Thread: Are Butter/Lima beans a bad bean? page

ironhead Guest

I've been doing the primal thing going on my second week now. I feel much better and think I've lost some weight cuz my clothes are a little looser and my wedding band is too ( don't have a scale). I'm not measuring anything but are pretty sure I get less than 50 carbs a day. I am trying to get my wife to do this with me but she hasn't seen results yet so maybe later on. Anyway, our schedules conflict and I'm trying to cook suppers that are in line with the blueprint. I was wondering if lima beans and butter beans are OK. I am reading Primal Blueprint but don't have much time so I'm not very far into it. Is there a list in it of veggies that are ok or not ok?

Thanks a lot

Ironhead

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Beans, no.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

uh no... not so fast OTB.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/beans-legumes-carbs/

you could do better without them, but they're not THAT bad.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I love beans. They were harder to give up than anything wheat or sugar. And once in awhile I have a bit.

But generally, I think my response is appropriate.

chazglen is offline Junior Member

But it&#39;s all relative. Even though I am (relatively) an ignorant gentile regarding the science of food and its effect of the science of the body, I&#39;m coming to realize that there are different levels? types? intensities? of carbohydrates. Tim Ferris, in his blog, talks about "slow carbohydrates" and has, as one element of his diet, lentils and refried beans. I am imagining that lima beans falls (barely) into this category and COULD be regarded as allowable... carefully... delicately... not as a staple but still allowable... especially if you are exercising a lot.

Lately, I&#39;ve been wondering about the "intensity effect" of different levels carbohydrates on the pancreas.

For example: if I eat 2 chocolate truffles, is that like a killer punch to the pancreas and it reacts with a killer punch of insulin? And if I eat a half cup of lentils does that allow for a more gentle surge of insulin?

I remember a few years back joining an over 50 baseball league. First time up to bat I smacked a single but my adrenaline told my body I could move faster than my muscles were capable of. The first step snapped a muscle in my right thigh; the second step snapped a muscle in my left. I was out of the game the rest of the day.

Maybe a 60 year old pancreas (or any pancreas?) needs to be treated more gently? The slower the carb, the gentler its effect on the pancreas, the longer it can do its job and not tax the other organs with the radical and poisonous spikes of insulin. Just thinking out loud here.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I&#39;ve been wondering about green beans. I love them, and they&#39;ve always been one of my favorite veggies. Any thoughts?

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

green beans are awesome!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The problem with limas and beans generally isn&#39;t so much the carbs as the lectins.

Unlike Mark and some other, I think green beans are fine. First of all, the amount of "bean" vs. green husk is very, very small. Second, the bean is edible uncooked, let alone cooked. I would suspect it&#39;s negative effects on the body are non-existent.