Thread: My Journey to a more healther me MichaelUK page

MichaelUK is offline Junior Member

My Journey to a more healther me MichaelUK

Shop Now
    Hi everyone

Little background, 40 Year old Male and diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic since April 2010.
    Well i was looking around the internet again for help with my diabetes and weight loss when i came across MDA and thought to myself what the heck give it a go what you got to lose(hopefully lose a few stone and a couple of pebbles and get my diabetes under control, and maybe get off the meds the doctor has me on at moment.)

Been following the NHS guidelines for diabetics and this is to eat between 200 -300 grams of carbs and eat low fat. this was not working for me at all.

Started Monday 01/08/2011 weight 289 pounds
    Body Measurements in inches
    Neck 17
    Bicep 12.5
    Forearm 12.2
    Chest 52
    Waist 56
    Hips 46
    Thigh 23
    Calf 17.5

Bodyfat aint got a clue(can anyone help me with this, if you know a way of calculating with the above measurements)
    BMI 46.6

current exercise is Monday - Friday one hour walking to and from work after dropping car off outside the city centre. Need to start adding in the core workouts from the Primal book.

average daily breakdown for the first week.
    Fat 99 grams
    Carbs 67 grams
    Protein 123
    cals 1656

quick question i have not had any nuts due to not sure which is the best, must reread the book again lol.

Trying to keep my fats and protein up high and my carbs between 50-100 for the weight loss.
    But i am not sure if the cals are abit low. I do not feel hungury most of the time but i do get the odd craving for bacon butties with loads of daddies brown sauce doh.

Weight loss after first week is 13.75 lbs(08/08/2011) which i am more then happy with but know this is not going to continue.

I am aiming to lose this weight in stages first goal is 3 stones by Christmas 2011 i think this is a realistic goal. The after that each goal will be 2 stones until i get to a level i am happy with.

Any ways i thought i would pop on and introduce myself and get my journal start, i hope you will keep me company on my journey to a more healther me.

Michael

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! You're off to a great start.

And nuts aren't necessary. Treat them like a treat and keep to just a few pieces once in a while. Macadamias & pistachios are nice. Almonds, walnuts and pecans are ok too. Just avoid peanuts.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Hi michael. Congrats on your first week. 13lb! Wow that is fantastic

I agree with you about nhs guidelines. I have a colleague that has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He's being told to 'bulk up his diet with potatoes and bread' D'oh! 300g carbs for a diabetic is ridiculous!

Good news, You can have bacon on this diet and even a smudging of brown sauce too. (i've noticed my use of condiments has gone way down). The bacon is the best bit of a bacon sarni. I mean really you wouldn't eat dry white bread on its own.

Just keep experimenting and tweaking till you find what is optimal for you.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Agreed. If you're willing to cut out the bread but want a little HP sauce on the side (and the itsy bit of sugar in there won't spike cravings in most people) count it as a bit of your 20%. However, if the sugar will push you over the edge, maybe look at making a primal substitute for your favourite condiment.

My favourite saying from the PB "don't let perfect be the enemy of good".
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Silky & Belinda

I guess you are right about the small amount of brown sauce, alittle is part of the 20% when i am not eating primal which is very little at the moment.

Breakfast today was.
    100 grams of organic blueberries and one 200gram pot of full fat greek style yogurt.

Dinner was.
    Tinned Mackrel with a mediterranean style salad.

Tea was.
    4 rashers of bacon, 3 eggs, mushrooms and half a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Snacks two nectarines but i may have to rethink them due to being 16 grams of crabs in each.

Still drinking cups of tea had about 6 today with full fat milk, maye need to cut them back alittle as time goes on.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I use berries and yoghurt as my treat meal at the end of the day rTher than for breakfast. I start every day with protein and fat as I find it more satisfying and keeps me full. Hope your salad at lunch was a big-ass one

Oh and i her you on the tea. That's my one weakness!
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

I start my day with protein and fat too (eggs & bacon or sausage usually). End my day with frozen berries and coconut milk after dinner

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Hi everyone

Round two started on 3/1/2012, totally failed the first time around, but my diabetes is getting worse and my doctor is warning of an increase in meds so i have got to give this another try, i am going to do it this time i can not afford to carry on the way i am, i am just killing mmyself with each mouthful of food i am eating.

Well here to round two i think i need to spend more time on each for support because i will not get any from family until i prove this is working and then it will be very little as they are all on CW diet.

Not told anyone at work to avoid the crap i got last time around about how bad this type of eating is.

Any way enough moaning next weigh in on Tuesday so hopefully will have got off to a good start.