Thread: Preserved lemon - is it meant to be like this? page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Preserved lemon - is it meant to be like this?

Primal Fuel
    I made some preserved lemons a few weeks ago - after 3 weeks they smelled divine and I put them in the fridge.

Today, I took some out to use - and the liquid they are in - the brine - has gone sort of viscous. Oily almost. I took some out, threw away the pulp and used it - it tasted OK. But does the brine normally go viscous or has it gone off?

If it is NOT supposed to be like this, can I remove the lemons, discard the pulp, rinse the rinds and then cover them with olive oil - or ought I to bin the lot and start again?

I'm loth to throw it out as the number of lemons and the sea salt came to quite a sum of money! But neither do I want to poison myself or guests.....

Animord is offline Member
    I have never actually made them myself, but apparently they do go viscous.

Moroccan Style Salt Preserved Lemons

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    From Animord's link, for those who don't want to click through and read:

Keep in the refrigerator. The lemons may develop a white film on the surface and the liquid will become viscous. This is as it should be. When ready to use a lemon, remove the lemon from the jar using something non-reactive and clean and rinse off the lemon you are using.

Preserved lemons keep several months in the refrigerator.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! The ones I used tasted ace - in a Moroccan type ratatouille. Usual ratatouille ingredients - red pepper, zucchini, eggplants, tomatoes, all tossed in olive oil and lots of coarsely ground cumin, roasted in oven until soft and then a handful of chopped mint, handful of chopped basil and a handful of chopped preserved lemon stirred in.

Divine! It was something I ate in Tangier and wanted to reproduce - it wasn't exact but close. I wonder if the original had chopped anchovy in it?