Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Grok in Japan (JPGrok) page 3

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    JD - thanks for dropping by mine too. I left a longer reply on your page.

More heavy rain today but a little cooler.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with butter, chilli pepper and paprika.

Walked 2.5 km to work, slightly uphill. Cloudy when I left and the heavens opened when I was half way there. Thankfully I had an umbrella but I quite enjoyed walking in the rain - something I haven't done for ages.

Lunch: A chicken thigh cooked in some of the bacon fat from yesterday with some vegetables.

I played bowls (four 2-litre PET bottles and a tennis ball) in the front yard with my little boy for 30 mins when I got back from work - we both got wet and muddy. I wanted to walk home but a friend drove by and picked me up. I hadn't seen him in a while so I jumped in, it was good to have a short chat.

Dinner: Whole cabbage leaves stuffed with minced pork belly and herbs. Cooked with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in a tomato stew. After my beef feast yesterday I decided to leave the steaks until tomorrow.

Snacks: a little too much 86% chocolate and two small bowls of nuts.

Foolishly, I stepped on the scales today (Friday is my weigh-in day) and the scales told me I was the same weight and fat as when I started two weeks ago. Hoping this is just a blip - I feel and look stronger with less fat around my belly so I'm sure things are going well. I might have to throw the damn scales away.

Tomorrow will either be sprints or deadlifts/bent over rows/bench press. Maybe both if I have the energy.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    If you want encouragement that what you are doing is actually working, ditch the scales and get out the tape measure!

HB - jumping on the scales was a silly mistake. The mirror doesn't lie and I can see more veins, muscle and less fat so I know I'm doing things right. I'd love to get a bit more of a tan but we're already starting to run out of summer here in the north. I forgot how good it feels to catch some sun.

I felt a little tired today so avoided any strenuous exercise; my body told me to rest. Caught up with a good friend this morning and talked about some new business ideas then headed to work which was busy with lots of meetings and emails.

Breakfast: Leftover stuffed cabbage leaf with minced pork plus vegetables. Didn't feel like eggs today.

Lunch: Had to eat on the fly today. Managed to find some grilled chicken, stewed vegetables and a salad. Certainly not organic but better than the tasty-looking fried chicken and sandwiches.

After work: Beautiful evening today so ran around with a football outside for 20 minutes. Managed to get a good sweat on by sprinting around, passing imaginary defenders and scoring some fantastic goals. It's fun to be a kid again!

Dinner: 2 Aussie sirloin steaks with home made guacamole (avocado, lemon juice, pepper, salt, spices) and dipping sticks made from raw carrots, peppers and carrots.

I'm still a little hungry so no doubt I'll have some nuts (or something Grokish) before bed.

Tomorrow I'll do the deadlift/bent over rows/bench press workout. Grrrr. Plan to deadlift 110 kg and re do bench presses at 50 kg. Feel sure I'll nail 'em both.

Felt great today - up at 4:30 am with loads of energy. Busy, busy day with hard negotiations on a business deal which unlikely did my cortisol levels any good but managed to get some good strength training and food in.

Breakfast: Passion fruit (still undecided whether I like these, great taste but so gloopy and I can't help but crunch the seeds), two eggs with butter, a load of raw spinach, tomatoes and a handful of pecan nuts.

Mid-morning strength training (done in 30 mins):
    Deadlifts: 5 x 110 kg (242 lbs) (with a few warm ups, this felt pretty heavy but I think I'm sure I can manage 115 next time)
    Bent over rows: 60 kg (132 lbs) for 5/5/6
    Bench press: 50 kg (110 lbs) for 5/5/5/4/4 (better than last time, should nail this next week and move on)

Followed this with a quick whey protein shake before heading to more meetings.

Lunch: Two cans of tuna with organic macadamia oil, chopped dill pickle, mayo and avocado. Beef tomato with mozzarella and pesto, stringy cheese (oops) and some nuts. Unlikely that Grok would have had either mozzerella or string cheese but I'll count those as a semi cheat.

After work: 10 minutes outside with my boy running around. Barely broke a sweat.

Dinner: 1.5 chicken breasts fried in coconut oil with home made salsa (tomato, onion, herbs, vinegar, etc.) and more avocado. Handful of nuts and some 86% chocolate.

I managed to get hold of some 100% cocoa chocolate. Holy crap that stuff is bitter! It really took me by surprise how big a difference the 14% makes between 86 and 100. Not sure if I could get used to it so it may end up in some kind of primal desert before too long.

Tomorrow will be a walk or some sprints. Might even do some hill sprints if I can make the time.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    For some reason I thought you'd be eating wildly different food because of where you live, but that does not appear to be the case!

I try to keep up to date with almost all of the frequently updated journals everyday, but that's a lot!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

NW - thanks for dropping by. There are lots of interesting foods here but sadly, very few of them are primal - noodles, rice, tofu, etc. The Japanese use lots of sugar and soy in their cooking too so I tend to stay away. Lots of very fresh local seafood though which is great.

Today was a beautiful day: hot, sunny and dry with a nice cool breeze and big fluffy clouds. I spent about two hours outside and am consequently glowing a little. Awesome.

Woke up at 3:30 today which was a little too early but woke up bright and alert so took advantage of the peace and quiet to read my book and relax. Each day I seem to go to bed earlier and get up earlier. Is this normal? It's only 8 pm and I'm already sleepy.

Breakfast: Big chunk of bacon, scrambled eggs, tomato and a big handful of raw spinach covered in avocado oil.

Post breakfast: Visited a piece of land my company is thinking of buying to check out the views (which were good) and then came home and read my book in the sun for about an hour. Bliss. Still got to work by 10:00.

Lunch: Ran out of time so cooked up a 3-egg omelette with flax-seed oil, fresh parsley, red pepper and more tomato.

Mid-afternoon: came home to sprint and did 5 sets on the slightly uphill path by the ponds behind my house. About 100 metres, uneven and winding. Very primal. Gave it my all on the fifth set and pulled my right quad a little, nothing too major but a sixth set hurt so I decided to rest. Have some ice on it now, confident it'll be fine for next week. Had a protein shake after as I was hungry and needed to get back to work. Took a long cool shower afterwards and tested how low I could take the temperature. Came out with goose bumps.

After work: played football (soccer) with my 2 year old. I kicked it to him, he picked the ball up and threw it in the bushes. We repeated this for quite a while before skittles with PET bottles and chasing. Fun.

Dinner: Big fat Aussie shoulder steak cooked VERY rare. Plate of veggies and a home made sauce. Handful of Brazil nuts and a chunk of 86%.

Today's weigh in coming soon.

Friday weigh in

Body weight: 78.6 kg (173 lbs) -> 77.8 kg (171.5 lbs) GOAL: 85 kg (190 lbs)
    Body fat: 18.8% -> 18.0% GOAL: 15%

Lean body mass: 63.8 kg (140.5 lbs) -> 63.8 kg (140.5 lbs) no change

Well, my lean body mass stayed the same but I lost 0.8% body fat. I think I'll take that. This takes me further from my weight goal but closer to the fat loss goal. Fair result.

Distance left to 1st goal. Weight: +18.5 pounds to go. Body fat: -3.0% to go. If I hit the fat goal first, it looks like I'll need to start eating more.

I've found that the electrical impedance scales I have tend to swing by 1.5% body fat depending on how hydrated I am and when I've eaten food. This is the general pattern:

Morning: lower body weight, medium body fat
    Afternoon: medium body weight, lower body fat
    Evening: higher body weight, higher body fat

To keep things fair, I've used the same timing as last time, in the afternoon. Will keep to this as I keep posting. Next goal is to stay away from the scales until next Friday.

JDough MO is offline Member
    Nice work! Keep on Grokin' in the land of the rising sun! I'll be posting up a progress update Sunday evening.

JD

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for stopping by my journal. Just curious, will you be happy if you reach your desired body fat percentage at a lower weight? I assume the extra weight will coming from increasing muscle mass. Is that correct?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    JD - thanks! Looking forward to your update.

Athanasey - I don't mind losing a little weight as long as the fat is coming down and the lean mass is staying the same. My weight goal is based on more muscle.

Huge thunderstorm here this morning followed by a sunny afternoon.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette with spicy spring onions, 2 kiwi fruits and a handful of nuts.

Lunch: Two large sausages made with good ingredients, some spicy curried fish (given to me by a friend who runs an Indian restaurant) and some cabbage/other veggies. Bowl of organic blueberries (starting to get sour now but blackberries coming soon!).

Post lunch: outside in the sun with my boy who played in the puddles and mud. Got a good dose of sun for 30 minutes or so.

Dinner: Ate out for the first time in a while at a Japanese izakaya. Grilled chicken and pork skewers, deep fried chicken tempura, a radish salad, a grilled fish and some deep fried cheese rolls. I also enjoyed a big glass of beer which wasn't very primal but we all need a little treat every now and then. As Mark says, if you do have a treat, enjoy it - there is no point feeling guilty about it. I could have easily gone for a second beer but managed to show restraint. The strange thing is that I used to love this place but it wasn't so good today. Not sure whether my palette has changed but it was too salty and the food wasn't cooked well. No doubt I got a big hit of omega 6 with the oils too.

Took the family to a summer festival today. I got interviewed by a TV station about life in Japan but I have no idea when it will be broadcast. Drove out later to watch the fireworks - the little one loved them. Also finished the second book in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Already downloaded the third one - it's the first time I've enjoyed fiction for ages and find it perfect before sleep.

Tomorrow I'll do the lake circuit with my boy and then push ups/pull ups. Feeling strong so will aim for 60 push ups and 25 pull ups over however many sets it takes.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast