your average grain eater would eat. A carb re-feed for a non-primal lifter could be something more like a pizza and that's not on for me. I don't think we're doing much harm if any with our primal carb re-feeds.

Incidentally, I use re-feeds more to replenish my glycogen and give me energy for working out and adding muscle than for getting lean. I can get lean with my carbs set to very low.

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    All great feedback. Thanks! Just hoping some don't read into these carb refeed posts and become obsessive. I feel great just being freed from any special dieting and just enjoy my food and freedom from hunger and sugar crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleofan View Post
    All great feedback. Thanks! Just hoping some don't read into these carb refeed posts and become obsessive. I feel great just being freed from any special dieting and just enjoy my food and freedom from hunger and sugar crashes.
    Noted, and I agree that obsessive behaviors are not usually good. It just so happens some people are just naturally more curious and like to tinker. I'm not really like that, so for me measuring, weighing and accounting for my meals feels like an unnecessary chore. It's easy, however, to just eat more potatoes and lean meats on days that I work out, and eat regular fatty proteins with lots of veggies any other time. I don't even have to think about it too much. I used to over-think the process all together, thinking you had to be super exact or fail, but that's not been my experience.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I don't find the threads excessive at all. I think there are 1-2? I find them very informative.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    I don't find the threads excessive at all. I think there are 1-2? I find them very informative.
    I do as well, but for a new person (and especially for someone who has a lot of fat to lose) it could be confusing/mis-leading. Especially when some people are using "non-primal" foods (like beans) to get their carb count higher. Also, some of those refeed days are NOT leangains style (Yodie) even though we would like them to be. Some are eating close to 3 or 400g of carbs in a day and lowering their fat, so they are spreading the insulin out over the whole day - or most of it. Which I think was Paleofan's main point.

This is all just experimentation and I am all for it. There is no perfect diet for everyone and once you get a handle on what does and doesn't work (in a general sense) then you can start to tinker. Just don't want someone that has had good success, but still has a way to go, thinking that they can speed it up by carb cycling. Most carb refeeds are to make your muscles fuller, thus giving the look of "tighter skin" and illusion of fat loss/leaning out. It does help with building/retaining muscle as well, but the sudden fat loss still needs proving, IMO. Bodybuilders do this before shows all the time. Well, that and sodium loading to help flush water. I use it sometimes myself when I feel run down.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast