Thread: Does Primal Diet thin Blood? page

Lando is offline Junior Member

Does Primal Diet thin Blood?

Occasionally I get very bad nose bleeds. A cold spray about 10 years ago deteriorated my septum into nothingness, leaving an irreparable gaping hole that bleeds when the air is particularly dry.

Anyway, this morning I had by far the worst bleed I've ever had. The bleeding simply would spigot right out if I released any pressure on my nose.

My wife (a conventionally-trained nutritionist) and an uncle (a brilliant medical doctor) both suspect my new primal diet may be a culprit for bleeding that's worse than usual.

I know that Omega 3 has a blood thinning component and that the primal lifestyle tends to be anti-inflammatory... but could they be right? Or is my body simply still adjusting since I'm only in my 3rd-4th week?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lando; 08-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely. This is generally a good thing as it helps prevent events associated with vascular diseases - heart attacks and strokes. Inflammation and thrombosis go hand in hand. Maybe back off any fish oil supplementation in favour of just eating fish (I eat canned sardines and mackerel)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin K will help improve clotting, maybe check into whether you're getting enough or if it might help.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Chanteuse is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yup -- vitamin K in dark leafy greens and other foods will help counteract bleeding. I had to be on blood thinners for 8 months, and wasn't allowed any dark leafy greens because of the risk of blood clots (this was after a pulmonary embolism).