Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice about IF page

skunkcabbagebandit is offline Junior Member

Seeking advice about IF

Shop Now
    I am just beginning my primal jourey. Just a few weeks in. I am finding it very easy and I don't really have to think about food. Shopping is easy too. Produce section, meat section, spices. Done! I am eating very little fruit and getting most of my carbs from non-starch vegetables.

I decided that also, this time I am not focusing on weight loss but rather expect that to come from being healthy. I am walking every day and enjoying it. I am also weight training. I am making my focus on getting strong and I'm lifting as heavily as I can within 6-8 reps. Each time I get stinger I will add a bit more weight. I am really enjoying it.

Being that I am also enjoying hunger control, I would like to try Intermittent Fasting. I plan on eating within a 10 hour window and getting all that I need. I like the idea becasue it will allow me to be a bit of a hedonist so long as my choices are primal friendly. I also like that I would be able to eat in the evening when I naturally feel like it anyway. I've never been a big early morning eater. I would like to fast until noon each day.

I find however, that I prefer to train in the morning before my kids wake up and after a nice walk and stretch to wake up my muscles. I have also read that the best time to eat is right AFTER a training session. This would require me to break my fast earlier. Or would it? Could I continue the fast and still gain muscle and recover well or would it be best to eat? Also, I am wondering if one can IF indefinately or only for periods after which they must continue to eat as usual. I am currently 151 lbs down from 156 lbs. I am 28. Female.

I am completely new to weight training, IF and Primal. Thanks for reading.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i wouldnt put a whole lot of thought into it really. just eat when you are hungry and dont when you arent. if some day you are starving theres no point of doing an IF. if you arent hungry after a workout dont eat

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i wouldnt put a whole lot of thought into it really. just eat when you are hungry and dont when you arent. if some day you are starving theres no point of doing an IF. if you arent hungry after a workout dont eat
    This.

For many months I would workout in the early morning and eat around 1pm. As the seasons changed I found I wanted to exercise in the late afternoon (after breaking my fast at 1pm still) and then eat soon after that workout.

Basically, no matter when I'm training, I usually eat once at 1pm then again around 7pm. Precise nutrition around workouts isn't really all that important.

Note, however, that when I'm doing a carb re-feed (a subject you need not concern yourself with in your personal life, but you may want to read up on for the future possibly) then I will purposely work out later in the day so that I can eat relatively soon after my workout.

I hope that helps...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Intermittent fasting seems to work best when everything else (food, sleep, stress, etc) is dialed in and you are trying to lose the last 10-15 pounds. I won't say it won't work, but if you don't have everything in line it may not work.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    I'd say go for it. I had amazing results with IF and paleo combined. I would get up in the morning, weight train and continue my fast till dinner time. I felt great and got stronger(meaning no muscle loss) and I'm not a beginner with weight training. Beginners get results faster up to a point with weight training. So go for it. If IF stresses you out or you are getting weaker with the weights then stop. Eat after you workout and IF on non-training days. Good luck!

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I have been IFing daily for over a year now and I don't see myself changing that any time in the foreseeable future. I usually eat twice a day and I workout twice a day. My meals are more or less lunch and dinner and I workout fasted in the morning and then gain fasted before lunch. Personally, I think that meal timing in relation to one's workouts really only becomes important when you're at elite athletic performance levels. For most people I think as long as your schedule works for you then do it.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I really like IF but its also a stressor. Over-exercising, stressing out, too low calorie for long stretches, too much caffeine adds to the stress. Just make sure everything is all dialed in properly.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I really like IF but its also a stressor. Over-exercising, stressing out, too low calorie for long stretches, too much caffeine adds to the stress. Just make sure everything is all dialed in properly.
    How many days IF'ing, resulting it being a stressor, are you talking about here?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I have been IFing daily for over a year now and I don't see myself changing that any time in the foreseeable future. I usually eat twice a day and I workout twice a day. My meals are more or less lunch and dinner and I workout fasted in the morning and then gain fasted before lunch. Personally, I think that meal timing in relation to one's workouts really only becomes important when you're at elite athletic performance levels. For most people I think as long as your schedule works for you then do it.
    What does your twice a day workout look like?

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    What does your twice a day workout look like?
    It's mostly all weight training and looks something like this. I throw some bag work in from time to time as well.

Mon Abs and Chest
    Tues Overhead Press and Deads
    Wed Arms (bi's and tri's) various exercises
    Thurs Abs and Chest again (I like chest workouts)
    Fri Weighted Pull ups/Chins and Squats

Each session runs about fifteen minutes give or take and I've been doing anti-pyramids as apposed to pyramids like I usually do for a month or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast