Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipes for Primal Kids page

BodyByBacon is offline Junior Member

Recipes for Primal Kids

Primal Fuel
    Nearly a month ago I half-jokingly told my 12 year old son that I'd give him a $100 bill if he would go Primal for one month. To my surprise not only did he jump at the offer, but my 8 year old daughter did, too! They have been nearly 100% Primal despite being with their junk-eating friends, birthday parties, etc. I'm so proud of them!

The kids have each said that they plan to keep eating Primally after the challenge is over and I'm thinking ahead to the start of the school year and breakfasts/lunchboxes, etc. If you have any kid-friendly recipes you'd like to share, it would be greatly appreciated! I will share some of my successful recipes here also.

My biggest challenges for the school year are: 1) my daughter 'hates' eggs and doesn't really enjoy bacon. 2) my son rarely wants breakfast and the mom in me feels like I should force him to eat before school.

I should add that while I don't 'do' dairy and very little fruit, my kids do. The rules for the kids are simple: no grains, no sugars, no processed foods.

Ideas?

~Heidi
    Last edited by BodyByBacon; 08-08-2011 at 07:21 PM.

maybelline is offline Junior Member
    I'm jealous! I'm pretty sure that no amount of money would make my kids (10 and 13) go primal. (Although now that i think of it, my oldest could do a 100% meat diet for a while -- total carnivore! It's the vegetables and fruit that are the problem) I'll be watching this thread, though, as I am always looking for something they might be willing to eat. As an aside, I have heard good things about the cookbook Everyday Paleo and am thinking of buying it.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    What a great idea! I may use this to eliminate the complaining for bread that goes on in my house. Of course, the amount that I think I can get away with giving will be about half that, thankfully.

My kids are much younger, so I have more control over their food choices right now. Packing paleo lunches should be a snap. Meat roll-ups (meat wrapped around veggies and/or cheese with a toothpick to hold it together), almond butter and apples, broth with veggies when it's colder out, meatballs made with pork rinds in a primal tomato sauce, basically anything they can eat with toothpicks is cool right now. My kids are in kindergarten and 1st grade. My oldest daughter loves cooked (not raw) carrots, so leftover chicken from dinner and carrots is always a hit. They're also quite fond of celery with almond butter or raw veggies (which can work for breakfast, too, if your kids are so inclined).

I have the exact problem you have. My kindergartener hates eggs. Paleo Banana Bread is a breakfast hit, as are paleo smoothies. Since she's such a skinny thing, I don't have a problem with serving my kindergartener a breakfast of strawberries and blueberries while her sister chows down on scrambled eggs.

Who says the meat you serve at breakfast has to be pork? As long as your daughter is okay with it, offer her chicken, turkey or beef.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

I agree; packing lunches is pretty easy. Last year I got into the habit of sending leftover suppers. Not only did the kids love it, you should have heard the constant fawning over the lunches by teachers and aides. You'd think they had never seen home cooked food before! LOL

Bacon isn't that important but I do want to invent some egg dishes the kids will eat since we have 30 hens and need to eat a heckuva lot of eggs to keep up with production! Am thinking of doing a scramble with blueberries thrown in and either some xylitol or a drizzle of real maple syrup (which I can reduce over time once my girl has made peace with the idea of eating eggs).

Have been thinking of getting a Magic Bullet blender for breakfast smoothies, maybe I'll do that before September.

I know that current conventional wisdom says kids need breakfast, but wonder if my son's instinct to fast until lunch is actually healthy. He is smart and energetic, maybe I should just go with the ebb and flow of his hunger.

mamagault is offline Member
    I think you're right. Lunches are fairly easy, especially compared to breakfast.

Some ideas:

Smoothies
    Noatmeal
    Paleo banana bread/muffins (check out wellnessmama.com's Apple muffins - they sound tasty)
    yogurt served with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and a ton of nuts, some berries or other fruit

Also, not trying to advertise for wellnessmama.com, but she has a couple of cool ideas on breakfasts that aren't the traditional "egg plus pork" - like a paleo breakfast sandwich, crustless quiche (which would help you keep up with your girls' production), and oven omelet. I'm almost wondering if you could paleo-tize a puff pancake? The basic recipe (for a 9x13 pan) is 8 eggs, 2 c each flour and milk. I think almond meal might be too grainy for the recipe, but I'm wondering about coconut flour or arrowroot powder, since they're finer.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyByBacon View Post
    ... I do want to invent some egg dishes the kids will eat since we have 30 hens and need to eat a heckuva lot of eggs to keep up with production!
    Open-faced omelettes. These turn up in several cuisines, frittata, tortilla ("Spanish omelette"), etc. They're eminently transportable when cold. Put a tablespoonful of a fat of your choice in a heavy-based frying pan, sweat a selection of vegetables in it, then add some lightly beaten eggs—say three. (You can also strew over some grated cheese). You turn down the heat really low and leave it to cook gently, then put it under a grill to cook on top. It should turn out of the pan easily enough and can be cut in wedges. Stuff like onion, garlic, pepper, courgettes, and tomatoes are good. The Spanish put peas and cold potatoes in—you could substitute sweet potato.

I know that current conventional wisdom says kids need breakfast, but wonder if my son's instinct to fast until lunch is actually healthy. He is smart and energetic, maybe I should just go with the ebb and flow of his hunger.
    With adults the concern would be that his bodyclock may be out of sync. It's said you should be hungry when you wake up—providing you got enough proper sleep, which many people don't. But I guess children usually do go to bed at the right time—unlike most adults. Is his room dark enough?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Here's a quick little recipe for 3 primal pancakes:

1 banana
    2 eggs
    1 tbsp ground almonds
    1 tbsp flax meal
    1 tbsp almond butter

Fry these up in some butter then drizzle honey or maple syrup on top. Would be great with blueberries too.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato pancakes

Mash a cold sweet potato
    add eggs and coconut/almond flour until it has a thick consistency. I also throw in some cinnamon
    Fry in coconut oil

Really calorie dense for these fast moving kids.

Other paleo ideas:

I will roast a whole pan of chicken legs. The kids eat them cold or hot.

Soup is a big staple. I will also do meatballs, tomato sauce, and rice (if you let your kids have rice).

How about a primal colcannon, with mashed potato, ham, sauteed cabbage? Add a bit of nutmeg for flavor.

Thank you for all the great ideas and recipes! I will start going through the list and trying these out. We are just back from four days camping at the beach and I am thrilled to be back home so we can clean up our eating! S'mores around a campfire are great but they really make a body feel disgusting!

No, son's room definitely is not dark enough. I will work on remedying that asap. Also he stays up way too late at night during the summer and I know it messes with his body clock. Time to get back to school and onto a more reasonable schedule.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    I make these muffins fairly often. Even my non-primal niece and nephew love them! These are sent in the kids' lunches as their dessert instead of other crap. I know you mentioned no sugar and you may include maple syrup/honey in that, it's possible you'll find them sweet enough without it. I find 1 tbsp per 12 muffins an acceptable amount

1/2 cup organic coconut flour

6 eggs

2 ripe bananas (mashed)

2 Tbsp. melted butter and 2 Tbsp. melted coconut oil (or 4 Tbsp of either)

1 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup

1 tsp. aluminum free baking powder

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/8 tsp. sea salt (none if you're using salted butter)

1 cup shaved dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips or another fruit, blueberries are awesome!

Preheat oven to 350, blend wet ingredients together. Blend in dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate. Fill 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20. Batter is more like cake batter, don't be alarmed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast