Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not eating much-is this a problem? page

cyanne is offline Junior Member

Not eating much-is this a problem?

Shop Now
    Hello,

I started to eat PB a week ago. I had cut out wheat for a month or so before this. I have had periods of nausea and my appetite is much smaller since beginning PB. Yesterday I only ate about 700 calories. I was eating a lot of nuts but I have cut that back in case it is causing my problems. My energy levels seem good and I have been sleeping about 6 hours per night without waking up-this is an improvement. I have lost two pounds this week!

Here is more info about me:
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight before I cut out wheat in June:196
    Weight when I started PB:186
    CW:184
    Female

Has anyone else experienced this nausea or lack of appetite?
    Thanks!

befitby40 is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes my calorie count is low. If your not hungry, feeling good and losing a safe amount of weight. I don't see it as a problem.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    What is a typical day's food? Are you getting enough fat?

Is you goal to lose weight, gin muscle or both?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It is very common for your appetite to cycle between non-existent and voracious when eating primal - especially in the beginning. Don't worry - in a week or two your hunger will return and then you'll be worried you are overeating!

If it persists more than a week or two check to make sure you are getting enough zinc - but I wouldn't worry right now.

Until yesterday I was averaging about 1200-1400 calories per day. My goal is to lose weight although I wouldn't mind building up some muscle eventually. I forgot to post my goal weight of 145 lbs. I have weighed this before so I think it's doable. I'm concerned about the nausea and the lack of desire to eat. The only other times I have felt like this was when I've been pregnant. With both pregnancies I was sick all of the time and didn't gain weight for the first few months. I know I am NOT pregnant right now so is it my diet? Are my hormones being thrown off?

Typical day's food:
    Breakfast: handful of pistachio nuts
    Lunch: hard-boiled egg
    Dinner: 4-6oz of steak or pork, spinach salad with strawberries, walnuts and goat cheese
    Snack: more pistachio nuts

I drink water, green tea or diet coke. I used to drink 4-6 cans a day and am trying to work down to zero. Right now I have two a day.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    It is very common for your appetite to cycle between non-existent and voracious when eating primal - especially in the beginning. Don't worry - in a week or two your hunger will return and then you'll be worried you are overeating!

If it persists more than a week or two check to make sure you are getting enough zinc - but I wouldn't worry right now.
    Thanks. Would a lack of zinc cause the nausea?

Grokarella is offline Member
    Hi cyanne! I just started primal about a month ago and definitely experience some days where I am not hungry at all. I don't make myself eat if I'm not hungry, so I'm sure I have very low calorie days. Then, other days, I'm super hungry! I say go with it and try not to worry too much.
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I would worry if you weren't getting enough nutrients. Track them for a few days and see what you get. Just looking at that sample day of food I would guess you were missing some micros.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Cut out the nuts, if you are worried. Focus on meat and veggies.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I experienced both in the beginning. Don't worry -- you won't accidentally fade away to 80 pounds. I say ride the wave while you can. When you begin exercising at a higher level, your appetite will return.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast