Thread: Having Second Thoughts on Primal Nutrition.. page

trtennis17 is offline Junior Member

Having Second Thoughts on Primal Nutrition..

Shop Now
    I am a competitive tennis player who also does conditioning work (like P90X) and i've known this website since summer 2010 and its been on and off with eating primal. But recently when i just started back with strict primal, i felt very drained during a tennis practice and not sure what to do with nutrition wise. Maybe its just me hearing various things that are not primal and thinking its better for me. I really want to eat primal but with compromises. Since i usually have some type of workout in the morning and afternoon, do you think primal is still the way to go? I am not lactose intolerant but i do feel the after effects of when consuming grains.

How do you as an athlete, continue eating primal without any bonks or feelings of no energy?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just eat more carbs than most, as Mark himself recommends - eat starchy foods (potatoes, etc.) or white rice a couple of times per day.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trtennis17 View Post
    How do you as an athlete, continue eating primal without any bonks or feelings of no energy?
    You have to become fully keto adapted.

Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Ketogenic diets and physical performance
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
    Why Snacking Makes You Weak, Not Just Fat - GNOLLS.ORG

JTWolflied is offline Member
    Just sounds to me like you're not eating enough carbs. You can eat plenty of carbs and still be primal. And since you fit the active athlete disclaimer that Mark put into his work, you should be eating plenty of carbs. It's not a low carb diet, it just helps people that need to lose body fat if they go that route.
    http://www.getmoneyout.com

Start: March 2011
    Start Weight: 245 lbs.
    Current Weight (November 2011): 208.4 lbs. and counting.
    Goal weight: 195 lbs.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the carbs. 150g is quite a lot, and it's not the end of the world if you go over as long as you're burning it off. Just try to get them from safe starches, sweet potatoes, potatoes, rice, etc. Some fruit is OK, but stay away from juice.

Gordo

pbe28 is offline Junior Member
    i dont know what level you play at, but i play for a D1 college and its pretty intense as far as our training goes. i go about 95% paleo. the only time ill eat some grains is right before i have an intense training session ( or maybe some ort of gel..gu or something ), also sometimes when our team travels, i dont have the best food access. otherwise, its all fruit, veggies, and meat. I make sure and eat a lot of fruits to compensate for the carbs lost from grains.

trtennis17 is offline Junior Member
    Okay thanks for the all the advice. So should my fat intake be higher or lower than my carb intake? Around 50g?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Just eat more carbs than most, as Mark himself recommends - eat starchy foods (potatoes, etc.) or white rice a couple of times per day.
    Yup. Just avoid gluten, o6, and excess fructose and you'll be peachy.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trtennis17 View Post
    Okay thanks for the all the advice. So should my fat intake be higher or lower than my carb intake? Around 50g?
    If you are healthy and young, don't worry about the amount of fat or protein - just eat the amounts you'd like to eat, as long as you stick to real foods.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTWolflied View Post
    Just sounds to me like you're not eating enough carbs. You can eat plenty of carbs and still be primal. And since you fit the active athlete disclaimer that Mark put into his work, you should be eating plenty of carbs. It's not a low carb diet, it just helps people that need to lose body fat if they go that route.
    A-freaking-men!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates