Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What works for me..hope it helps page

crepitte Guest

Primal Fuel

Thought I would post what worked best for me, maybe it could be of use to someone. I'm 5'9 34yoa/m 170lbs 5-6%bf. Over the last few months gained about 10lbs of muscle, although I've been lifting weights since age 17. Gained the muscle on only about 1700-1900 cals per day (so it can definitely be done on restricted calories without a "bulk" phase). I keep track of my diet on fitday with about 10-15% carbs and no more than 120 grams of protein per day. I have one protein drink per day post workout, afterward I fast for 16 hours (and 24 hrs once or twice per week)and have one very large meal of greens,nuts,eggs and fish (I don't eat meat)before bed. Once a week I usually end up having some sort of high calorie high carb blowout although I can lean back out after 4 or so days of low carbs. If I don't have a blowout, I can maintain the lean-ness on about 150 grams of carbs per day and 2200 or so calories. My workouts consist of tabata sprints (no more than 4 minutes per day)walking and weightlifting 4 days per week. Last week I deadlifted 385lbs for 6 reps and squatted 350lbs for 10 reps and then a burnout of 315lbs for 20 reps. I am not naturally a super-lean or muscular person, or genetic wonder, but this worked out perfectly for me. I hope this may help someone in some way. If anyone is interested, over time I discovered something interesting about the amount of protein consumption I actually needed vs. what I was taking in.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

~120 grams of protein

~150 grams of carbs

~2500 calories

~1 meal per day

That's what I'm doing. Not much different from your routine! Thank you! You're a great motivation.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

crepitte Guest

Hey Raphael, I rarely do the 150g of carbs per day as I prefer fat fuels, and I rarely go over 1900 calories per day. I was just saying that I could maintain low bf levels, but only if I don&#39;t have a carb type blowout once per week. If I do, I go back down to 1700-1900 cals and about 70 grams of carbs for 4-5 days until I&#39;m back in the 5-6%bf range and drop all the excess water retention. If I chose to have the carb-calorie bomb, 2500 calories and 150 grams of carbs would be too much for me to lean back out. I hope this helps as that was my goal, not to use the forum as a platform for my "one size fits all" master program, this just worked best for me after years of experimenting.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Very impressive. No pain....gain.

crepitte, I see. I rarely have one of those "carb-bombs" though - at least not as a routine. My diet is just a constant 75-150 grams of carbs (less when I&#39;m inactive, more on my lifting days).

I&#39;m nowhere near your level, but you&#39;re a nice example to follow.

How did you get down to such low body fat? I&#39;m struggling to break my 12% plateau... HIIT?

crepitte Guest

For me, there are a couple of ways. The quickest, to go from say 10%bf to 6%bf, would be a 3 day water only fast. I&#39;ve done this many,many times and every time it has worked. The slower route would be to drop both my calories and carbs very low. Calories to around 1200 per day and carbs to only 50-60 gram (and only from vegetables and nuts with no fruit or sugar). This along with the 16 hour daily fast and maybe 24 hrs one or two of the days, for about one week. I would continue to do the sprints, walking and weight training during this period. This has worked every time too.

crepitte Guest

By the way, there&#39;s a boatload of "scientific" research I found on my journey that explains my experience, but I don&#39;t really have any desire to rehash it all in order to prove a point or convert folks to my line of thinking.

I know, I believe you, fasting does wonders... thanks a lot

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Nice lifts for your size. That;s awesome.

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Wow, you&#39;re almost a foot taller than me and your intake is not much more than what I eat. I read your comment on another thread too and I&#39;m interested in what you say. The one thing that&#39;s been on my mind the last few weeks is the amount of protein I eat. I&#39;m 5&#39;0", 120 lb and eat about 70g or protein and upto 50-60g of carbs on a typical day. I don&#39;t work out all that much, but have recently started to. When I lower the amount of protein to around 45-50g, I don&#39;t feel satiated, even if increase the fats. I&#39;m interested in hearing about the timing of training and eating. I understand it may not work for me but would like to experiment to see what will make me lose the weight I gained after turning Primal. I&#39;m female and my bf is around 28%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast