Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep interruption kicking my recovery's ass! page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Sleep interruption kicking my recovery's ass!

I posted a thread a while ago about poor sleep and waking up, well it's been spits and spurts, but I keep waking up. Out of extreme spite, I have gone out and purchased a black out blind so hopefully this will help matters.

My issues are waking up *for no reason* and other times *getting up for a whiz*. I have taken to not drinking near bedtime, and not allowing any caffeine in the evening. I have flux for my monitors and laptops, but normally bed time is preceeded by a calming warm shower and relaxation by candle light.

I gym it 3x on the weights and I have had a weekend to 'rest' but on the monday I still feel tired and DOMs'y! I can imagine this being related to me waking up 1-2 times a night. I've been primal for a month now (Strictly primal, have been primal for a long time, but naughty on weekends!).

Another user suggested ear plugs (yep, even the wildlife wake us up), I may resort to it!!

Hopefully the blackout blind and eye mask will help me out, but it's driving me insane.

*no links to the blog post about early morning wakeups *

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Do you sup with D3 and Mg?

Nope

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'd give it a try- statistically you're likely to be low on both, and they help my sleep quite a bit, especially sleeping through the night.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium is great for sleep - I use Mg oil but a lot of my friends swear by NaturalCalm before bed.

You should also really consider getting rid of caffeine completely. Even one cup of regular coffee in the morning can disrupt sleep for some people. Switching to decaf helped my sleep a lot- but I sleep better when I have NO coffee or caffeine at all.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Check into Natural Calm. It's been brought up several times here, and a number of board members are on it, including myself. I'm out like a light when I take it and don't even wake up to pee anymore. It's highly bioavailable magnesium. (Only 2% of magnesium citrate is absorbed.) Someone here said (but I can't confirm) that it's the only supplement Robb Wolf takes. A lot of the heavy lifters love it because it really relaxes their muscles. Wolf used to have a helluva time with sleep, so check his site/podcast on the topic. There's a book he recommends; I think (?) it's called Lights Out.

Here's this from Wolf's site:
    Category: Sleep
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever noticed that you have a sleep apnea or sleep disorder? I experience catathrenia and it really messes up my sleep sometimes. This also leads to my having often to pee at night.

Catathrenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it can help a lot to learn good sleep posture. This will open the chest allowing full breathing and take pressure off the spine for more comfortable sleeping.

How to Improve Your Sleep Posture | Mark's Daily Apple

I also recommend magnesium supplementation. My Naturopath recommended looking into the deep setting sun every evening as a way to stimulate the pineal gland. This is supposed to help with sleep. Also, adaptogen teas are supposed to be good.

Interesting. Would Magnesium supp capsules help?

Bought some Natural Calm, for 20 for a possible remedy, I am NOT complaining. Look forward to receiving!
    Last edited by Bolivar; 08-09-2011 at 04:24 AM.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    What has been a *huge* help to me (in addition to Natural Calm) is Phosphatidyl Serine (sold as Seriphos). It's a natural supplement recommended to me by my naturopath. It's sold over the counter. My sleep suffered for my entire adult life - I'd wake up to pee and would be awake for hours. The seriphos keeps me asleep or, if I do need to get up, lets me fall right back to sleep. Highly, highly recommend.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Got my Natural calm (magnesium supreme) in the post today, looking forward to trying it out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast