Thread: Help for coworker just diagnosed with diabetes. page

Silky is offline Senior Member

Help for coworker just diagnosed with diabetes.

A coworker that I get on well with has just been diagnosed with diabetes in the last week. Sadly the NHS peddle the whole get 300g of "healthy whole grains and carbs" per day rubbish.

What is the best way to introduce someone to primal?
    Last edited by Silky; 08-08-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

mrsallaway is offline Junior Member
    I think it's best to see if this person is open to help or suggestions. I think that a lot of people, when they're diagnosed with a disease (I'm type 2), find a lot of well-meaning but completely contradictory information comes their way and it can be frustrating. For example, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, a lot of people told her to stop eating all sugars because sugar feeds cancer and to stop all red meat. Her oncologist told her to eat what ever she darn well wanted because at that late stage of the game she was going to need any and all calories she could get into her....and believe me it was a challenge. Ironically, her last meal was a little chocolate truffle our cousin had given her.

You might share your own experience with how going primal has helped you or those you know. Try working into a conversation. If this person is receptive, you could then offer to help them out. And if they're not receptive now, they may be down the road. Like I said above, a lot of well meaning people offer advice and it's enough to drive a person nuts and overload your already overloaded emotions.

Best of luck to your co-worker.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsallaway View Post
    I think it's best to see if this person is open to help or suggestions. I think that a lot of people, when they're diagnosed with a disease (I'm type 2), find a lot of well-meaning but completely contradictory information comes their way and it can be frustrating. For example, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, a lot of people told her to stop eating all sugars because sugar feeds cancer and to stop all red meat. Her oncologist told her to eat what ever she darn well wanted because at that late stage of the game she was going to need any and all calories she could get into her....and believe me it was a challenge. Ironically, her last meal was a little chocolate truffle our cousin had given her.

You might share your own experience with how going primal has helped you or those you know. Try working into a conversation. If this person is receptive, you could then offer to help them out. And if they're not receptive now, they may be down the road. Like I said above, a lot of well meaning people offer advice and it's enough to drive a person nuts and overload your already overloaded emotions.

Best of luck to your co-worker.
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    You know the person better than any of us. That being said, if I found out someone had a cure and didn't tell me, I'd be pissed. (I'm assuming it's T2, primal will treat, but not cure T1, but will cure T2 in most cases.)

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    Just a day ago, I was telling some of my co-workers about my weekend. My boyfriend had booked a nice restaurant and made sure they had grass fed steaks, but forgot to mention my other dietary habits. So I was explain how the staff was really nice and changed things for me etc. One of my co-workers began to tell me how my diet is so unhealthy, a calorie is a calorie, sugar is sugar there aren't different kinds. Sugar isn't bad for you etc. And how I should eat large carb and sugar meals on the weekend if I don't eat them during the week.

I was like, "I don't think calorie is just a calorie and if you are interested I can site you some studies, books, and websites on way I think this way." Her response was; "I took some classes on nutrition, a calorie is a calorie, and no I am not interested."

I just said "ok", and end of conversation. I guess its an example about how even the most well meaning conversation about good restaurant service can turn into something really awkward when it involves saying something against someones else personal food beliefs. So just be careful. I wasn't even trying to sell them on primal living.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you are close enough to her, you could just tell her you know of several type 2 diabetics who follow the same crazy diet that you do that have had amazing success. Giving an example of success seems to be less intimidating than telling someone what they should do. Then you can send her info if she wants it.

brandibangs is offline Member
    I'm kind of new at this. I was diagnosed with type 2 in June. Following the primal loosely before finding this site, I've lost 21lbs AND my sugars have returned to normal. Maybe you can mention something like this?

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I don't know if this article would help - it came out in the UK press today. Whilst I recognise that it's not advocating Primal, it might well be a good start, especially the comments!

Could the Atkins diet help you keep diabetes at bay? | Mail Online

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Besides PB (obvious), also google Dr Mark Hyman. He just did an article on reversing type 2 with diet also.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys. Great advice