Thread: Beets vs Sweet Potatoes for POW Lean Gain? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Beets vs Sweet Potatoes for POW Lean Gain?

My crop of beets is coming up wonderfully, so I was wondering if a boiled beet will work as good as a sweet potato for a POW carbs on Lean Gain? Are they essentially the same, starches and sweet?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Beets are less carb-dense, so you'd have to eat a greater volume to get the same amount of carbohydrate. Per nutritiondata.com, beets have 10g carb (8 from sugar) per 100g, sweet potatoes have 18g (6 from sugar). The type of sugar in beets isn't specified, but I think it's mostly sucrose, so I think sweet potatoes might be a better bet for refeed fuel.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Well, they are not the same composition. Per 100 grams, beets have only 2 more grams of sugars and 13 grams less starch. Beets actually have no starch at all.

Will they work? Well, sweet potatoes are hard to replace because they're a very powerful food. They pack a punch of slower burning starches and tons of beta carotene.

I think they are fine to eat. They will help refill the glycogen and provide a little bit of energy. Maybe, a little more gets stored as fat...but energy is energy. If Lean Gain means that one meal at night, then definitely put them in there. They will provide you with some good stuff, but don't expect them to be quite as awesome as the sweet potato.

I'll rotate them then. I bet my beets will get a few points for being straight out of the garden, and seeing the two tubers are so different in color, they are most likely covering different ranges of nutrients. Mmgh, can't wait to pull the first of those beets out!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are a fall crop. Beets are good in the spring and summer when sweet potatoes are old and wrinkly. I eat both, in season.

Gordo

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I'll rotate them then. I bet my beets will get a few points for being straight out of the garden, and seeing the two tubers are so different in color, they are most likely covering different ranges of nutrients. Mmgh, can't wait to pull the first of those beets out!
    Or eat them together!

Also, beet greens count for something I think.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For bortsch, that's for sure Actually, the only thing I would have wanted to have a juicer for, is for the summer cold soup made from beet juice with some beet greens, eggs, cucumbers, radishes and herbs. That was one of my favorite summer things! Hmm, maybe I can pick up a used juicer....