Thread: Unbelievably awesome braised cabbage page

milodaisy is offline Junior Member

Unbelievably awesome braised cabbage

Primal Fuel
    All I had in the fridge tonight was half a white cabbage, a couple of slices of smoked bacon, some homemade chicken stock and a chicken quarter. This is what I did and it was, quite frankly, the best meal I have made in an age. Have at it people - it is awesome.

Start by sprinkling tandoori spice over chicken quarter and roast.

Meanwhile,
    Slice cabbage thin and steam for a few mins.
    Fry chopped bacon until crispy and then add a teaspoon or of coconut oil.
    Add steamed cabbage and chicken stock - however much feels right to you.
    Season with ground black pepper, salt and a teaspoon or so of ground cloves.
    Cover and simmer until cabbage is soft.

Serve when chicken is done, skin is crispy and the smell of cloves has you singing christmas carols under your breath.

Enjoy.

(Also works with brussel sprouts or any other cabbage type veg - outrageously delicious).

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I love cabbage! Nice recipe. Here is my favorite cabbage recipe, from someone on this blog, I can't remember who, but I'm addicted to it--I'm not kidding.
    Kenyan Curried Cabbage
    Ingredients
    • 6 cups Cabbage, Raw
    • 1/4 medium Onion, Sweet
    • 2 tbsp Carrott
    • 1/2 cup Cream
    • 2 tbsp Butter
    • 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
    • 1 tsp Curry Powder
    Directions
    In dutch oven or large skillet, saute chopped onion and grated carrot in coconut or other oil and butter; add sliced cabbage (about a medium head), when reduced to soft texture, add cream and curry, a bit of salt & black pepper if desired (make sure your curry powder is not salty). Reduce to simmer for 5-10min. Serve with curried lamb, beef, or chicken. Or a side any time you want a bit of zing to enliven a meal. This is a big favorite in my house. Use less curry if you don't like heat or have a hotter brand of curry powder; curry powders vary a great deal.
    Nutrition Facts
    4 Servings - Serving Size: 1 cup
    Amount per Serving
    Calories 224
    Calories from Fat 189.8
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 21.09g/32%
    Saturated Fat 3.51g/17%
    Cholesterol 15mg/5%
    Sodium 77.31mg/3%
    Total Carbohydrate 10.12g/3%
    Dietary Fiber 3.58g/14%
    Sugars 4.85g
    Protein 1.7g/3%
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)