Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my body in Ketosis ?? page

wehey is offline Member

Is my body in Ketosis ??

Primal Fuel
    Hiya all,
    I have been primal for about 2 months now and have been keeping my carbs between 50 and 100g per day.
    Two weeks ago my partner came home with flu/virus type symptoms and a few days later it seemed like i was catching her bug..........
    Ever since then i have been feeling terrible and hardly able to function at work and as i am self employed this is a big issue.
    Just by coincidence i came across a primal blog and started reading up on Ketosis. The author stated that some people can suffer from the following side effects: fatigue, weakness, confusion, dizziness, irritability, a rapid heartbeat, anxiety, sweating, trembling, hunger.........now this is pretty much what i am experiencing, to such an extent that i could just curl up and sleep all day.
    Do you think this could be happening to me or am i suffering from a never ending virus that my body cant shift?
    Any help would be appreciated

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis in a Low-Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple

Read both of these posts I doubt its ketosis. There are people who develop flu like symptoms for awhile after going low carb from really high carb but ....that would have been earlier. If you've been primal for 2 months that shouldn't be the issue. That being said I'm not sure why you would be suffering from the flu for that long. Actually I've never had the flu so maybe that isn't exceptionally long?
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 08-08-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Those symptoms usually occur as your body is transitioning to using fat as a fuel source. This transition can take anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks, depending on your body and how much carbohydrate you eat. It's not likely that it's kicking in after two months.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Those symptoms usually occur as your body is transitioning to using fat as a fuel source. This transition can take anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks, depending on your body and how much carbohydrate you eat. It's not likely that it's kicking in after two months.
    Unless said person wasn't 100% Primal, and just now started to really cut out carbs?

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    Unless said person wasn't 100% Primal, and just now started to really cut out carbs?
    You could have a point here because I have only been focussing on low carbs for approx the last month

wehey is offline Member
    Also I have noticed that my urine has been smelling really strong and has a distinctive odour...... Am i right I saying that this is a sign of ketosis??

On a side note I have just eaten a high carb/cal meal for the first time in a month and I fell pretty damn good right now

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wehey View Post
    Also I have noticed that my urine has been smelling really strong and has a distinctive odour...... Am i right I saying that this is a sign of ketosis??
    Is it possible you haven't been drinking enough water?

wehey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy2078 View Post
    Is it possible you haven't been drinking enough water?
    No chance. I am always careful that i drink enough. Most days it's 2litres easily

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Read both of these posts I doubt its ketosis. There are people who develop flu like symptoms for awhile after going low carb from really high carb but ....that would have been earlier. If you've been primal for 2 months that shouldn't be the issue.
    The first time I ketoadapted it took 8 weeks. Eight hellish, headachey, fluish, dizzy, body-achy weeks. It was awful.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well even if it can lasts 2 months I think he said he didn't feel any flu like symptoms till after 2 months....if your body were going to go nuts on you because of the change to primal I would think it would have happened at the start of the 2 months not the end. Ketosis is said to produce a strong smell of acetone I think.

There are things I've heard of called Ketostix you can buy to test your self for Ketosis. You could very well be in Ketosis though I'm still not sure it would be that causing your flu like symptoms. I don't know I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast