Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First barefoot run compeleted :))) page

saarx1 is offline Senior Member

First barefoot run compeleted :)))

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hi guys.. after having a pretty serious knee injury few months ago and reading shit load of stuff about barefoot running since then, last night my doctor finally told me i can start run barefoot.
    i just came back from the first barefoot run
    been pretty excited but i think it went good.
    i didnt feel any pain at all in my soles but i realy felt my calves.. they felt realy hard and stiff i hope that normal (?)
    i planned on doing 5 minutes run but i stopped at 4 because of my calves, didnt want to push them too much too soon.
    i started the run pretty fast because thats what i did when i ran with shoes but i calmed myself down after few meters.
    i think il do 3 minutes tomorow.

im pretty happy

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Yes, your calves are where you will feel it while you adjust. Just make sure you don't strand/over-commit yourself while starting out.

I'm not a runner, but I was fairly well adjusted after two weeks (enough so that I could go hiking etc). All I did was to wear them whenever possible and walk around during breaks at work.
    Last edited by jhc; 08-07-2011 at 09:40 PM.

im running barefoot but with vibram of any other minimalist shoes.
    and all my life ive always been barefoot alot while in my home so i guess im kinda used to walking barefoot.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    It'll take a while, but your calves will get used to absorbing all that impact, and then there will be no stopping you.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I have (finally) started to jog fully barefoot. I'm doing short barefoot runs after my sprints (which I do in Feiyue's, a minimalist sneaker, without socks) I'm barefoot at work also, so I get a lot of barefoot walking in my day which is helping to condition the bottom of my feet. It feels really good.

I can feel the difference between my fully barefoot stride and my "minimalist" stride. You take a lot more chances when there's ANY protection. So, you may want to go at it fully barefoot sometimes, just be easy with it until your soles get used to it.

i misstyped (is that a word).. i go compeletely barefoot, no vibram or any other minimalist shoes.

ErikaE is offline Member
    I second what jhc said, your calves is where you will feel it as you adjust. Start out slow and with short runs, work up to faster and longer, you'll be fine, some discomfort along the way is normal. Just be sure that you're not having heel pain -- if you're heel striking in VFFs you're in big trouble. Make sure that your stride in VFFs is a little shorter than it would be in conventional althetic shoes, and that you are landing on your mid-/fore-foot.

Actually, I've been running short distances (1-2.5 miles or so) and doing most of my day-to-day walking in my VFF's for over 6 months now, and still, when I wore them on a 4.5 mile hike this Saturday....well, I'm still a little sore today, and it is all in my calves. I'm sure my calf muscles do a lot more work on those rocky, steep surfaces than they do on the sidewalks and flat gravel I'm usually on. I did actually bring a pair of backup conventional hiking shoes, but didn't feel at the time that I needed to switch to them. So it's definitely a normal thing, to feel it right there.

Edited to add: as a sidenote since you mentioned knee injury, I had zero knee pain on and after the hike, which I struggled with before I got into VFFs. I still haven't talked my husband into the idea of toe shoes, so he was hiking in conventional shoes, and he had considerable knee pain towards the end of the hike and the following day, something he doesn't normally struggle with like I used to. And for what it's worth, slightly achy/stretched calves feel a lot better and healthier than joint pain ever did.
    Last edited by ErikaE; 08-08-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

kristiashley is offline Senior Member
    I love the calf workout you get from barefoot hiking and walking. I've been hiking in my VFF and Merrill barefoot shoes for about a year now but haven't done any HIIT yet. Going to do that on Wednesday. Any tips from those who have been there?

hey guys.
    i just woke up now and the part in in the leg that connects the sole to the leg itself (seriously have no idea what it called i hope u undestand what i mean) hurt alot.
    and i dont know if i should go for a run today or not.

ErikaE is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saarx1 View Post
    hey guys.
    i just woke up now and the part in in the leg that connects the sole to the leg itself (seriously have no idea what it called i hope u undestand what i mean) hurt alot.
    and i dont know if i should go for a run today or not.
    Are you talking about your Achilles tendon? ---> http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/ga...flammation.jpg

If so, it's because the VFFs don't have a padded heel the way most athletic shoes do and that tendon has to stretch a bit to adjust. Either way, don't go for a run if you're already in pain. Pain is communication - your body is telling you it needs a break to repair. It seriously takes most people a couple of weeks to slowly work up to running or walking for as long as, or as frequently as, they do in "normal" shoes. Don't rush.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast