Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FDA: Gluten-free is not for fad dieters! page 2

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    By "healthier" I mean without gluten, as opposed to with gluten.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I would argue that gluten-free brownie mix IS healthier than regular brownie mix and is a small step in the right direction.
    Agreed, but shouldn't the focus rather be on not eating brownies all the time (gluten-free or not)?

This reminds me of a UK TV-show I saw (Supersize vs Superskinny). In this one episode there was a very obese woman who was eating at a "soul food" buffet with her family, and after helping herself to the third or fourth gigantic portion of crappy food, she got a comment from her family for using too much salt!. After all, salt is unhealthy... (They didn't even seem to notice the fact that she ate 3-4 times the normal serving size in food). It was like they were thinking "oh, if you would only stop having so much salt on your food you would be thin and healthy in no time."

Sometimes, I feels like people apply the same logic to gluten/gluten free food.
    Last edited by norak; 08-09-2011 at 02:55 AM.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Ditto. I remember looking through a local Organic store one time for some decent cocoa powder. I found a "healthy diet" gluten free cookie that the lady behind the counter told me was "good and good for you" as I read the label. Produced with god-knows-what oil, each oreo sized cookie had 2g of <i>trans fats</i>.

The woman behind the counter was at least 270+ lb. and not that tall.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Agreed, but shouldn't the focus rather be on not eating brownies all the time (gluten-free or not)?

This reminds me of a UK TV-show I saw (Supersize vs Superskinny). In this one episode there was a very obese woman who was eating at a "soul food" buffet with her family, and after helping herself to the third or fourth gigantic portion of crappy food, she got a comment from her family for using too much salt!. After all, salt is unhealthy... (They didn't even seem to notice the fact that she ate 3-4 times the normal serving size in food). It was like they were thinking "oh, if you would only stop having so much salt on your food you would be thin and healthy in no time."

Sometimes, I feels like people apply the same logic to gluten/gluten free food.
    Exactly. Really, is a bowl of Quaker Oats Maple Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal any healthier than a Wonder Bread/Skippy/Smucker's pb&j?

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    Gluten free eaters simply aren't going to be eating as many carbs as those who don't eat gluten free. It's really hard to do so. And instant Quaker Oats aren't gluten free, along with most commercially processed grain-based foods. Plus, the gluten free mixes are way more expensive. So to some extent the logic does hold that it would be healthier.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    "Health benefit" labels create a health halo. You feel better about eating a gluten-free brownie than a regular brownie, so it becomes easier to justify each additional brownie. Same thing with Subway. People think that Subway is healthier than McDonalds, so they shove a footlong sandwhich down their mouth without batting an eye.

Not talking about Primal people here, even though we are guilty of the health halo at times. I know I wouldn't feel as bad about stealing away a spoonful, or six, of all natural almond butter compared to JIF. I shouldn't be doing it at all, but I find little things to justify it to myself.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Those who are not sensitive to gluten have more flexibility and can choose from a greater variety of foods to achieve a balanced diet.
    I'm wracking my brain to come up with anything that contains gluten which would help me improve my nutrition. Now if by "balance" she means getting as much carbohydrate as the USDA and its farmer friends think I should get, well then she may have a point.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    What the hell - can you all not distinguish between "healthier" and "super healthy"?
    Gluten free cookies are healthier than non-gluten free cookies, and some / many people who go gluten free, changing nothing else, may experience dramatic health benefits. Sheesh.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Gluten free cookies are healthier than non-gluten free cookies, and some / many people who go gluten free, changing nothing else, may experience dramatic health benefits. Sheesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBanshee
    Gluten free eaters simply aren't going to be eating as many carbs as those who don't eat gluten free.
    [citation needed]

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    What the hell - can you all not distinguish between "healthier" and "super healthy"?
    Some people seem to have trouble with the idea of "all else equal" when drawing comparisons. I know, it annoys me too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast