Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Grok in Japan (JPGrok) page

JpGrok is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Grok in Japan (JPGrok)

Shop Now
    I escaped from hospital last week: acute inflammation of my caecum (large intestine near the appendix) with a blood test result that would seriously embarrass Grok. When I was admitted, I had very high white blood cells, high c-reactive proteins and a host of other bordering-on-the-high-side results and slightly weakened kidney function.

With a week to think about things and a fresh read of Primal Blueprint cover to cover, I decided to give the primal lifestyle 100% when I got out. That was a week ago and I feel great. To keep me motivated, I thought I'd keep a journal - thanks for reading.

About JPGrok:
    Sex: Male
    Height: 6' 2" (188 cm)
    Weight: 171 pounds (78 kg)
    Fat: 19.8%

I'm tall and lean and years of poor food choices and frequent over-indulgence in beer and chips has left me in the least desired skinny-fat category. Before I checked in to hospital, I was 82 kg with 22% fat so it seems the lack of food has done me good! I live in the countryside of Japan, have good access to fresh vegetables in the summer and 6 months of cold, snowy winter. I have played with primal living before but never gave it 100%.

Goals:
    Firstly, I'd like to get my weight up to around 190 pounds (85 kg) and get my body fat down to around 15%. I'm not going to worry to much about the amount of food/calories I'm consuming but just see where the journey takes me and adjust if necessary.

I'll post what I do and eat and update weight/fat every week or so. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

JPGrok

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    primal in Japan is tough! there is a longish thread over here about Japan. good luck

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread3936.html
    Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Hi Valarauko, thanks for the link - good to know there are a few of us over here in Japan living like Grok. Yes, it's tough. It is a little easier up here in Hokkaido I think, plenty of fresh local seafood and an organic vegetable/fruit community. I'll post on the other thread about where I get all my goodies from when I find 5 mins.

Today's movements/food

Hot (30 C/86F ish), sunny and humid in Hokkaido, clouds on the mountains.

Up at 6:00, 3 egg omelette with coriander, flax oil, parmesan cheese, chilli peppers and salt. Fried in coconut oil. Handful of pecan nuts and a kiwi fruit.

8:00 Walk/hike/run around a local lake with my 2 year old (15 kg) on my shoulders. About 2.5 kms. Lots of insects and hot.

9:00 50 push ups (over about 7 sets, it was all I could do!) and 20 pull ups. Will increase these by 1 or 2 each time.

10:00 Walk to business partner's office (about 1 km) for meeting.

Lunch: Hokkaido wagyu beef (about 250 grams) with big salad of local-grown vegetables: cucumber, tomatoes, coriander, spinach, peppers. Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, balsamic and lemon juice dressing.

Snack: Two blocks of 70% chocolate (prefer 86% but have run out) and some more pecans. Ice water with freshly squeezed lemon juice.

15:00 Played football (soccer) outside with my shirt off for about 20 mins. I rubbed a little coconut oil on my shoulders as they always take the brunt of the sun. Followed by cold shower (Grok would have used a waterfall although there isn't one nearby) to cool down.

Dinner: Locally raised "Green Eye" chicken (no hormones or antibiotics but sadly not organic) with more salad, broccoli and cabbage.

I'm writing this before I have it but I'm sure I'll have another couple of blocks of chocolate and some nuts before bed.

I haven't used my brain much but I'll probably do a Sudoko before bed and read a little more of my novel. Another great day! Depending on how I feel, I'll either do some heavy squats or deadlifts tomorrow. Depending on the weather I will walk to work (2 km one way).

Forgot to mention, found 2 beautiful fillets of fresh spring trout, locally fished (not farmed) yesterday. Already looking forward to dinner tonight.

I felt pretty tired today so not much exercise, just 20 minutes playing outside with my 2 year old boy.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with flax oil and a little cheese, handful of pecan nuts.

8:00: 20 minutes reading my book outside in the sun.

Lunch: chopped organic cabbage with black olives, two cans of tuna with a little mayo, coriander, cucumber, tomato, dill pickle and lots of olive oil.

Snack: handful of Brazil nuts, three small blocks of 86% dark chocolate. 50 grams cheese.

Dinner: 250 grams of fresh local trout fried in butter with tomato-stewed zucchini, mushroom and onions (served cold). Fish was amazing, ate it all, skin and all.

Cheat: someone bought me a sweetened pre-packaged coffee, too polite to turn it down but threw half away. I feel a little bloated today, not sure if it was the coffee or perhaps too much salt somewhere.

Early start for work tomorrow but plan to squat heavy when I get home. I think it's getting close to sprint time when I get the energy, I might mix these up tomorrow if the weather is a little cooler, it was 30 degrees and humid today. If I get my squats in tomorrow, I'll go for a long walk on Wednesday.

Yesterday

Hot and sunny, cloudy in the afternoon.

Breakfast: 3 egg roll (Japanese style dashi-maki) with coriander, flax seed oil and paprika. Handful of nuts.

Pre-lunch: sprints (5 sets of about 100 metres on loose gravel road) followed by squats (4 sets of 50 kg (110 lbs)). I wanted to go heavier but the sprints had already given my legs a good workout.

Lunch: Two local wagyu steaks (about 250 grams) with big salad, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Afternoon: Played football in the sun with my boy for 20 minutes

Dinner: Chicken mince "hamburgers" with salad and broccoli

Snacks: a couple of handfuls of walnuts and brazil nuts and a few blocks of 86% chocolate.

Tired this morning (I have two small kids that like to wake up at night) and have a busy day at work: will try to get a long walk in at some point and a nap if possible. Deadlifts and bench press tomorrow.

Legs were a little sore today after yesterday's sprints and squats. Busy day at work and ate lunch out.

Wet and windy but still hot and humid.

Breakfast: 2 egg Japanese roll mixed with lots of spinach, flax seed oil and chilli pepper. Bowl of strawberries and full cream.

Lunch: Ate Japanese "soup" curry: lots of vegetables and meat in a watery "soup" curry. Sounds poor but tastes pretty good. No rice, extra meat. Tasted salty and sweet, never noticed this before. Not sure if I will choose to eat there again.

Dinner: Wasn't too hungry so ate a bit of left over steak and a small salad. Handful of nuts. If not hungry tomorrow morning will either skip breakfast or just have some fruit; I have some organic plums in the fridge.

Got back from work at 18:30 and took a stroll for about 3 km. I seem to have picked up a bit of a chesty cold (consequence of antibiotics at the hospital?) so energy levels are low. If I feel up to it, I'll do deadlifts, overhead press and bench press tomorrow.

Out of interest, does anyone else read this? No matter either way, it's still motivating. Just wondering.

Found out some interesting stuff about wagyu in Japan today; turns out the cows are often finished with grain and are given feed imported from the USA. I am disappointed to find this out and it has just made finding good meat in Japan one step harder. I have found a place that sells Australian grass fed beef so I guess that's where I'll go to next. Sigh.

Breakfast: 2 LL egg Japanese roll with cream, butter, parmesan cheese. Two plums with cream. Yum.

Pre lunch: 20 minutes in the sun throwing a ball around followed by 30 min workout:

Deadlift: 100 kg (220 lbs) x 5 (with two warm up sets with less weight)
    Barbell bent over row: 60 kg (130 lbs) 5 x 3 sets
    Bench press: 50 kgs (110 lbs) x 5/4/4/3/2 (thought I was stronger than this! Was going to start with 60 kg)

Lunch: Super hungry - 300 grams chicken breast fried in coconut oil, cabbage, mushrooms, olive oil, sauerkraut, red peppers, chopped brazil nuts and covered in butter. Was still hungry so ate a piece of cheese, more nuts and a piece of chocolate.

Dinner: Steak fried with garlic, chopped Kohlrabi slow fried in butter and a big spinach salad.

Will weigh in tomorrow morning. I bet you are all really excited about that.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yeah. They are reading. Just take a look at how many times your journal has been visited.

I'm finding this interesting.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast