Thread: Suddenly sensitive to dairy page

ar0e is offline Member

Suddenly sensitive to dairy

Primal Fuel
    This is the third day in a row that I have 'cheated' by putting a splash of half & half in my coffee, and coincidentally it's also the third day that I have had a queasy feeling in my stomach and had many a trip to the restroom (if you know what I mean). I tend to eat dairy like the occasional tablespoon of sour cream or light sprinkle of cheese on my salad maybe 4 times a week tops. I really like my coffee with a little cream, would it be worth trying heavy whipping cream instead of half & half? I usually make coffee at home with coconut milk, but I'm traveling this week and have to resort to starbucks, so my options are more limited.
    Last edited by ar0e; 08-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    How is this ironic? Do you mean coincidental?
    Anyway, obvious answer: if it doesn't make you feel good then don't eat it. Be an adult and drink your coffee black.

ar0e is offline Member
    Sorry I should have worded my post more clearly, I have only been using coconut milk in my coffee for about a week, before that it was always half & half. I guess my question is why would half and half suddenly make me feel ill, but not sour cream or cheese?

I don't waaaaaanna be an adult and drink black coffee!

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    Sorry I should have worded my post more clearly, I have only been using coconut milk in my coffee for about a week, before that it was always half & half. I guess my question is why would half and half suddenly make me feel ill, but not sour cream or cheese?

I don't waaaaaanna be an adult and drink black coffee!
    hehehe. You get used to it!
    I suppose it's possible that:
    1) You have a very mild stomach upset and the half and half thing is just a coincidence. Dairy products are also one of those foods that can be irritating when you're sick, even if you tolerate them normally. Transient lactose intolerance happens sometimes after gastrointestinal illnesses.
    2) Your milk is slightly off (but that's unlikely since it's pretty obvious when milk spoils)

Also, fermented dairy products (sour cream, cheese, yogurt) are different than milk since they are much lower in lactose. The fermentation process gets rid of most of it. That's why some people can eat cheese even if they are lactose intolerant and drinking milk makes them feel sick. So if you're wondering why half and half produces a reaction but cheese/sour cream don't, there's your answer.

Knarf is offline Junior Member
    Try a 30-day elimination, perhaps there is some kind of contamination @ starbucks (a bit unlikely) but if you're used to making coffee at home...

ar0e is offline Member
    Thanks everyone for all the help, I'll have to try to skipping the half & half and see how it goes. I had no idea that yogurt and cheese had less lactose than other dairy products!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member