Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH Sleep Trouble and Restless Legs page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

DH Sleep Trouble and Restless Legs

Primal Fuel
    Okay, I need help. I personally sleep fine....usually. But lately my husbands restless legs and twitching through the night is making it tough.

Background. So husband has trouble sleeping in general for years. Trouble falling asleep, and then waking through the night multiple times. He also will wake himself up sometimes with jerky legs or movements.

Room is super dark, we removed the TV a few years ago, we don't even read in bed anymore. No caffeine except maybe a small amount in the AM several times a week. These changes all helped for awhile, but eventually he returns to his poor sleep pattern.

He has been about 50-60% primal for the last couple of years, but right now he is currently 100% primal at 50g of carbs or under and we are trying the 'leptin reset' methods for him. This seems to have INCREASED his sleeping problems.

So he tried melatonin alone, that helped a couple nights but that was it. We tried extra magnesium, but his stomach is a bit off with the 100% primal for the last 2 weeks so he cannot take much of that. Last night he tried a melatonin valerian root combo and OMG........while he slept (I don't know how), it was like he was in a fight all night long. He did not stop moving for hours on end. That could not have been restful sleep!

This area of problems is new for me, any suggestions? I really think his sleep troubles are the main reason why he has stubborn weight the last couple years.

(side note, supplements he takes are Vit D, Fish Oil, and a glucosamine/msm combo)

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Has he got restless leg syndrome? Maybe it's too low carb for him?

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    My answer has been Natural Calm. It's been a godsend because RLS is misery. My legs are quiet and I'm out like a light. I don't even get up to pee.

But didn't you say that y'all have tried it and you didn't like it?

A stop-gap measure I accidentally discovered just to get through the freaking night: Take a shower before bed. Something about the hot water on the legs makes them settle down.

Wishing him well. I watch your vlog all the time so I feel like I know him (and, of course, the kittehs! Dexter's face cracks me up.)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Has he got restless leg syndrome? Maybe it's too low carb for him?
    I don't know if he officially has RLS or not. He has no issues during the day, no need to move his legs or odd sensations. Its just at night he gets 'jerky' movements mostly of the legs sometimes. Sleeping with him for years, the pattern usually runs as follows: his breaths start to get slower and slower like he is dozing off, and then inevitably he jerks himself to some level of awareness. Repeat every 60-120 seconds. Sometimes he sleeps through the pattern, sometimes he doesn't.

Low carb or high carb, he is about the same movement wise. Usually the higher the stress or the more activity he does during the day, the more likely he will start kicking and twitching at night.

His sleep issues are not always the jerky movements, most of the time he just cannot go to sleep. Since going low carb the last two weeks his main problem has been just not being able to sleep. The movements kicked into high gear last night I think with one of the sleep aid herbs he took.

canio6 Guest
    Yeah, restless legs syndrome is the suck. I have it because God has a sense of humor and I refused to believe such a lame ass condition existed. It was something along the lines of, "RLS? Please, more made up shit." About a year later...bam. Yes, Kharma is a biatch. That said, if diet or natural cures do not work (I have read if you put a bar of soap in a pillow case and put it down by your feet you don't twitch...see why I thought this crap was made up?) try Ropinirole. It is a drug with all the lovely side effects etc but it works for me and so far (3 years later) no side effects.

I've been so desperate I have tried the Ivory soap in the bed. ::: hangs head :::

Doesn't work.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Has he tried magnesium in the evening?

The weird thing is, you never heard of this RLS shit until about 10 years ago. Then, all of a sudden, a bunch of people have it when nobody had it in the '70s or '80s. WTH?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Sleeping with him for years, the pattern usually runs as follows: his breaths start to get slower and slower like he is dozing off, and then inevitably he jerks himself to some level of awareness. Repeat every 60-120 seconds. Sometimes he sleeps through the pattern, sometimes he doesn't.
    This sounds like sleep apnea. Has he been tested at a sleep clinic?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    The weird thing is, you never heard of this RLS shit until about 10 years ago. Then, all of a sudden, a bunch of people have it when nobody had it in the '70s or '80s. WTH?
    Exactly. It is that way with a bunch of these 'disorders' you see on TV. It all seems like voodu to me. We aren't happy unless we manufacture some illness or other. I hear things like the soap trick and think, 'there is no way in hell this is real' and then I got it. GRRR. and yeah, I tried the soap thing too. No need to hang your head. RLS sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast