Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with cookware for Christmas present page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My wife specifically asked for new cookware so I'm going to get her some new stuff for Christmas. (other stuff on top of that as well).

Anyway, we have an electric, smooth glass top stove. What type of cookware do you guys recommend?

Looking to spend ~$150.

Something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8833056

hannahc is offline Senior Member

......I had T-fal cookware for a few years, until the nonstick surface starting flaking off into my food. Gross, and extremely unsafe.

I use Emerilware Stainless Steel cookware now that I got from Bed, Bath & Beyond for a good price, and you can very easily get 20% off coupons to use there as well.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stylePage.asp?order_num=-1&rn=397&rnt=0&ipp=15&brand=41

The coupon would make that particular set about $160, though I'm sure I didn't even pay that much for it. I think stainless steel, cast iron, and enamel coated cast iron (like le creuset) are the only ways to go, but I know some people won't let go of their non-stick cookware.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Thanks!

Does stainless cook well on electric with glass smooth top?

More concerned on finding the best type for my oven...

Yep I have an electric glass top myself. You have to heat the pans more slowly, and cook more around medium than on high with SS, but it's easy enough to get used to. That particular set can go right in the oven as well, because it's all metal.

You are what you eat,

Oh I forgot to add that you have to use a bit more fat to cook with than you do with non-stick, but I didn't think that would be an issue

You are what you eat,

lol no problem there... we use butter

so stainless steel it is... as other primals out there, we do a lot of cooking at home so figured it would be worth spending some money on something decent.

Thanks!

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

Check this out as well if you're a Costco member. Excellent quality.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11484952&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eC at=BC|89&N=4017641&Mo=148&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC &cat=56625&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Completely agree with hannahc on that.

I also have a smooth-top stove and use mainly stainless-steel and cast iron cookware, although I heard enamel coated cast iron works like a magic if you want to avoid sticky mess issues.

Like hannahc mentioned, the stuff will only be sticking to the surface if you don't put enough fat/oil on it. Properly seasoned cast iron cookware is like a non-stick pan, really.

If you're looking for a decent brand that's not going to break your budget, look up Martha Stewart stainless steel sets on K-Mart. They're really nice.

maba is offline Senior Member

I agree with Hannah and CC. I found some heavy bottom steel pots at TJ Maxx for a decent price. They're not a set. I buy a piece here, a piece there when I find them but it'll be more practical to buy an entire set when you know you'll be using them regularly.

As for the Enamel coated Cast iron, I'm eyeing one of them Le Creusets, maybe someday.

FairyRae2 Guest

My favorite go to pan is my 10 inch cast iron skillet. It's as good or better than my old teflon pans ever were. And I use stainless steel pots and pans for everything else. 10 inch in cast iron is a great size (IMO) b/c it gets pretty heavy and hard to manage if it's any bigger. I'd love to have 2!

My mom has a glass top and uses cast iron. (And she is VERY careful w/ her stove--she also makes sure to set it on gently etc. to make sure it doesn't harm the surface). No brands to recommend--I searched online and found my pan for $7 on *some* site, and it has been amazing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast