Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not eating much-is this a problem?

Not eating much-is this a problem?

Shop Now
    Hello,

I started to eat PB a week ago. I had cut out wheat for a month or so before this. I have had periods of nausea and my appetite is much smaller since beginning PB. Yesterday I only ate about 700 calories. I was eating a lot of nuts but I have cut that back in case it is causing my problems. My energy levels seem good and I have been sleeping about 6 hours per night without waking up-this is an improvement. I have lost two pounds this week!

Here is more info about me:
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight before I cut out wheat in June:196
    Weight when I started PB:186
    CW:184
    Female

Has anyone else experienced this nausea or lack of appetite?
    Thanks!

Sometimes my calorie count is low. If your not hungry, feeling good and losing a safe amount of weight. I don't see it as a problem.

What is a typical day's food? Are you getting enough fat?

Is you goal to lose weight, gin muscle or both?

It is very common for your appetite to cycle between non-existent and voracious when eating primal - especially in the beginning. Don't worry - in a week or two your hunger will return and then you'll be worried you are overeating!

If it persists more than a week or two check to make sure you are getting enough zinc - but I wouldn't worry right now.

Until yesterday I was averaging about 1200-1400 calories per day. My goal is to lose weight although I wouldn't mind building up some muscle eventually. I forgot to post my goal weight of 145 lbs. I have weighed this before so I think it's doable. I'm concerned about the nausea and the lack of desire to eat. The only other times I have felt like this was when I've been pregnant. With both pregnancies I was sick all of the time and didn't gain weight for the first few months. I know I am NOT pregnant right now so is it my diet? Are my hormones being thrown off?

Typical day's food:
    Breakfast: handful of pistachio nuts
    Lunch: hard-boiled egg
    Dinner: 4-6oz of steak or pork, spinach salad with strawberries, walnuts and goat cheese
    Snack: more pistachio nuts

I drink water, green tea or diet coke. I used to drink 4-6 cans a day and am trying to work down to zero. Right now I have two a day.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    It is very common for your appetite to cycle between non-existent and voracious when eating primal - especially in the beginning. Don't worry - in a week or two your hunger will return and then you'll be worried you are overeating!

If it persists more than a week or two check to make sure you are getting enough zinc - but I wouldn't worry right now.
    Thanks. Would a lack of zinc cause the nausea?

Hi cyanne! I just started primal about a month ago and definitely experience some days where I am not hungry at all. I don't make myself eat if I'm not hungry, so I'm sure I have very low calorie days. Then, other days, I'm super hungry! I say go with it and try not to worry too much.
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

I would worry if you weren't getting enough nutrients. Track them for a few days and see what you get. Just looking at that sample day of food I would guess you were missing some micros.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Cut out the nuts, if you are worried. Focus on meat and veggies.

Shop Now
    I experienced both in the beginning. Don't worry -- you won't accidentally fade away to 80 pounds. I say ride the wave while you can. When you begin exercising at a higher level, your appetite will return.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates