Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FDA: Gluten-free is not for fad dieters! page

Grok is offline Senior Member

FDA: Gluten-free is not for fad dieters!

Primal Fuel
    "Eating gluten-free is not meant to be a diet craze," says Rhonda Kane, a registered dietitian and consumer safety officer at FDA. "It's a medical necessity for those who have celiac disease. There are no nutritional advantages for a person not sensitive to gluten to be on a gluten-free diet. Those who are not sensitive to gluten have more flexibility and can choose from a greater variety of foods to achieve a balanced diet."
    FDA says "gluten-free" is not for fad dieters - The Checkup - The Washington Post

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I think everything she's saying is true... it's just that it neglects to recognize that many people are sensitive to gluten without have celiac disease, and without recognizing it. I don't think anyone will argue that most primal dieters have more leeway with eating the occasional wheat-containing soy sauce than someone who actually has celiac disease does, even if they are not purposely Primal.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes it's what isn't said that makes all the difference.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    This is more in reaction to everybody and their mom buying gluten-free brownie mix and whatnot because it's "healthier."

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I would argue that gluten-free brownie mix IS healthier than regular brownie mix and is a small step in the right direction.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

teamommy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I would argue that gluten-free brownie mix IS healthier than regular brownie mix and is a small step in the right direction.
    Agree 100% ! I always marvel at friends who say their child's stomach bloat faded or their own intestinal pain subsided when the family went gluten free. It is a step in the right direction.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I've ever met anyone who went gluten free and didn't feel better. And I've known a LOT of people who went gluten free....

I agree that gluten-free is a step in the right direction. American's are also starting to get the message abut refined sugars too. We're aiming to raise awareness in the community about primal eating. We have alot of gluten-free customers and they like us because we use much less sweetener than other gluten-free bakeries. We provide them all with info about the primal/paleo lifestyle.

The White Lion

it also doesn't hurt that many celebrities are going gluten-free. We can build on this momentum.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    *shrug* It depends on what you mean by "healthier," I suppose. I know a lot of commercial mixes use very high-carb substitutes, and they certainly still contain refined sugar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast