Thread: coconut aminos or Tamari? page

datto54 is offline Member

coconut aminos or Tamari?

Hi all, im wondering if any one could shed some light on why, if at all, I should change from using tamari to using coconut aminos?

the tamari is use is gluten free obviously but is also organic and im just not sure if i need to change it up, all advice and experiences welcome

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    For me, avoiding soy is really important (have a soy intolerant kid) so that's why I choose coconut aminos. (Most primals want to avoid soy ftmp too.) BUT I think even in soy avoidant circles (wapf, primal--although NOT whole30 or paleo), gluten free soy sauce aka tamari is pretty much accepted in very small quantities. I go out of my way for the aminos b/c of my soy intolerant son--they work just as well, and I honestly don't use them that much, so its not been a big deal. I can get them at a local supermarket which makes it a lot easier for me as well. Just my perspective on this!

HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I think in small quantities if you are okay with soy Tamari is fine.

I myself actually cannot handle the coconut aminos. I couldn't find them locally, ordered a couple bottles online, and was disappointed to find out my stomach just did not like them. Even just a very small amount for dipping sashimi makes it upset. I like the flavor, its different but good. I don't know if this is normal, I went back to tamari and don't have any obvious problems with that.

datto54 is offline Member
    Thanks! it does help, I think ill stick with it in the short term and look at sourcing aminos - just gotta find a supplier in australia

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by datto54 View Post
    Hi all, im wondering if any one could shed some light on why, if at all, I should change from using tamari to using coconut aminos?

the tamari is use is gluten free obviously but is also organic and im just not sure if i need to change it up, all advice and experiences welcome
    Don't know coconut aminos. I'd be wary of using much Tamari if you've got hypothyroidism. Soy's dirty secret is that it's one of the most toxic "food plants" on the planet. People in the Far East eventually discovered that lengthy fermentation (up to three years) will deal with most of the problematic compounds in it. (Makes you think again about all those non-fermented soy products agribusiness and the supermarkets have gaily put on the shelves.) Anyway, an exception are the goitrogens—those are still a problem even after fermentation. Hence if you know you have thyroid issues perhaps not—or only a very little occasionally.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    why would you need to source aminos? there are plenty in meat and animal products.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    why would you need to source aminos? there are plenty in meat and animal products.
    It's a seasoning that tastes similar to soy sauce. I don't believe it's being taken generally as a nutritional supplement.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coconut Aminos

Sub for soy sauce--not a supp.

Interesting observations Meadow! I'm going to watch out to make sure my son is ok w/ them. I have rarely used them.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco