Thread: Protein confusion...lbs or kgs formula? page

Brit is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hello all. I've stumbled on to some confusing info. I've read that the daily protein consumption (for "upkeep") should be between 0.7-1g per KG. I've seen the same for LBS. Well...these are two totally different numbers...one being about twice as much (or less).

Can anyone shed some light? Also, is it based on total weight or lean mass?

What about if I'm weight training to add a little mass?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

As a grueling search here, and elsewhere, will reveal protein intake is all over the ball park. Some seem to be based on body weight, which obviously some of us are packing on more than is ideal.

Personally, I believe it should be based on LBM. As to the amount, there is strong consensus if .5 to 1 gram per pound of LBM. The lower end seems to be in line, roughly, with the USDA suggestions. The upper end is probably appropriate for athletes in training and body builders.

crepitte Guest

Hey Brit, I'll share something I stumbled onto. I use to consume a lot of protein (gram or more per pound of bodyweight) along with weightlifting, crossfitting, etc. About two years ago, I began working in the prison system. There were hundreds of guys in prison who lifted weights, etc. most of whom were much more muscular and in shape than most any guy at the gym I go to. None of these guys had access to protein shakes or any substantial amounts of protein sources. In fact,none of whom I spoke with had any means of consuming much more than about 80 grams per day, yet these guys looked like pro athletes, bodybuilders, etc. After observing this, I conducted an experiment and limited my protein intake to about 100-120 grams per day (sometimes less) and only after a workout and in a very large evening meal. I hit the weights hard and added about 10 lbs of lean muscle in a few months (and I had been lifting weights for many,many years). I realized that for me,it didn't seem to be about the amount of protein I was taking in daily, but rather the timing of it. My body seemed to make more efficient use of the protein immediately following a workout and just before bed. Prior to this, I was having 4-6 meals per day, more protein, more calories, but yet my body didn't seem to use either in an efficient way. Having made those changes along with some intermittent fasting, it is the only way in which I have ever had the ability to lose bodyfat and gain muscle at the same time. So again, for me, it was not about the amount of protein or calories consumed, it was about the timing.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

@creppite: Great observation! I love it when reality trumps CW.

Yet, one significant point was missed, as I see it. The prisoners have no control over when they ate. So, maybe timing has helped you a bunch, but maybe still isn't so essential.