Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu page

flick is offline Junior Member

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi I have been on here awhile, but I don't post much. I was just curious to see how many other jiu jitsu guys and girls we had and how it fits into primal. I generally count it as "play" but sometimes, especially when we roll a lot in class I think it may fall within the realm of chronic cardio considering I m training 5-6 days a week.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if its a chronic cardio thing. I just started training but only go up to five times a week because I do yoga and also like to lift and sprint etc.

flick is offline Junior Member
    I just know that regardless of what I categorize it as, it is way too much fun to stop even if it is chronic cardio. Where did you start training iniQuity? I am at Marcelo Garcia's in nyc

Clockwork on 14th st. Fun so far.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    I started BJJ last September, so it's almost been a year now. I just fell in love with the sport. It got me in a better shape than ever (I was pretty fit before starting it, but it's a whole other level now) and I gained a lot of agility and confidence. There's also something about the sport, it's just so... animal. It doesn't get more primal than this for me (sorry Mark, frisbee doesn't cut it against BJJ) and it's just pure fun. The whole ''playing chess with your body'' aspect is also very interesting. The last thing I love about it is that it seems to draw a certain type of people I love to hang out with. My coach is a black belt but he also collects Transformers and is a huge geek overall, and the same seems to apply to many of the guys I train with*. Geeks who can choke you 15 different ways with their legs, times sure are changing hehe. So far, all the tough guys who wanted to muscle through people quit because their ego couldn't handle getting tapped five times in a row by guys 20lbs lighter than them. All the ones who stay are humble and mentally tough as nails.

Health-wise, I do think it falls in the chronic cardio range once in a while for me, especially with the 2 hours long sparring courses (only once a week, but still). I have to be really careful with my food and my rest periods because I easily overstress my body, especially if I do other sports at the same time (BJJ + soccer = really bad). Still, my athletic abilities improved so much I totally think it's worth it.

*That's probably why I've been able to convince many of them to try paleo eating lately

There's something about that sport... I will be doing it for a couple more years, that's sure!

Yeah I find BJJ so far really appeals to my nature. I'm a calm dude, but I'm fascinated with the concept of "less is more" so the other day I was rolling with a dude that's been doing BJJ for a few years and he was very gentle in his approach. I got (from having done muay thai) that he was baiting me, waiting for me to do something to exploit that. I played along (otherwise we would have both done nothing, as he was just lying in wait) but I thought it was so interesting and efficient the way he could do a quick hip movement and trap my legs, turn me on my side and begin to work for better position. I love that shit. When I spar muay thai I take a similar approach, I will throw a couple of things expecting a certain response which I can then exploit, thus conserving my energy, etc etc.

People that look at these things and see it as just fighting or whatever are misguided. This stuff is very cerebral. This isn't to say there aren't pure knuckleheads out there.

Nethru is offline Member
    I consider BJJ my medium/high intensity day whenever I do it depending what we are doing that day and how long we are rolling.
    ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

davem is offline Senior Member
    I've always thought it looked like a lot of fun. If I can hit my weight goal in Dec. (Or come near it) I want to give it a shot.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Judoman is offline Member
    I have done Judo/BJJ/submission wrestling. No, BJJ is not chronic cardio. If I may, Marks comment about chronic cardio is more about 2 to 4+ hrs of low, slow, running or cycling, daily. Not rolling, conserving your energy till you squeeze a choke or slam a quick arm/ leg bar. My practices often went 2 hrs. or more. Some was slow, some was explosive, none was like a 4 hr. run at a slow, steady state. Keep rolling, love it , have fun, stay humble, your learning a cool thing.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I've always thought it looked like a lot of fun. If I can hit my weight goal in Dec. (Or come near it) I want to give it a shot.
    It will probably help that purpose, so if you wanted to give it a try sooner I don't see why not. I trained for a short while at a different gym and there was a pretty large dude there that was a blue belt I believe and rolled around just as well as anybody else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast