Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off The Shelf Salad Dressing page

Grim is offline Member

Off The Shelf Salad Dressing

I cook breakfast while I prepare lunch and then cook dinner every night when I get home, so don't hate on me for not making my own dressing.

A lot of the Balsamic dressings have canoloa/soy in them, and whatever other nasities. Just trying to find something a little less frankenfood.

What do you guys like to use that's off the shelf?

I use Annie's when I'm in a pinch.... but really it takes maybe 2 mins to whip up great salad dressing.

Our Products

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Add oil. Add vinegar. Add salt. Add black pepper. Add oregano. Squeeze a lemon wedge. Mix. Done.

And that's if you wanna get fancy. Usually, I use 6 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    All over the counter dressings are crap pretty much. I do what Taco does. One that I like is EVVO and ACV with some blueberries mixed in.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Bragg is the only company I have found that makes a decent salad dressing. They have a few different varieties. http://www.bragg.com/products/vinaigrette.html

"Ingredients: Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, purified water, organic honey, organic garlic, Bragg Liquid Aminos, organic onion, organic black pepper, natural xanthan gum."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I mostly make my own, but otherwise, I buy it from a woman at my farmers market. You can mix up a batch every few days to save time, though, and then put it in a bottle in the fridge. The three minutes I took to blend up a raspberry balsamic vinaigrette the other day will last my partner and I through a week of salads.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Bottled dressings are for the most part a cop out.

Since when did a drizzle of olive oil and a splash of vinegar become too much work? Or melting a tad of bacon fat and mixing with avocado, berries etc?

There is NO excuse for soy oil period. Not even as 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Add oil. Add vinegar. Add salt. Add black pepper. Add oregano. Squeeze a lemon wedge. Mix. Done.

And that's if you wanna get fancy. Usually, I use 6 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
    There's endless variation to what herbs you can use. Tarragon is wonderful in dressings, if you have it. Marjoram, basil, dill, mint can all be used in whatever combination appeals.

I like to add a half teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and sometimes an egg yolk. The Dijon adds a nice zip, and the yolk makes it creamy.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    To the OP, check out Allrecipes.com - recipes, menus, meal ideas, food, and cooking tips. for salad dressing seasonings. Omit any of the bad stuff and go with it. Also I have found a ranch dressing seasoning mix recipe on that site. Instead of using mayo, I use 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1/2 sour cream and then thin it out with half and half. Works like a charm and the ranch dressing addicts in my house can't tell the difference.
    Georgette

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Zukay is great, albeit expensive.

Otherwise, here's a simple salad dressing:

4 parts olive oil
    1 part vinegar

I like extra virgin olive oil with apple cider vinegar, myself.

That's all you have to do. If you feel like it, you can add any of the following to taste: salt, pepper, cheese, egg yolk, honey, mustard, herbs, hot sauce, minced garlic, bitters, cream, coconut oil, palm oil, lemon or lime juice, chopped anchovies, capers . . . But none of that is necessary. Just the olive oil and vinegar will do.
    Last edited by maurile; 08-09-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast