Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Wild Game Meat page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Colorado Wild Game Meat

Primal Fuel
    Depending on how things pan out, we 'may' have some extra wild game later in the season that will need a home (Late Sept-Dec). I wanted to have a couple interested folks on a list now, seeing as if it becomes available it would be on short notice.

Game would be deer and maybe some ducks or pheasant later in the season. Rabbits are a possibility if someone was interested.

Pick up would be in Castle Rock, CO....and I would probably only have 24-72 hours notice for pick up.

The meat will of course be free, but would still need to be processed to some degree. If you are adventurous you could do all the processing yourself at no cost (that is what we do). Or you could find a local processor to finish it up.

If you live in CO and have a desire for wild game meat, please toss me a private message with your email and I will send out additional info.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Happy hunting!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Why are people killing animals if it's too much to eat and needs to be given away?

Wally_B_Sr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Why are people killing animals if it's too much to eat and needs to be given away?
    while I am not the OP I am a hunter and can answer that. A deer is a large animal as is a moose, elk, etc.

When I hunt I keep some of the meat for myself and give the rest away to friends and family so nothing goes to waste.

This is all the OP is doing. Why not give some meat away to nice people on this forum as none of it will be wasted that way.

When Grok hunted and took down big game did he eat it all or share some with his tribe?

The only way I can get wild game meat is to hunt it so I do, nothing is wasted when I give it away

Well, if I don't have a home for the meat, we won't hunt it.....Period. Normally we give away any extra (some years we have none), to a couple of friends and some family. One friend moved away, one had twins and doesn't want to deal with it, my grandparents who used to take some are getting up there in age (90 and late 80's) and cannot take as much as they used to, and another hunter friend of ours has a situation where if he hunts at all he has no place to store it. Again, if either hunter, my husband or this friend, had no place to distribute the meat, then they would not hunt.

We also have a lot more hunts lined up this year then normal and a good chance for an elk which really fills up our freezer. Our state has draw tags that he puts in for every year and he drew out for a lot more then expected. The husband was going to cancel some of his plans in light of this, I told him let me see if I could find back up in case we end up with too much.

Lastly, there are some things I frankly get tired of preparing. I can only eat so much duck and pheasant myself. I got so tired of cleaning birds last year it was ridiculous. We did not have anything go to waste, but this year I want a break. We have bird dogs that LIVE for bird season.....so I would like to still be able to send my husband and his dogs out into the field to de-stress and stretch their legs.

We have never had any meat go to waste......I love giving out extra meat to friends and family. If I can help out the primal community then all the better.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Because it can be given away. American hunters give lots of meat to food closets. American conservation was invented by men (and some women) carrying guns, men like Theodore Roosevelt. Or, I should say reinvented since American Indians had invented it here. (Note: I am not a hunter. It just wasn't something my family had gotten into.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Maybe you could look to see if a food bank would accept wild game. I remember reading about some hunters donating their meat to some food banks, but I don't remember where that was. I also Googled, and this seems to be fairly common.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I'm just used to eating what is killed. I grew up in the forest and we hunted in winters to put food on the table - we didn't hunt to overabundance. We didn't kill to let off steam, for fun or to have family bonding. Then again, the largest(and only) things we hunted were black tailed deer - and we had 3 freezers to put it in. lol

It just seems odd to take lives for the fun of it - even if you can find someone who will take the meat afterward. My cousin loves to duck hunt. He eats the meat - but he and his wife do it often, because shooting the birds is "really fun". I think there's something twisted there (with him specifically). A definite lack of respect for life.

I have a friend who loves to dive for abalone(legally). He's tired of the meat and he's been giving me his extras. I appreciate it and LOVE the meat - but there is the part of me that thinks the animals(even if they are just sea snails) shouldn't be killed just because the hunter feels like going through the motions.

If someone NEEDS the food, it's different. I dunno, just my tired ramblings, I guess.

Though, I do suppose it would be a bit like asking if anyone needs anything before heading to the store. You're picking up some meat anyway - why not pick some up for them too. LoL

Well, just to clarify.....being outdoors in the mountain and woods is how my husband recovers from 60 hour weeks in a cubicle....not 'killing' something. He spends MOST of his time not hunting for us, but helping others actually. Just the act of being outdoors, watching animals, and giving to others is recovery for him. He scouts for friends and family, he helps them backpack in to places, teaches them everything he knows, whatever they need. He takes out his friend's children who want to learn how to hunt when the parents don't have the time or know how. He is a VERY giving person of his time and energy to others.

From September until December he will be gone almost every single weekend with most of that not for hunting for us. He LOVES being outdoors. During the offseason he is hiking, scouting, and researching. Hunting is his passion, but I guess our definition of 'hunting' goes FAR beyond the taking of an animal. He spends hours every week as president on a volunteer animal conservation board.......helping to raise funds for disease research, animal studies, transplantation, and balancing of herds throughout the state. He has to get political to protect land and hunter rights when the state legislature tries to change laws or slide budget changes through (meeting with state lawmakers is not much fun). He is constantly meeting with the division of wildlife in our state to plan the use of funds, meeting with biologists and forestry workers to find out what is happening, changing, and what needs to be done. You have no idea how far the term 'hunting' goes in our house.

So I sent out this post because we might have one extra deer and maybe a dozen extra ducks. That is not much in the scheme of things....and frankly, if we did not harvest that deer, someone would be filling their freezer with a quarter cow instead. Its going to come from somewhere.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Meadow, thanks for posting this. I am interested. However, I am supposed to be traveling for work in that time frame, so I will probably have to work something out with my bro-in-law to come and get it if you have it.
    I will PM you my info.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast