Thread: Grape Leaves page

thedeliberates is offline Junior Member

Grape Leaves

Shop Now
    Makes about 24 Leaves

Ingredients:
    1/2lb Kafta (or any ground meat)
    1/3 cauliflower grated into rice (about 1/3 lb)
    1.5 oz sprouted and dehydrated sunflower seeds
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    cayenne pepper
    parsley
    raw salt or sea salt
    about 50 grape leaves (I pick concord grapes from empty over grown fields and can them, best in early July here in Ohio)

Rice the cauliflower and mix with meat. Grate the onion and garlic and squeeze off the juice, adding the pulp to the mix. Add sunflower seeds, cayenne, parsley, and salt.
    Wrap up grape leaves using about 2 per wrap depending on size.
    Cook in steamer or in 1 inch of water in a cast iron skillet with a little added olive oil if desired.
    Cook as little as possible (about 10 minutes) to just cook the meat and not over cook the cauliflower.
    Serve with thick full fat Kefir or regular yogurt slightly mixed with olive oil and coarse ground black pepper.
    Enjoy!

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    WOW! I just found my grape leaves and was wondering how the heck I was going to do this. Question: When you grate the cauliflower into rice, is the cauliflower cooked?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Oh my gosh, I'm so excited about this! I absolutely love greek stuffed grape leaves.

thedeliberates is offline Junior Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    WOW! I just found my grape leaves and was wondering how the heck I was going to do this. Question: When you grate the cauliflower into rice, is the cauliflower cooked?
    It's still raw cauliflower, you just grate it with a cheese grater or a food processor. When you cook it for that 10 minutes the cauliflower is cooked but still firm and the meat holds it all together. I like to make a oatmeal substitute with cauliflower as well. Also forgot to mention, when harvesting raw grape leaves it's best to first prepare:

Add salt to water until it tastes like the sea. Boil. Dip grape leaves in water and leave for 30 seconds. Immediately give an ice water bath and drain in a separate bowl. Repeat until all leaves are soft, boiling in small batches so as not to lower water temperature too much. I like to can all my leaves in mason jars for the year. If canning, roll leaves into cigars of 10 and place in mason jars covered in the hot salted water. Can according to regular canning guidelines.